• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lowering your NSX. The practical question

I just put Eibachs on with stock shocks and am very pleased...lowered about 1.25"~1.50" all around...although I actually didn't measure stock height before they got installed...the huge gap between fender and tire is gone...running stock wheels (16's/17's)...I can't really tell any significant difference in ride quality...feels a tad tighter, but not uncomfortable by any means and really very slight...I'd strongly recommend if you just want to lower to remove the gap...

And I can still get over some pretty tall speed bumps in my neighborhood without scraping or angling the approach...Tho, I have scraped the lip on a few steep driveways that were no issue at stock height...:rolleyes:

I found them used on Prime!...and thank you Ramon and Tom for the suggestion!

I hope this is related and not off-topic but i've had bilsteins installed for about a week now. I'm seriously shocked at how much more firm the ride is. Mind you, i'm still on stock springs. I'm noticing squeaks and creaks in the cabin I never had before. I wish I would have ordered OEM valving on my Bilsteins.

It's still a controlled firm meaning the car doesn't feel unsettled going into long bumpy sweeping turns... but i'm no suspension expert either.

I have Eibachs on Koni yellows and am very pleased with them. The car is at a perfect height in terms of looks, and I can still make it over fairly large speed bumps without scraping (but go sloooow). However, on certain driveways and gas stations, it scrapes even if I cut it. That's why I have the plastic chin spolier, which I don't mind getting jacked up. Much cheaper to replace than a painted front bumper!

I have bilsteins and stock springs. Strangely it seems I had more problems with scrapping my front end at the stock height. I guess I am just more careful now.
Although I think my rear is more exposed to scrape now with my diffuser....but I still have yet for that to even happen....which is pretty good considering Michigan's roads.

I like the drop in your pic. Having a car as low as ours can also be a PITA when you walk out to the parking lot and can't find it because it is a foot lower than all the other cars around it.

haha this happens to me every time I go out... I always think my car is gone because I can't see it and start sweating...lol

Dang guys now you tell me. I just bought the downforce front lip. It is super sweet but, it scratches even easier than the factory lip and my car is factory height. I also have the Stacy style Downforce side skirts. I went to my local Acura dealer for an oil change [Acura in Oklahoma City] and they said they couldn't service the car for fear of damaging the skirts on the lift. So I was forced to go to my other mechanic at Precision Tune Auto who completed the change with a pit. My question is, what do you guys do for service in the Oklahoma City area? Oh and when I put my 18x19 inch Momo rims on the car, with everything else stock, they could not get the car on the thing to align it. Where can I get my vehicle aligned and where do you guys go when your car is lowered. Shit I am having trouble at the stock height. Please help.

If you guys don't mind me asking, what is the part number for the Bilsteins struts? Also, why do guys prefer struts and springs over a full coilover set? I haven't lowered my car yet, but I was thinking of buying a set of Tein Flex coilovers (1400 shipped). A set of springs and struts set you about $900 bucks or so, so why go that route? For an extra $500 smackers you can completely change your settings to your like. Also, are the Bilsteins adjustable? Anyone here know of anyone running the Megan coilover set from Ebay? The price is $885. It's setting allows you to do more than the Bilstein,Zanardi etc... regarding settings.

If you guys don't mind me asking, what is the part number for the Bilsteins struts? Also, why do guys prefer struts and springs over a full coilover set? I haven't lowered my car yet, but I was thinking of buying a set of Tein Flex coilovers (1400 shipped). A set of springs and struts set you about $900 bucks or so, so why go that route? For an extra $500 smackers you can completely change your settings to your like. Also, are the Bilsteins adjustable? Anyone here know of anyone running the Megan coilover set from Ebay? The price is $885. It's setting allows you to do more than the Bilstein,Zanardi etc... regarding settings.

I thought about going to full coilovers, dali even sells an adjustable perch for the bilsteins which would end up costing the same price as the teins, springs shocks and adjustable perches. However after I thought about it and looked at cars with my set-up I realized I really wasn't going to be changing the ride height on any sort of regular basis. And in all honesty I don't see going too much lower and keeping it streetable...of course prime member here FeetFxr may disagree as I think he has about a 2.25" drop or so and seems to be fine in Orlando. Of course that means we pay attention to different things on the road. Me I watch for coke cans etc on the road...him, I think he watches for loose change:biggrin:

Besides if you do you change your height significantly you will have to get an alignment when you do change. Another alternative that many don't know about is that you can get custom perch heights cut into the body of the Bilsteins for additional height options. I don't think its too much, maybe $25 per shock.

Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice.

I am looking to lower my car, just to reduce the wheel arch gap. It is currently running rather new 05 OEM spring and shocks, which I replaced when I bought the car about 3 years ago.
The car came with old Hipermax 2 coilovers, which were very harsh, especially for the bad roads we have here. The car is not tracked as we do not have a race track here.

From what I have read on the forum, to retain as close to OEM ride as possible, is to go either of 2 routes.
Bilstein Shocks (Lower Perch) / OEM Spring or
OEM Shocks / Tein S.Tech lowering Spring.

Bilstein Shocks - I have read that the ride could get a little bouncy. I have not experienced a car using this setup so I am not sure what this would be like, or how severe it is.
Tein S.Tech - It seems that this would cause a significant shortening of the life of the OEM Shocks, as it is not calibrated for the spring and the lowered height. I am not sure how short this means either. 2 years?

Any advice would be great. Thanks

I have tein s springs on 05 oem shocks in my 93 for well over 3yrs and still fine.

I finally went KW after years of indecision and would never look back. The car handles and rides like a modern sports car and in my opinion is more comfortable than the new nsx on bumpy roads. They are really that damn good. Just takes a bit to get the height and handling adjustments dialed into your own tastes. I don't track either. They are 200% worth the cost.

I've been 50/50 on if to lower my NA1. I value ride quality and given that the stock suspension is good enough for my skills i'm not really looking to sacrifice much to have the lowered look. With that said, I love the lowered look and would like to lower it to 1-1.25" for aesthetics.

I think i'm settled on going with the stock springs & Bilsteins on the lower perch for the best compromise.

Here's the question(s):
** Practically speaking how inconvenient would a .80" drop be compared to stock?

I'm already having to sideways cut some dips so that my chin doesn't take too much of a beating (in stock height) and don't have any problems with speed bumps scraping the undercarriage. If this means i'm going to be scraping speed bumps I don't think lowering it is worth that.
*** If I lowered to the .80" would that be enough to considerably introduce belly scraping, more sideways cutting dips, exhaust scraping?

On my S2000 I liked the Konis on the lower perch. It was a great balance for me without much scraping. Hoping for the same on the NSX.

Regan,

we need your opinion here for your 2008 thread.

Thanks,

Regan,

we need your opinion here for your 2008 thread.

Thanks,
Haha! I've certainly learned a lot since then and it's been the ride of my life owning this NSX (actually I had 2 at a time).

The Bilsteins are a nice bang for your buck stock damper replacement. For a street car and mild track car it can be acceptable. However, it is quite firm and a little jarring but the body control is much better than stock shocks on lowering springs. Keep in mind these are Bilstein's "HD". HD stands for "Heavy Duty". How do you think that will ride?

Some of you folks know that I went thru several damper assemblies in search for my perfect setup. Folks also know how I like to save pennies anywhere I can. It was worth it to spend good money on a set of JRZ's and I'm not looking back. They have really enhanced my driving experience.

I used to run the bilsteins on lower perch with oem springs, but wanted it just a tad bit lower yet softer so I went with HnR springs on Bilsteins on upper perch...

24711501159_2d21e884e0_k_d.jpg

Last edited:
Back