• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MagicJack

Do I need to purchase the "Scout" system for each of the the other cordless handsets or will the main unit support the two cordless handsets? Anyone had a difficulty of keeping their phone numbers? Quality?

I have a similar setup that you do -- I have a base unit that has an answering machine, plus two cordless phones (one in the kitchen, one upstairs). I've had them for over a decade, and they worked on my old PacBell/SBC/AT&T line, my Comcast Voice, and now my Ooma. No need to buy the Ooma branded phones, if you don't want to.

Porting my phone number was pretty much hassle-free, if:
a) you've got all your documentation from your previous phone company (account numbers, etc.),
b) $40 (waived if you buy Ooma premier, which I didn't)
c) Two weeks of time to wait. Don't cancel your old phone service just yet. While I was waiting I hooked up an old phone to the Ooma for testing. Once the old phone started answering calls on my main number, I unplugged it and plugged in my cordless setup mentioned above, and it all worked smoothly, with no downtime.

Call quality is as good as my Comcast voice line, and probably better than my ancient POTS AT&T phone line. If you have a separate modem and router, Ooma recommends installing the box in between these two so that the Ooma has a direct line to the internet and can maintain QOS. We watch a lot of Netflix streaming around here, and I haven't noticed any loss of quality while talking and streaming simultaneously (this is on a Comcast "Blast" 20 Mb/s internet connection).

According to what I was paying for my Comcast voice line, I'll break even on the cost of the Ooma box in about six months. I'll let you know then if it's too good to be true.

Our AT&T home service is going up again and also doing research...

Has anyone signed up with Net Talk? http://www.nettalk.com/competition

Net talk duo hardware is $70 and includes the first year of yearly recurring cost of $30.

They seem to be better than the magic jack device, but being a newer service, hard to find a lot of reviews.

I like the fact that no computer is required, a fairly low initial cost and presently only about $18 more per year than the OOMA device (requiring $12/year unless premiere plan).

However, no porting of existing numbers yet, per this kbase section. :frown:

Purchased the Ooma unit yesterday from Amazon. Will let you know how it works once I get and install it. My Comcast bill is ridiculous.

Purchased the Ooma unit yesterday from Amazon. Will let you know how it works once I get and install it. My Comcast bill is ridiculous.

We just got the $5 increase on AT&T so I'm ready to ditch them for something more reasonable. AT&T's fees of $30/month with no additional services, no call waiting, etc, and zone 0 (spitting distance only) calling only is ridiculous.

Dtrigg... How is that OOMA working out? I'm leaning towards that option.

Dtrigg... How is that OOMA working out? I'm leaning towards that option.

I'm two months into my Ooma, and so far it's great. Setup was simple, my old phone number ported easily, and it works with my existing phones. I got about four months to go for break even, and after that it's all gravy with the Ooma.

I've had Ooma for about 3 years now and it's a love/hate relationship. Love not having a phone bill. Hate the occasional service interruption. My internet supplier is Comcast with a fast connection. My main complaint is calls getting dropped, and second is call quality. It seems that certain numbers that I call get dropped more often than others. Of course when I contact Ooma they say its comcast's problem and comcast says its Ooma's. It is liveable. And of course we have our cell phones for backup.:rolleyes:

My main complaint is calls getting dropped, and second is call quality.
How do you have your Ooma installed? I found that when I plugged it in to my router, call quality dropped -- but when I had it inline in between my modem and router, call quality is as good as my previous Comcast Digital Voice service, and probably better than my old PacBell POTS service.

I have it as you have. Modem-Ooma-Router. Have had EVERYTHING double checked by Comcast. Upgraded all the wiring, even got a new drop from their pod to the house. Don't get me wrong, I do like getting my phone for free, but the quality and dependability are sadly lacking. I blame Comcast, not Ooma. I have periodically checked my download speed and voip quality on speedtest.net and voiptest.net and occasionally when i run back to back tests the results go from A+ to D-. The consistancy is just not there. That is why I drop calls in my opinion. With surfing its usually just fine :frown:

Last edited:
If you use Ooma how quickly after the install/purchase of their equipment are they able to port/transfer the current phone number to their system.
I want to cancel AT&T but, want my current phone number to be out of commission for a minimal amount of time.

If you use Ooma how quickly after the install/purchase of their equipment are they able to port/transfer the current phone number to their system.
I want to cancel AT&T but, want my current phone number to be out of commission for a minimal amount of time.

For me it was about two weeks to port the number. But the solution is simple: just keep a phone plugged in to both services during the transfer. When the phone connected to the Ooma rings, the transfer is done. Zero downtime.

I ordered Ooma today. Do you have to wait for the equipment to start the porting process? How do you start the process?

I ordered Ooma today. Do you have to wait for the equipment to start the porting process? How do you start the process?

Yes, you have to wait until you get the equipment to begin porting, as you'll need an account, and the account is created when you plug in the equipment.

Once you have the account, you can log in to my.ooma.com and click on the big button to port the number. If you subscribed to Ooma Premier, it's free; otherwise it's $40.

Yes, you have to wait until you get the equipment to begin porting, as you'll need an account, and the account is created when you plug in the equipment.

Once you have the account, you can log in to my.ooma.com and click on the big button to port the number. If you subscribed to Ooma Premier, it's free; otherwise it's $40.

PERFECT!

Thank you!!!

I've had Vonage for years and with taxes and fees, i pay roughly $15/mo. Their $9.99 plan gives me 200 outbound + unlimited inbound, which is plenty for me. I use about less than 100 minutes/month and that's because I either don't have my cell phone with me, I call my cell phone to locate it, or people call my Vonag line(mostly telemarketers). It's the peace of mind that I'm looking for really. When I pick up the phone, I get a dial tone and the quality has been great for me so far (knock on wood).

With Magicjack, you have to leave your computer turned on at all times. This is a draw back in my opinion. But for a lot of folks, they don't mind it at all. A friend of mine used it and didn't like the fact that he missed a call due to the fact that his daughter turned off the computer. Having a designated computer would make sense in this case but i think that's stretching for me imo.

With Ooma, I believe if the device goes bad, you're done. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Bob,

Just one more Ooma question. If you port your number on one IP address
then move to another residence do you know how and if you can continue
to use that same telephone number?

no kidding? you can really get a conventional phone + magic jack and call the US land line for free?

Had issues with my first Magic jack. Went to wally world and use it in all countries to call the US. Pretty badass for a cost effective way to save. First phone bill in a 2 week span ran 1500+. After spending the 50+ dollars never looked back. I used Vonage and really never liked it. Skype was hit and miss being in a foreign country. I needed to make an emergency call and busted out my phone got online plugged in a socket and made a call from Korea to the US LOL.

=g=

Just one more Ooma question. If you port your number on one IP address then move to another residence do you know how and if you can continue to use that same telephone number?

The number follows the box, and doesn't care about the IP address. You should be able to take the box anywhere in the world, and as long as it has a sufficiently fast and reliable internet connection, it should work with your phone number.

I think I will be joining the Ooma club shortly. My Comcast contract just finally expired and they upped my bill to $185/month for phone, tv and internet. I'm trying to find a way to get rid of the TV part that will still meet the wife acceptance factor, but unfortunately I don't think it's possible yet. All her reality TV shows, plus allowing FF thru commercials plus kids' shows with easy UI and remote.

Perhaps a TiVo with an OTA antenna ..... plus Boxee or Roku with Hulu. Still need to research that, but I intend to chop at least $100/month off that bill ASAP.

Perhaps a TiVo with an OTA antenna

That's where I'm at. TiVo + OTA = very high WAF, assuming she watches mostly broadcast channels. Add in Netflix streaming at $8/month for movies and some legacy series (like every Star Trek episode), and you've got a real cheap teevee setup.

Ooma for phone, buy the box and phone service is free forever (except for taxes).

My problem now is that I have so many internet enabled devices in the house that I'm running into the Comcast bandwidth limit of 250 GB. Two months ago I blew past it; last month I had to monitor it closely (came in at 230); this month is going to be close as well. I'm going to try to talk them into giving me Business Class -- I'll have to drop my speed down a level to keep to cost low, but Business Class has no cap. And if I upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.0 modem I should be able to maintain good bandwidth.

With Ooma, I believe if the device goes bad, you're done. Please correct me if i'm wrong.
Three years since last post; three and a half on the Ooma -- still going strong. $0 phone bills for over three years is rather sweet.

I suppose if the box dies I can get another box. The bigger worry is if the Ooma company goes out of business. I suppose at that point I'd just ditch my landline once and for all. All the kids these days just use their mobiles after all; I reckon this old man could do so too.

Also still using ooma here. Zero issues after 3 yeats. One of my best tech purchases ever. Totally meets the wife acceptance factor.

Back