• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

maybe trading for an NSX

So, I've been thinking about trading for an NSX, and I've read some of the threads that have been pulled out of the vaults recently (for younger folk) about buying the NSX, and I'm getting a little alarmed.

I couldn't afford a new NSX, so I'm thinking of a used one. In addition to the cost of the car (loan), I've considered the insurance, the taxes, a timing belt change ($825 p&l), and oil changes and tires.

Some of the posts emphasized the high cost of maintenance since it is an exotic, so I'm wondering what I may have missed? I am considering an automatic, so no clutch, etc. Brakes pads I suppose.

The other side is the driving experience. Plenty of dire posts about the dangers of an NSX on the road :-). My current car is a 2000 Eclipse GT, which is nice enough, and pulls pretty well even with the automatic, but feels large and heavy to me, and fwd torque steer kicks in sometimes.

My previous car was a 1989 MR-2 Supercharged that I modded to HKS Level 1 (+50 HP to about 185 HP). It was an automatic, but very responsive. It was my first sports car, but I somehow managed to avoid the infamous handling characteristics of the first generation MR-2. I only got sideways once, accelerating after passing a wreck that apparently spilled water and oil on the road (no hazard indications from the copy that waved me by) but I recovered without a problem. Maybe I'm not as risky as some of the others :-)
Is there really any reason to require a driving course when you purchase an NSX for every day use?

PS I'm in southern VA, seen a few in Greensboro, NC. How bad is cold weather with an NSX?

i've had many cars this is my 3rd nsx; i've had a 95' bmw m3, a 97 integra, a 3000gt a 93' rt10 viper, a c5 corvette (auto) and many more, the nsx parts can be pricey at times especially if your financing the car however, the nsx drives smoother, handels better and out-performs any of the cars i've had i don't know who told you you need to go to a driving class to drive the nsx (maybe there jealous) if your serious, or maybe you have had alot of wrecks but in my opinion the nsx is the best thing you can put your money on, as long as you can afford it :-)
stuart
p.s. what an up grade from your previous cars huh?

I don't know about a driving corse and all. It could just depend. I am 19 years old and because of my age everyone thinks that there is not way someone as young as I am could drive. But I have been active in SCCA events since I was 17. I always did well with the cars I was racing but always thought I was just normal. Then a guy let me drive his cart racer and I droped from his time 4 seconds. Then 7 seconds the next lap. This guy supposedly is a very good driver who is involved with alot of events. After that I figured from all the racing I did over the last two years I was pretty good. I still am out every sunday here in Utah at the Cone Races or the SCCA sponcered events.

Basically it comes down to this. YOU KNOW YOU LIMITS. If you think it is going to be to much for you, then take a corse. Trust me. If I wrote something saying I was 19 and looking to get NSX everyone would be BARKING down on me saying not to get it because the car is to much for me, I can't handle one, BLAH BLAH BLAH. To bad for most of the guys that respond like that have probly never been to a driving event in there life and this little 19 year old would school them. But that is not the point. So know your abilities and make the right judgement for yourself. Its nice to be able to come here and ask for people's thoughts, but just know what you are capable of and take it from there.

Lata

dang just read through my post and there are tons of mistakes :-). haha thats what I get for being in a hurry.

------------------
Flexer

RX7 Man

Originally posted by Flexer:
I don't know about a driving corse and all. It could just depend. I am 19 years old and because of my age everyone thinks that there is not way someone as young as I am could drive. But I have been active in SCCA events since I was 17. I always did well with the cars I was racing but always thought I was just normal. Then a guy let me drive his cart racer and I droped from his time 4 seconds. Then 7 seconds the next lap. This guy supposedly is a very good driver who is involved with alot of events.

Dude, 7 seconds on almost any track is an absolute eternity - so you should either be driving F1, the other guys sucked, or there is bs in the story.

Regarding driving school, it is not necessarily a prerequisite for NSX ownership, but could it hurt? I think everyone should take some type of high performance driving or car control school. There's nothing better than another set of eyes in the car that can notice things you are not aware of. In an ideal world, the younger you can get into one of these classes, the better since you haven't had a lot of time to develop bad habits, and the ones you do have can easily be corrected. Further, if its been awhile since you have been in one of these classes, take another.

Regarding high cost of ownership, the NSX is cheap compared to other exotics, real cheap. Does it cost more to maintain than a Camry or Accord? Certainly - but all cars break at some point and in the end the NSX is still a reliable Honda IMO.

First, for an interesting article comparing the NSX and the MR2 go here.
Ok, now that you've read that - I agree with Justin - 7 seconds is an eternity - so there is something wrong there but, hey, we're a trusting bunch so we'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Finally, regarding mid-engine cars and dire posts - mid-engine sports cars have a reputation in some circles for evil handling at the limit - especially in the wet - and in the hands of an inexperienced driver. I've driven mid-engine cars a good part of my life and even some of the low power ones (x1/9) can catch you out if you are not prepared.
MR2 note: I used to be involved with an IMSA Firehawk MR2 effort - fun little car!

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

The reason it was 7 seconds was because the guy would go light on the brakes into a corner instead of going at it aggressivly and slowing down just as fast. He never explored the breaking capability he had. Some advise to those out there. Test your breaks and get a feel for about how close to the corner you can be at full speed before you aply FULL BREAK. Don't drive it like you do on the street were you start stopping for the traffic light way in advance.

The two guys above me posted as if they are quite enlightened so they can skip this advice. All others give it a shot.

------------------
Flexer

RX7 Man

Originally posted by Flexer:
The reason it was 7 seconds was because the guy would go light on the brakes into a corner instead of going at it aggressivly and slowing down just as fast. He never explored the breaking capability he had. Some advise to those out there. Test your breaks and get a feel for about how close to the corner you can be at full speed before you aply FULL BREAK. Don't drive it like you do on the street were you start stopping for the traffic light way in advance.

The two guys above me posted as if they are quite enlightened so they can skip this advice. All others give it a shot.

We're way off topic now but you do raise a good point. Probably the biggest thing that I took home from the Skippy School all those years ago was the realization that, on the street, you use maybe 10% of the braking capability of your car.
Driving school plug: The 3 day Skip Barber school is the best 3 days I have ever spent doing anything. It beats all! Physically and mentally exhausting, highly rewarding, you will learn a lot - even if you think you are good already. All of you guys who are spending the big bucks on mods to get those lap times down would get much more bang for the buck by investing first in a good racing school. Just don't do what one idiot acquaintance of mine did: came home from skippy school and decided to practice 4 wheel drift on a 90 deg turn on a local road. State Trooper coming the other way was not amused...

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

Off topic, but interesting!

Thanks for the info on driving, what about expenses?

Anything to worry about besides tires, oil changes and timing belt?

I think the only other *really* big expense would be the Clutch, and Window regulators (If they break) And the driving school
smile.gif
But be careful at the driving school. They get you addicted to the Go-Fast Crack pipe.
I've been an addict ever since, and spend all my waking hours and all my money trying to get another puff off of the Go-Fast Crack Pipe.

wisonp,

i bought my '92 in july,since then my exspenses have been $2700 sales/p.p. tax,$2500 60k service tim. belt and water pump,$2400 a/c evap,and $1000 for ins.
$8600 total not including small misc. items.

Originally posted by Edo:
I think the only other *really* big expense would be the Clutch, and Window regulators (If they break) And the driving school
smile.gif

Well, I was thinking 94 so hopefully the windows are ok, and since I'm an auto kind of guy, I shouldn't need a clutch any time soon :-)

Originally posted by randall:
wisonp,

i bought my '92 in july,since then my exspenses have been $2700 sales/p.p. tax,$2500 60k service tim. belt and water pump,$2400 a/c evap,and $1000 for ins.
$8600 total not including small misc. items.

Ouch! That's a pretty expensive start.

I guess I need to get the 60K service price, I got timing only at $900 or so. Hopefully a newer car won't need a/c parts so soon and I covered insurance and sales tax. Not P.P. tax yet, though VA has a rebate on car tax right now. So their raising real estate rates - its less tax to trade your house in on a car!

The A/C repair is the only one of those expenses that might not have been known at the time of purchase.

If you're going to replace the timing belt, you really should replace the water pump at the same time. It should run around $1200 or so for both. The 60K service should run $800 to $1000. $2500 for TB/WP/60K is slightly high.

Make sure you have your service done by a dealer who regularly works on NSX's. I've heard good things about Leith Acura in Cary NC and bad things about the dealer in Roanoke VA. I haven't heard anything about Crown Acura in Greensboro NC, which is slightly closer and is a Precision Team dealer.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 05 November 2001).]

I have been very happy with Crown so far. They really go out of their way to make you feel special. They had two NSX techs, but the one who normally worked on my car just left. The other guy I have spoken too, but do not know well (yet). John Pye is a client of mine and a service writer there, he will take very good care of you. I do not have any experience with Flow Acura in W-S, but have heard good things from friends. Hope it helps.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Originally posted by ncdogdoc:
I have been very happy with Crown so far. They really go out of their way to make you feel special. They had two NSX techs, but the one who normally worked on my car just left. The other guy I have spoken too, but do not know well (yet). John Pye is a client of mine and a service writer there, he will take very good care of you. I do not have any experience with Flow Acura in W-S, but have heard good things from friends. Hope it helps.

Thanks very much! Crown is who I called to get the timing belt quote - I talked to Mike Rakes.

Do you know if anyone has an auto NSX in Greensboro I could see / drive?

Just noticed a few unanswered questions...

Originally posted by wilsonp:
Some of the posts emphasized the high cost of maintenance since it is an exotic, so I'm wondering what I may have missed? I am considering an automatic, so no clutch, etc. Brakes pads I suppose.

The costs for scheduled maintenance are shown in the FAQ and aren't much higher than for other cars. However, while the NSX is extremely reliable, any unexpected repairs that arise can be pricey. I realize you're looking at an automatic, so clutch replacements ($2K) don't apply. A/C repairs can be expensive. Brake pads, around $150/set, are more expensive than for lesser cars, but they're still not a high-dollar item. Some people are surprised to find that high-performance tires may only last 5-10K miles, but that's part of the territory with a high-performance car.

Is there really any reason to require a driving course when you purchase an NSX for every day use?

No, it's not required... but it could be a lot of fun.

PS I'm in southern VA, seen a few in Greensboro, NC. How bad is cold weather with an NSX?

Not good. The tires don't stick anywhere near as well when the weather is cold (say, 40 degrees F or colder), so you will need to be VERY careful in those conditions. And leave it at home when you get your occasional snow.

Back