• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

national news picked up the story and played up the made in america...perfect PR ,in fact this whole design concept hobled together quickly is PR driven.......We shall see.

382749_10150459580681091_25570701090_9164977_478831678_n.jpg

LOL I can't believe you got a pic of me Mitch:biggrin:

I'm the second guy in on the left.

Last edited:
I just saw an interview with a woman exec who said the next NSX is going to be made in the USA because it is geared mainly towards our market. It sounds like the car is not going to be made in limited numbers and the cup holders will be more functional.

I just saw an interview with a woman exec who said the next NSX is going to be made in the USA because it is geared mainly towards our market. It sounds like the car is not going to be made in limited numbers and the cup holders will be more functional.

so due to non limited numbers it will probably fit the sports car segment like a gtr, and not an exotic like our nsx...hmm ill def hang on to mine.

That is the million dollar question. When the battery is done, now I am lugging around 400lbs of dead weight on the track. While you will most likely never see this problem in the street, it makes for a crappy track car. But maybe the technology in 3 years will keep the batteries going non-stop with regenetive braking.

But again, since these motors uses electricity that are stored in batteries, how long do they last before they run out of juice and how long does it take to charge them up before they can be used again?

The press releases for the new drivetrain tech that was announced at the Tokyo Motor Show said:
A high-efficiency, high output electric SH-AWD hybrid system which combines superior driving and environmental performance.
・A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
・An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.

So assuming that the NSX drivetrain will be a variation on this, it's pretty likely there will be an additional motor built into the DCT (the 30Kw one). The next question will be "how much battery do we need for this?" The Lithium Ion battery in the Honda Civic provides juice for a single 20Kw motor and weighs in at 48 lbs. Assuming similar charge/discharge characteristics, I'd guess the battery pack would weigh no less than 200 lbs. However, I read a nugget (somewhere) that talked about the new eSH-AWD that included a blurb about the way the inside wheel motor directly powers the assist on the outside wheel motor when cornering. Could this bring a jump in efficiency that could lower the amount of battery storage needed?

Regarding the question "what happens when the batteries run out?" Simply, they recharge. Honestly, although the discharge to charge ratio is far from 1:1, it's getting closer and maybe some super capacitors could be employed for faster charge/discharge? The way current Honda hybrids work, it's pretty seamless, you let off the throttle and it starts scavenging energy, when you brake, it scavenges even more energy. In normal usage, the only time you fully discharge a battery is on long uphill grades with no chance to 'refill' the pack. As someone noted, it's possible to run it down in a track situation, but even there it could depend on track configuration.

If she was blond that would be Vicki Poponi. Well price will determine numbers

so due to non limited numbers it will probably fit the sports car segment like a gtr, and not an exotic like our nsx...hmm ill def hang on to mine.

Uh Honda never restricted the numbers on our car it just didn't sell in great numbers:biggrin:

If she was blond that would be Vicki Poponi. Well price will determine numbers

Uh Honda never restricted the numbers on our car it just didn't sell in great numbers:biggrin:

i guess time will tell then if this new version sells in greater amounts therefore making it as common as a gtr

My first thought after seeing the interior picture was... Really? How could Honda put so little effort into this concept. No interior, no drive train. It does not have to be the final hybrid drive train but how about something that moves on its own power. This is essentially a 1:1 scale model of a car. With that said, it is exciting, but also disappointing that so little resources were put towards this project.

The million dollar question IMHO is what is the price point? If it is priced similar to the GTR it will be a huge win. However, if it is more like the LFA it will be pointless. I had high hopes for the LFA until they announced the price. The $350k price tag makes that car irrelevant as only a handful will ever make it to the street. Will the new NSX sell for between 90k – 125k?

I hate these scale models but Honda putting thoughts on the new NSX is a plus. Yeah, that will suck if they decide to make a car to compete against the LFA. How many LFA were sold in the US?

EDIT: FINE

I see one can't give his own opinion without being labelled a troll so whatever ...

Last edited:
I don't see what this has to do with my opinion on the new NSX's design but, if you must know, I drive a 2001 Accord.

Before that I had another Accord (91) and my next car will most likely be a TL (up to 2008) and/or an NSX depending on when I'm done with my studies. I'm a huge Honda fan so please don't make me look like a troll or a hater just because I don't like the new NSX.

As if getting trolled is not bad enough, you post a ridiculously large picture of your kitchen appliance. Way to buzz kill a thread about the rebirth of an icon. We all know what an old accord looks like, no need to post a monster picture.

However, I read a nugget (somewhere) that talked about the new eSH-AWD that included a blurb about the way the inside wheel motor directly powers the assist on the outside wheel motor when cornering. Could this bring a jump in efficiency that could lower the amount of battery storage needed?
Excellent point! I think elsewhere they talk about 'negative torque' on the inside wheel .. which essentially translates to 'power scavenging' that could be used to power the outside wheel. So, if you ignore the small efficiency loss while one wheel acts like a generator to power the other wheel .. and race track certainly have lots of corners .. then perhaps the batteries won't drain as fast as people think .. or at least the 30kw 'IMA-like' generator will be more easily keep them charged up. Arguably, a twisty race track might drain the batteries slower than one with a lot of straights.

Excellent point! I think elsewhere they talk about 'negative torque' on the inside wheel .. which essentially translates to 'power scavenging' that could be used to power the outside wheel. So, if you ignore the small efficiency loss while one wheel acts like a generator to power the other wheel .. and race track certainly have lots of corners .. then perhaps the batteries won't drain as fast as people think .. or at least the 30kw 'IMA-like' generator will be more easily keep them charged up. Arguably, a twisty race track might drain the batteries slower than one with a lot of straights.

Watch the GT5 video link posted in this thread, it depicts what you read / are describing.

Mitch ... great work ..tks for being there for us. You obviously are either extremely persistant or have some pull with the Acura/Honda folks. When you talk to them off the record, do they ever talk about focusing on using lighter materials? One of the oft-overlooked manufacturing breakthroughs with our NSX was their innovative research and leadership in cost effectively being able to make aluminum bodies. In the recent MP4-12c (or whatever it's called) video, McLaren also talked about making similar major breakthroughs in making carbon fiber bodies cost effective. If the Honda/Acura R&D folks are chasing similar objectives, then they might be able to keep decent power to weight ratios in spite of the add'l hybrid pounds.

Looking at the pics of the ILX I see it and the nsx concept share a "surf line" ( to steal a GTR phrase) on their rear haunches. Interesting.

Thanks for the pics Mitch, I was o Wingz's FAIL thread, didn't see this one.

Wingz what are you doing man? where is your camera?!

ILX is ugly. RDX is ugly. Both are generic. NSX looks good. I have read every thread so far, no one has commented on the headlights? Anyone think THAT will make production?

Last edited:
I first fell in love with the NSX some 20+ years back. I was 16, barely had my DL and when I first saw it on the cover of R&T, or C&D (or whatever it was), my jaw dropped. It was literally love at first sight. I didn't buy car magazines back then, but I did this one (I wish I had kept that issue).

The car hadn't even been released yet; stunning, fast, lightweight, and tuned by some guy named Senna. Why exactly this particular car spoke to me, I don't really know. Sure, my parents drove a Civic, but they also had a F-150. At the time, Honda (and other Japanese cars) had a reputation for quality, but they were still "cheap" cars. Somehow, for some reason, the NSX became my dream car.

The "Rice" revolution of the early 90's only cemented that opinion as Japanese cars came into their own. The NSX was every Ricers ultimate dream car. Sure, the Supra was cool, as was the RX-7 and the Z. And of course the GT-R had its own allure given that you couldn't actually get one here in the States; but it was and is still, ugly. The NSX transcended them all, and then some. Ferrari, Porsche, even McLaren took notice:

"The moment I drove the NSX, all the benchmark cars—Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini—I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target." -- Gordan Murray, Lead McLaren F1 Designer, Technical Director for the McLaren F1 Team, and former NSX owner of 7 years.

One day, in late 2001, I finally drove one home. It was worth the wait. I love the NSX to this day. I drove it almost every day for the next 10 years, nearly 100,000 miles with barely a hiccup. In 2003, I made my pilgrimage to Tochigi to see its birth place. I even drove it on the track, where I witnessed it in its true glory. Yes, I am a certified crazed NSX fanboy.

And now at last, Acura (not Honda) has given us a successor. I'm lost for words.

Of course I'm excited. It's the first reasonable successor to the NSX. But like the HSC (which I've seen in person) and that thing in 2008 with the engine in the wrong place, I'm not sure it is worthy. I'm no hater. I hope the words above are enough to convince one of that, but this thing, isn't quite in the same league as the NSX.

In 20 years, will it still turn heads? In 20 years, will it be considered, ahead of its time? Will future Supercar designers turn to this car as a benchmark for anything? Sadly, I think no. I won't write it off just yet, but I'm afraid I'll have to take a wait-and-see approach on this long over due "Supercar" from a once great and passionate car company.

Soichiro Honda once said; "The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred". Consider my soul not stirred by the new NSX.

I have read every thread so far, no one has commented on the headlights? Anyone think THAT will make production?

I read somewhere today(and I can't remember where probably on a forum) that Acura/Honda doesn't think that the headlight design or the glass roof will make it into production.

Back