• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Maybe you guys know the answer. Need to smog again.

Alright, DMV is closed today so I figured maybe someone here knows the answer.

So I bought my car Feb 28, 2007. Before I bought it, I made sure that the car will be smogged. The previous owner smogged it and passed on February 7th, 2008. I registered the car to DMV the next day, paid all the fees, got a new license plate (previous owner had custom plates) and registration sticker.

September 2007 came and I recieved a registration notice. I'm a little surprised, I mean I just paid registration 7 months ago. But whatever, paid it anyways.

Fast forward, I got pulled-over recently because of expired tags (fix it ticket). I honestly didn't know, I mean I got 5 cars, kind of hard to keep track. And besides I didn't get a registration notice. Alright fine, I'll just pay it ASAP. I finally saw the registration notice last night and I am very surprised to see that I need to smog the car. My car is in the body shop therefore I can't smog it, but now I'm in a time-constraint because I need to sign-off the fix-it-ticket in 3 weeks.

I really don't want to smog the car because it was smogged Feb of last year. Smog checks are every 2 years right?

Any explanations on why DMV is doing this?

Thank you.

nim

I assumed you're in California since you mentioned DMV.

When you registered the car, did they give you a new license number fresh or they simply transfered the ownership under have way used tag with a new license plate?

As for smog, did you present the smog certificate from the old owner to the DMV? If not, it is required to present a smog certificate when purchasing a used car older than 6 years at the time of registration.

If I'm understanding this correctly, you purchased the car in Feb. of 2007, and your current renewal is requiring the smog check.

Sounds about right. Assuming Feb. as your Tag date, Feb. '07 to Feb. '09 = 2 years.

If your car is in the shop and you are unable to smog it before your registration expires, you can pay the registration amount first; this will save you from penalties. When you get the car out, you can get an operating permit from the DMV (or AAA if you have it) so that you can drive the car and have it tested to compete the registration and receive your sticker. There is no penalty for a late smog test other than the fact that you have an incomplete registration renewal.

Again, all this assuming that you're in CA. Can't speak to other states' laws.

Last edited:
The smog on Feb, 2007 was only to transfer ownership. It was not due for a registration renewal as there was some time left before it was due again so DMV hits you up for just a transfer fee. In Sept 07 the renewal comes and no smog is required. The next renewal comes in Sept 2008 and a smog is required because it is done every other year to the date of the registration, not the transfer.

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info.. Big_D got it right.. DMV explained it to me.... Meh.. now I need to smog the car.. I hate smogging.. Oh well wish me luck guys.

Thanks again

niM

Just get the cats nice and hot before you test and it'll pass with flying colors. Best of Luck

errr I hope not.. Its nice to have a hook-up for crazy engine setups but for almost stock. why bother to pay the price.

niM

regardless the car just got smoged by the previous owner b4 sales.
Everytime there is a transfer title another smog test is required by DMV.

i know this as i have purchased used cars b4

Last edited:
Back