• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

maintenance shops in LA

where does everyone go in so cal to do their service/maintenance (i.e., timing belt, water pump, hose replacements, valve adjustments, etc.)?

can anyone recommend either dealer or independent shops in the L.A. area specifically? im currently trying to shop prices.

Search function is your friend.......

but if you want a dealership then take it to Southbay Acura in Torrance.

Steve is the servicewriter that I use there and Jeff and Tony are the NSX mechanics there and they are really good....but I can't say you're going to get some crazy deal. You can ask to see if they can work with you on the labor pricing.

Otherwise if you're willing to drive further there is Ramon in Laguna Niguel in OC and there is Autowave in hb and you can compare the two in pricing.

Ramon at Nigel A++. got my main fuel relay replace, replaced my rear valance (meaning taking the whole backend of the car off) all for $136 in labor. Great prices, great shop and people. Parts prices were pretty standard but he had a spare gpw valance for only $100 bucks!!!!

Ramon at Niguel. I am SUPER PICKY with where I take my car. Ramon has treated me above and beyond the standard shop. Very honest and does great work!

I too can vouch for Ramon at Niguel Motors. He is an outstanding mechanic, honest, and a very kind person. When he told me "I treat each car like its my own," he surely wasn't kidding. :biggrin:

A++ for Ramon @ Niguel Motors.

I too am picky about my mechanics, too many horror stories about bad mechanics. Ramon is definitely top notch, he has good prices and great workmanship. He really does go above and beyond... I recommend the extra drive, he's THAT good.

ok, it seems like ramon is the go-to guy for maintenance!

can anyone give me the pricing they got from ramon for the following below services? i already got a quote from somewhere but it seemed quite high so i wanted to compare it to at least 1 or 2 other reputable mechanics:

1. Timing belt, water pump, etc.
2. Major service
3. Replacement of all hoses
4. Replacement of oil pan gasket
5. Replacement of both battery cables

as always, thanks a bunch in advance!

PS can someone also give me ramon's contact info?

+1 for Autowave...
No BS & Quality work !

Give us a call on monday and we will be able assist you with everything that you will need.

Autowave Inc
714-841-2433

+1 for Autowave...
No BS & Quality work !

+1 as well. I bring my NSX from Las Vegas and Jim comes from Phoenix.

Regards,

Danny

To me, mechanics are like doctors.
Once you get a good one, you never let them go.
Nigel sounds great.
I live in the San Fernando Valley and have only taken my car to one person in the 14 years that I have had it.
Jason's Honda and Acura in Tujunga CA.
Nobody better, for me.
147,000 miles and still running like new.
I highly recommend him.
Ron

You can't go wrong with Ramon at Niguel Motors. I'll even drive 200 miles so he can work on my NSX ...Great service..Great price..great guy!!!

He did all my major service...timing belt, water pump, brakes, hoses, belts and a bunch of other stuff..

Tomorrow I'll be driving 60 miiles to Ramon so he can install my new shocks and do my brakes.:tongue:

Last edited:
Question for all who come from distance to Niguel Motors, Autowave, etc. If your service takes some time, what do you do? Do you have to get a rental car to go home, get rides, etc?

I'm due for a service and now that Jon Martin is no longer at a dealership, I have to come up with an alternative. Hard for me to get rides since we have two young kids which I don't want to drag along while my wife takes me to drop off and pick up.

Last edited:
Question for all who come from distance to Niguel Motors, Autowave, etc. If your service takes some time, what do you do? Do you have to get a rental car to go home, get rides, etc?

I'm do for a service and now that Jon Martin is no longer at a dealership, I have to come up with an alternative. Hard for me to get rides since we have two young kids which I don't want to drag along while my wife takes me to drop off and pick up.

You can use Southbay Acura and talk to Steve on giving you a loaner car.

QUOTE]

I have used Autowave in the past and based on the recommendations in this forum will proabably check out Ramon in Laguna Niguel soon, which is even farther from me than Autowave (since I live in LA). Typically, I just rent the cheapest car that is available from the nearest car rental place (usually about $30 per day). Too bad Autowave and Ramon don't give out NSX's as loaners! =)

However, I figure that the money that I save from servicing my car at an independent shop versus a dealer is more than enough to offset the cost of a rental car for a few days.

You can use Southbay Acura and talk to Steve on giving you a loaner car.

I'll probably do that. Jon use to give us loaner cars at when he was at Southbay.

However, I figure that the money that I save from servicing my car at an independent shop versus a dealer is more than enough to offset the cost of a rental car for a few days.

Hope that works out for you. One of my concerns was a few years back I took my car to Southbay Acura because the A/C stopped blowing cold (as it has again:mad:). One of parts needed wasn't available in the States at that moment so the whole repair ended up taking about 5 weeks. They gave me a TSX for a loaner but imagine if you had to pay for a rental that long!:eek:

BTW, I put almost 2,000 miles on that loaner car.:biggrin:

yeah, i guess it depends on what type of work you need to get done on your car. im planning on getting service for items that are labor intensive rather than highly parts driven (i.e., timing belt, water pump, hoses, spark plugs, etc.) so there SHOULDNT be a probleme getting parts. but i guess you never know...

i dont mind paying a premium for the "peace of mind" and extra perks like a free loaner at acura dealerships but it just seems like the prices they charge are near obscene. i called a few acura dealerships in the socal area and got quoted literrally DOUBLE what ramon quoted me. i understand that dealerships have higher overhead and labor costs but does it make any sense that a dealership's markup should be that high compared to a reputable independent shop????

Last edited:
yeah, i guess it depends on what type of work you need to get done on your car. im planning on getting service for items that are labor intensive rather than highly parts driven (i.e., timing belt, water pump, hoses, spark plugs, etc.) so there SHOULDNT be a probleme getting parts. but i guess you never know...

i dont mind paying a premium for the "peace of mind" and extra perks like a free loaner at acura dealerships but it just seems like the prices they charge are near obscene. i called a few acura dealerships in the socal area and got quoted literrally DOUBLE what ramon quoted me. i understand that dealerships have higher overhead and labor costs but does it make any sense that a dealership's markup should be that high compared to a reputable independent shop????

I should probably call Ramon as well. I'm just looking to get an oil change and tune up so I can pass my smog test which is due in June. Wonder if I can sit and wait on a Saturday?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat Has anyone with a CTSC ver. 1 had Ramon do the major service? Does he carry CTSC belts in stock, and handles changing the oil in the unit? Is he a "1 Day Service" shop? I'll drive 2 hours to get there; Greenlight is just too far.

MY typical R&R items:

Remove and Replace:
  1. TIMING BELT
  2. WATER PUMP
  3. TENSIONER
  4. CAM SEALS
  5. FRONT CRANK SEAL
  6. A/C BELT
  7. SC BELT
  8. VALVE COVER GASKETS
  9. SPARK PLUG SEALS
  10. VTEC O-RINGS
  11. SPOOL VALVE O-RINGS
  12. CAM PLUGS
  13. THERMOSTAT
  14. RESEAL FRONT PRESSURE BOLT IN FRONT HEAD
  15. ADJUST ALL VALVES
  16. CLEAN AND RE-OIL AIR FILTER
  17. CLEAN THROTTLE BODY
  18. SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT - IRIDIUM
  19. OIL CHANGE
  20. BRAKE FLUSH
  21. COOLANT FLUSH
Thanks in advance!
where does everyone go in so cal to do their service/maintenance (i.e., timing belt, water pump, hose replacements, valve adjustments, etc.)?

can anyone recommend either dealer or independent shops in the L.A. area specifically? im currently trying to shop prices.

Last edited:
Its like Steve ravaglia or something like that.....and the number there is 310-539-3636....what am i 411 here? lol

Back