• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

LoveFab is about to revolutionize the NSX turbo market - Again!

Here is a data log screen shot from our latest development testing. In this test, we were using our old GT45R that was installed on the 1000 HP shop car.

Lovefab_GT4508R_6-9-09_test1.jpg

Take a look at the screen shot and note the vertical white cursor line and the corresponding data parameters on the upper right side of the screen. We were targeting 16 PSI and hit that 16 PSI boost target just before 3700 RPM!

This was done using no tricks like anti-lag, we aren't spraying nitrous or any other injected substance like water/meth, and there are no additives in the fuel. The car is running straight 92 unleaded from the local gas station and the engine is the same 9.5:1 compression build we've been using for a few years now. We simply stabbed the throttle around 2000 RPM in 4th gear and hear are the results.

1100+ HP capable turbo kit and 16 PSI by 3700 RPM. How does full boost by ~2500 RPM with our typical 400 - 500 HP kit sound? More to come soon...

A twin inline turbo system similar to what Boost Logic has been doing for a while with the Supra will do the trick. It is amazing to see what that type of turbo system does to the Supra, cant imagine what it will do to a C30 motor. We are curious to see how our fellow Yokohama teamate does with it on the Supra at TA. But thats just a guess:smile:

I think there is a big misunderstanding of what "lag" truly is.

It may be my own interpretation but IMO turbo "Lag" is the time difference after a throttle input to get the response from the motor. People who criticize turbocharged cars for their 'lag' primarily focus on the fact that naturally-aspirated cars respond immediately to throttle inputs. When you make any changes in the throttle, the engine responds immediately with no time difference or hesitation.

Hitting full boost under load at "X" RPM does NOT determine/prove/quantify turbo lag or lack of lag. All it tells you is under an extreme scenario, what rpm is possible for the compressor to achieve maximum boost pressure given a heavy load for a sustained period of time. These conditions will never be seen on the road or track unless you keep the car in an overly high gear, and keep it floored at a low RPM. You might do this when passing a car on the freeway but it takes time for the turbo to spool up (lag) at that low rpm to achieve full boost at "X" RPM. Again their is a big time discrepancy between when you go to full throttle, and when you hit maximum boost. Thus it is not responsive.

"Lag" should be shown as boost pressure over time with a parallel trace for throttle position. Showing the time difference or manifold pressure increase/response after full throttle was reached is the only way to accurately display 'lag'. "Lag" is in reference to time anyway, not RPM.

A twin inline turbo system similar to what Boost Logic has been doing for a while with the Supra will do the trick. It is amazing to see what that type of turbo system does to the Supra, cant imagine what it will do to a C30 motor. We are curious to see how our fellow Yokohama teamate does with it on the Supra at TA. But thats just a guess:smile:

compound turbos from boost logic are pretty nice. They showed me all their 1200 whp street set up when I got me car tuned up there last month. I think they got the idea from turbo disel truck

Well all I know is if it boost 16psi at 3700rpm on the street, then I am super jealous. Cuz mine don't even come close to that. And you say full boost at 2500 with the 500hp kit????!!!! DAAAAAAAMN.

Time to start asking questions

Cody, are you working within the confines of the car, or is setup occupying trunk space as well.

Re: Time to start asking questions

Cody, are you working within the confines of the car, or is setup occupying trunk space as well.

Josh,
Cruise on up here to MI and we can drive up to see Cody and then on up to our cottage. Bring the wife.
Tim

Oooooo.....you drive a hard bargain Tim. :biggrin: You should have made that offer during ski/board season. I liked it up there so much that I was thinking of moving.

I take it that you and I need to sneak into Cody's Skunkworks to get the scoop. I'll be boating in around Waterford, MI during July 4th, but will be there with another couple. Our spy mission here is important, so I need to find a time to take you up on your offer.

Next week I find out if I will be building my motor or not. (Magic 8ball shows, "Signs point to yes.") If so, it is turbo projects like Cody's here that give me something to look forward to.

Cheers,
Josh

Thanks for the comments guys. We are really pumped about all the success with the R&D as we have been working on the concept for a very long time. It's pretty wild to have 450 ft. lbs of torque to the tire on tap well before 4000 RPM with this big of a turbo. Even more wild is the 510 ft. lbs. we are still making above 7000 RPM with no significant drop-off in sight. Dare I say it almost feels V8ish :)

Obviously a stock engine wouldn't take numbers like this for very long. With a smaller turbo combination, we are working to make a table flat torque curve starting below 3000 and continuing all the way up the RPM range.

Josh - Every turbo kit we've made to date (with the exception of our personal shop car) fits within the confines of the stock car / chassis. The new concept will be the same way - simply drop the stock exhaust and start installing the turbo kit in its place.

Vega$ - I am removing the passenger seat to make room as we speak.

Cody,

For those of us who have some of your first budget kits, is this something that we could upgrade to later on down the road? Is it as simple as dropping the current turbo and popping in this one? Obviously, I am talking about those who have built motors, etc....

Thanks,
Nathanb

Any more details on how this would effect the stock-engined based kits? A couple of weeks ago it was stated more details would be revealed soon, we're waiting.

Bummer, after reading the thread title, I was expecting one of these:

faktenfusion2.jpg

:tongue:

Looks like it could be a functional hood scoop protruding through a lexan hatch.

Cody: congrats again and much success with this new setup.

Regards,

Danny

We decided to abandon "kit" production of this setup because it adds even more cost. Everyone complains about the price of our systems so why go against the grain?

If you crave the performance of the NSX with the torque of a V8, we can very easily build a setup to give you that performance. We will need the car in-shop for the fabrication and the tuning. The result is mind-blowing.

Otherwise, there we will not be shipping this system in kit-form as the cost just doesn't allow this in today's Marketplace.

So is this then considered a Stage 4? From looking at your webpage, you have been Tinkering with compound turbo, so this is likely what we have here. I can't imagine trying to make this into a "kit" and agree with you that the market for it just isn't there. But that doesn't mean that we wouldn't enjoy the details of your devil.

Cody, we have exchanged emails on occasion. I have always planned on meeting you in person when the time is right. Do you have any intentions of attending NSXPO this year? I still owe you a promised drink. I would love to share with you my car's progression since our last communiqué.

Cheers,

Josh

Nobody has jumped in yet, the extra cost is just not appealing in this day and age.

We've got a couple of builds happening at the moment so we are pretty busy as it is. We decided at the last minute to bunker down and stay working in the shop while the rest of you all enjoy Expo! :)

So this was a twin inline turbo after all? Seems like the mystery was never officially revealed after this teaser.

Nobody has jumped in yet, the extra cost is just not appealing in this day and age.

We've got a couple of builds happening at the moment so we are pretty busy as it is. We decided at the last minute to bunker down and stay working in the shop while the rest of you all enjoy Expo! :)

Look for me in the spring, I'm getting the shakes, I guess it is crack pipe withdrawal. 7K miles since last spring, need to turn up the boost and dial in some more low end torque, you have to hook me up with new coilovers though:biggrin:

Back