• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Maintenance Costs, Any Thoughts

OK, I have gone through various threads in the forums and have found some good information about the costs for recommended maintenance and wanted to get some feedback on my specific situation. I have a 95 with 62K miles and am looking at getting various services done on my car, including a new OEM clutch, 60K service (including T-belt and WP), rear brakes and oil pan gasket (also may need to replace vtech seals and cam plugs as needed). Dealer quote is $4,600, which seems high based on what I have read. Dealer would not provide a complete detailed breakdown, but quoted approximately $1,965 in parts ($1215 for clutch, $250 for 60K package, $400 for T-Belt package, $80 for rear pads and $25 for oil pan gasket, cam plugs and vtech seals at cost if needed) and a nice round $2,500 in labor, plus tax. Said high labor cost includes removal of the engine. Any thoughts? Thanks.

One more thing, the parts prices allegedly represent a 25% discount off list, is this true?

If the dealer cannot provide a detailed breakdown, I'd take my business elsewhere. We're talking thousands of dollars and they can't tell you where you're money is going? They are trying to sucker you.

While it does not require engine removal: they might as well do it...lot easier to work on and less chance of making an error on the timing belt.

Sounds like a legitmate quote to me

I would go ahead and get new cam seals and consider a new crank pulley.

Drew

Last edited:
Considering that a timing belt and water pump replacement runs $1200-1400, a 60K service is $800-1100, and a clutch replacement is $2000-2500, and the other items cost additional smaller amounts, I think their quote is reasonable.

However, if I were you, I would take it to Autowave, an independent shop in Huntington Beach. Autowave services more NSXs than most dealerships, and they really know the NSX and are familiar with all the routine maintenance as well as the uncommon problems. They will probably cost no more than the dealer, and maybe less. Plus, they'll tell you exactly what they're going to do, instead of just laying a big fat number on you. They're definitely worth checking out.

nsxtasy said:
However, if I were you, I would take it to Autowave, an independent shop in Huntington Beach. Autowave services more NSXs than most dealerships, and they really know the NSX and are familiar with all the routine maintenance as well as the uncommon problems. They will probably cost no more than the dealer, and maybe less. Plus, they'll tell you exactly what they're going to do, instead of just laying a big fat number on you. They're definitely worth checking out.

This is one great recommendation.

Back