• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Made a mistake with Zaino, how should I correct?

Sig

Experienced Member
I Dawned it first, then clayed it, then Z7 car washed it, then Z5ed it with ZFX.... 3 coats. The mistake was not making sure the paint was completely clean before applying the Z5.

The Zaino products were great, especially the Z5 and ZFX combo. They went on easy and came off easier leaving an amazing shine. BUT,and a big but, upon close inspection under good lights I noticed that parts of the car have faint spotting left over underneath the protectant that I could not see until it was too late. Arghh. What to do?

My initial thoughts, were to remove the Zaino Z5 coats then use the a paint cleaner like HD cleanse from Zymol or Meguir's. Then reapply the Zaino.

Can you use a paint cleaner from these other vendors immediately before Z5 as you do with wax or will the products react poorly with one another?

In addition, what should I use to strip the Zaino, Dawn??

Thanks.

Sig,

Here's what I would try...

I would try using the Z6 Enhancer in a small area to see if it removes the spots.

If it works, then simply Z6 the entire car.

If it doesn't work I'd give Sal Zaino a call (732-833-8800) or email ([email protected]).

You can also try Carl Voellm - http://www.hcvind.com/ - [email protected] - 215-938-0991. He's my local distributor and he has a wealth of car care/Zaino knowledge.

-Jim

PS: Dawn will remove old wax, but not Zaino. Check with Sal or Carl for the best way to proceed.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I have noticed these blemishes as well. They appear after the car has sat for a while. They look like smudge marks from greasey fingers. They are a pain. The car can be perfectly clean, use the zaino let it sit for 2 hours. Wipe off, looks great, come back 2hrs later and I can always find smudge marks. Z6 usually removes it. Anyone have a explanation for this.

im a little curious why you are so all zaino hapyy when im told they dont take orders, dont have credit/debit card capacity and want me to send my money in first, before they fill my order.

AARRGGHHH.... someone tell me the zaino is worth it considering what you have to go through to get it....whaaatt is wrong with these people.?????

Yes Zaino is worth it.

However....

There are numerous Zaino distributors and many of them accept credit cards. Zaino can help you find one closest to you.

You can also get Zaino here...
http://www.ecklers.com/

(Just do a search on Zaino in the search field on the left hand side of the home page).

Hope this helps.

-Jim

------------------

Are these 'spots' your talking about water spots? Zaino is a great system, but the key to it all is prep work. Really i never Zaino a car untill i spend lots of time perfecting the paint underneeth. This usually includes clay, using a good paint cleaner, and a mild abrasive to remove those darn swirls. Only after all this do i go for the Z5. From what it sounds like they might be waterspots.

Either way, they are most likely traped under the zaino. A good test is to get some white vinigar and put some on a cotton towell and rub it onto one of the spots. See if that breaks it up. If not then your probably going to have to strip the Zaino with a good chemical or lightly abrasive cleaner and get the paint perfect.

There are a lot of good products that do a great job cleaning, and add a little more depth and shine to the paint pre zaino. Here's a list. If you have swirls check out 3Ms Swirl Mark Remover for either light or dark colored cars (depending on which you have). If the swirls are minor and you just want to get those spots you can try Pinacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. Or the cleaner from P21S. All those are availible from www.properautocare.com.

If they are waterspots and the car is a dark color they might be a little tough. I had some spots on my black Civic SI traped under 9 coats of zaino. I had to break out the buffer and a cutting pad with some abrasive (3M Finese It-II) stuff to get rid of them.

If you have further questions feel free to ask.

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
I have noticed these blemishes as well. They appear after the car has sat for a while. They look like smudge marks from greasey fingers. They are a pain. The car can be perfectly clean, use the zaino let it sit for 2 hours. Wipe off, looks great, come back 2hrs later and I can always find smudge marks. Z6 usually removes it. Anyone have a explanation for this.

Anyone? Long time Zaino users? Mine are not water spots(car is only driven in the sun). They are not there initially after removing the Zaino. They appear about an hour or two later. They look like greasy finger smudges.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 05 June 2002).]

I'm confused. I don't know if it's the details - but Zaino seems like a big pain in the azz. I admit, I've never gone through the whole process, but it seems complicated - I mean look at all the posts and advice on making sure you do everything exactly right or you won't get the results. With all that being said, I've never done it, but even if I was, I'd have to read 10 hours of posts (all which seem to contradict each other). Is there anyone in Tampa, FL that uses this (or any other system) that we can get together and I can see this stuff face to face?

SUPO,

Zaino is the exact opposite of being a pain in the ass. I use it because it's easy and works well.

Many of the "rules" apply to all products universally. Things like claying, what towels to use, etc.

As with any product you have to start with a clean car.

The Zaino process is very simple and straightforward, although there are a lot of rumors and misconceptions.

With the advent of the ZFX the process is easy. Assuming you have a clean, clayed car you apply the product sparingly(Z2 or Z5) and remove it.

You can also apply the Z6 gloss enhancer between coats for touch-ups.

Of course, like anything, you can make it complex if you want. Many Zaino users find the results so addicitive that they'll apply many coats.

-Jim

------------------

What I do is to first start by trying to only wash the car in the coolest possible temps. No direct sun and preferrably when the car is cool. Early morning or dusk work best. This helps to stave off water spots from drying too soon.

I have a portable high-speed leaf 200 MPH blower and it gets most of the water off. It also does a great job on the crevases.

Then I finish off with a soft 100% cotton towel.

-Jim

------------------

Leaf blower is a nice way.. but not everyone has one handy. The best way to dry a car is actually to use the water... If the car has wax or zaino or some type of product on it, than more than likely it will either bead or sheet water. By using the hose (no spray nozel just the hose itself) you can get about 90% of the water off the car. All you do is start at the top with a good flow of water and use the inertia from the hoze to sort of sheet the water off. It takes a little bit of practice, but you'll get the hang of it. Basically you just create a wave of water that you use to push the rest off.. it leaves just a few drops here and there. To get rid of those i blot them with the Big Blue Drying Towel, http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html It's super soft and really does absorb a ton. Though any drying towel would work (ie absorber). The big issue though is not to do any rubing. If you see a spot, blot it, don't rub over it. This is what leads to swirls and such.

------------------
NSX lover and Professional Detailer

Zaino is fairly easy to use. It's nice because it comes off easy and you don't have to worry about it getting stuck in hard to get to areas.

No response to my question? Thats alright it's still a mystery to me as well.

My guess for those smudges would either be zaino that wasn't fully removed that just got smeared when you were removing (i like to go over the car once with one towel, then again with another to get it all) or the towel your using to remove it could have something on it that is getting put on the car. If Z6 gets rid of it i wouldn't worry about it. It's best to z6 often with zaino, including between coats.

nsxxtreme,

The smudges are most likely areas where you have applied too much Zaino.

Of course, I can't say for sure, but in my experience, if you apply too much you can have that happen.

Use Zaino very, very, very sparingly.

-Jim

------------------

Thanks everyone.

Jim,
I thought I had put it on pretty thin.
I will try even less next time to see what happens. It is just wierd how its not there, and then it appears 2hrs later.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 08 June 2002).]

Zaino is a synthetic polish. It's very durable and most car wash soaps and detergents will not remove it.

That's why it protects so well.

-Jim

------------------

Back