• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

metall noise after bilstein install

Hrant said:
Let me clarify. Do you have stock sway bars or aftermarket sway bar?

If it is aftermarket, are you checking it with the suspension loaded or when it is on a lift or jacks?

If your springs are shot/tired, with Bilstein lower perch you may indeed have your sway bar touch rub the battery tray braces on load on early models. But if this is the case, you will see some marks on the sway bar.

HTH

It is stock sway bar and checked when it was on a stock jack. however, the location of the battery tray is behind the spare tire and the sway bar is in front of the spare tire. I can't see how they would rub.

Anyhow, no marks on the sway bar or anything else. Still don't know where the clunking noise come from. I also checked the wheel and no impact marks. :confused:

The battery tray runs from under the radiator back past the battery. The car must be on the ground and settled to check this interference. The front sway bar stock or otherwise gets pretty close when the car is lowered:).

HTH,
LarryB

austrian type-R said:
The only reason I can think of it is the gas in the damper...when it has a certain temperatur the noise is there.....always when the car is parked in the sun or at an hot day, or I drive 20km or something the noise get away....so I guess the gas in the dampers have to reach a certain temperatur.......

Is it as it warms or as it cools that you hear this noise?

Last edited:
Larry Bastanza said:
The battery tray runs from under the radiator back past the battery. The car must be on the ground and settled to check this interference. The front sway bar stock or otherwise gets pretty close when the car is lowered:).

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry. Just checked and looks like I have about one inch of clearance between the bar and the tray.

I also check every single part with the wheel off and did not see any scratch/impact marks.

So I really don't know where that metal bang come when I hit a bump or dip. I suspect that it come from the strut bottoming out. Would it make a loud bang if I don't have the rubber stopper on the strut? I saw all the pieces from the manual in the FAQ.

However, I can't really tell since the strut is all covered up by the rubber boot. :confused:

It will be hard but you should be able to push up the boot thorugh the springs with some form of screwdriver. The rubber snubber definitely has to be left in and it does keep the shock from bottoming and also acts like a small spring during hard cornering or in bumps. Is this noise a dull or sharp bang?

ATERPAK said:
It will be hard but you should be able to push up the boot thorugh the springs with some form of screwdriver. The rubber snubber definitely has to be left in and it does keep the shock from bottoming and also acts like a small spring during hard cornering or in bumps. Is this noise a dull or sharp bang?

I thought about pushing it up, but am worry that I might tear it and create a new problems.

the noise is a sharp metal bang. I thought I hit the wheel at first. it occurs whenever i hit a good size bump or pothole above 40 mph. I guess that is when the suspension compresses. I don't hear anything normal. I tried push down that corner, but it bearly moves down. Maybe the spring and the strut are still good.

Hello you guys

For 6weeks i own a nsx-t 1998 complete original car with only 35000 km
I have the same metal sound in the right rear aerea.

Tonight i checked out every single bolt off the suspensio, etc etc and the only thing i can find is some space on the bolt of the brake clow.

When i slam with my hands on the brak clow the sound is simmular with the sound i hear from out of the car when i am driving.

I am thinking about ordering a new bolt en bolt unit to see iff its over after that.

WHen i solved the problem i will post again.

greatings from holland

ronny

What's a brake clow? If you mean brake caliper and after you hit that it makes the noise, I would suspect that you have brake pads that are loose in the caliper which when driving and you hit any bump, will make a metalic sound. There should be an anti-rattle spring inside this caliper to hold the pads in place and keep the pads from rattling or banging against the caliper when it hits a bump or pot hole. There should be no spaces between any bolts and the parts they are designed to connect to in this area.

Did anyone ever come to any conclusions on this mystery? It happens to me with Koni Adjustable and Eibach springs (lowered about 1.25 inches). It also seems temperature related (i.e. cold out) and it really is a discomforting sound. But the fact that I can't create an exact repro of the problem prevents me from diagnosing it further. Any help would be appreciated.

First thing, Ronny don't order a bolt to replace it unless it's broken. bent or damaged. This will probably be highly unlikely. Just makes sure all the bolts are tightened to their proper torque specs. If they are, then they will not cause this noise you are hearing. Only a lose bolt will cause something like that and it won't be long before it breaks. Honda bolts are of fairly high quality and if they are torqued to their proper specs. they should last the life of the car.

Secondly, Adrian don't use WD40 for anything on the car. It's really a solvent and not a lubricant of any type. They've done some clever marketing into making you think it's a lubricant but it really isn't. Lubricants don't dry out like this stuff does. There should be nothing in your shocks, on your shocks, or even the springs which would need this stuff. Lubricants in this area only attract dirt which would make the noise problem worse. However there are spring noise dampners on some springs which are little coiled rubber pieces. These clamp on the spring coil where the spring coils are close to each other. Sometimes during normal operations the coils will hit each other during compression and this is what you're probably hearing.

Question; There are 4 shocks on the car but only 1 metal sound? not multiple sounds occurring at or about the same time as the car transitions the bump/pothole?
If that is the case it would seem there is only one point of contact causing the problem, one shock or a clearance problem caused by lowering. I have Bilstein's on one car with no problems and Koni's on the other car with no problem; neither car has been lowered.

Bob

+Hello

SOrry for my late reaction, but the noice i had in my car is gone.

The problem was very simple, but it took some time before i found it.

The noice came from the sparetire and the aluminium peace where it is mounted against. The 3 grommets on this alluminum peace where not on the
car. So when i drove on a very bad road the spare tire constantly shaked against this alumunium peace.

Greatings and thanks for all your help.

ronny

FWIW, I've got the Koni/Zanardi/Comptech-sways/Comptech-Braces setup on my '98. It's got a clicking noise in the front right corner. The spare tire and its holder is not even in the car.

The clicking isn't terribly loud with the windows up, but it is clearily present. It doesn't happen with every bump either. It almost sounds like what a loose bolt/nut assembly would be, except I've gone over everything. Happens hot or cold, big bumps or small. Sometimes, big bumps would not cause the noise, and sometimes, a small expansion joint in the road could cause it to click.

I almost think that it's the damper assembly... perhaps the valves are clicking within the damper, or that the spring is clicking against the upper spring mount or something... it's a small sound, but small stuff like that drives me mad.

Even if the valves were clicking in the dampner, you shouldn't be hearing that. Not only is it in a closed unit, it's also immersed in hydraulic fluid which would dampen/cushion any noise they may make. I've never heard a dampner making that type of noise ever. The mounting points being loose are a different matter. Sometimes you may have to put some form of noise dampning on the springs themselves. The stock springs I've seen have had a small rubber collar on the lower part of the springs just to keep the noise from occuring when the spring gets compressed and the coils touch quickly. If you still have the stock springs, then try placing these rubber collars back on the spring in the lower area to see if that helps. Good luck.

This is a problem that seems to be common to the Bilstein/Lower Perch/Stock Springs concept and to be honest there does not seem to be an answer. I have a phone call into CGI for some answers. One suggestion was to a make sure the bottom of the springs have the rubber casing/boot over them. I do have them. It is temperature related (cold=noise, warm=no noise). One more thing, the car looks awesome. It sits at a perfect height, not to high, not to low, if this sound problem is solved, I highly suggest it.

Last edited:
These rubber coil covers usually come from the original stock springs. I'm not sure but they may be available from the dealership as a separate part. you could also use some thin walled rubber hose cut to a short length as well. Good luck.

They are not even listed in the parts catalog, only the springs:)

HTH,
LarryB

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have been having a similar problem and wanted to know if anyone had found a solution. I recently installed Bilsteins at the stock height with stock springs. When the car is cold, I get a strange crunching noise that originates from the rear passenger-side when going over even small bumps. The noise seems to dissipate as the car/suspension warms. A very reputable mechanic has checked all the bolts around the area of the noise and found nothing. The stock rubber was reused in the installation of the Bilsteins. The mechanic thinks the noise is coming from the sway bar, but I never had the noise before the Bilsteins were installed.

Just wanted to know if anyone was successful in stopping the noise.:smile:

Chad

Mine just started up with the sound again after a summer of silence. Given the predictable nature of occurance ,absolutely related to temperature, in my case I must assume that it is a piece of poly or some other material which changes properties when the temp decreases. If it were the stabilizer(I have comptech) or another fixed component there would be no temperature variance. Last year when winter hit I had the same issue. I used some food grade silicone spray and doused the top of the struts under the plastic pop out discs under the front hood. This eliminated the noise by was only effective for a couple days. Is there a poly spacer at the top that is rubbing against the car when the suspension is engaged? I am tempted to use a more permanent lubricant than the spray silicaone. Would wd40 hurt a poly spacer or hardened rubber? I feel the culprit is at the top of the strut, under the fenderwell, where it is bolted to the body. I will try the silicone again the confirm it will infact get rid of the noise temporarily.

WOODY said:
Mine just started up with the sound again after a summer of silence. Given the predictable nature of occurance ,absolutely related to temperature, in my case I must assume that it is a piece of poly or some other material which changes properties when the temp decreases. If it were the stabilizer(I have comptech) or another fixed component there would be no temperature variance. Last year when winter hit I had the same issue. I used some food grade silicone spray and doused the top of the struts under the plastic pop out discs under the front hood. This eliminated the noise by was only effective for a couple days. Is there a poly spacer at the top that is rubbing against the car when the suspension is engaged? I am tempted to use a more permanent lubricant than the spray silicaone. Would wd40 hurt a poly spacer or hardened rubber? I feel the culprit is at the top of the strut, under the fenderwell, where it is bolted to the body. I will try the silicone again the confirm it will infact get rid of the noise temporarily.

Woody,

How have you been and how is your car running? Your presents was missed at the picnic.
DON"T use WD 40 it has been my experience it has caused problems in a similar application. There are other products that are better for that application; I will research and send you the info via email.

Thanks Bob, the lube will need to be something that can seep into the contact surface as it would be a pain to remove the strut. The car is running great...loves this cold air but the cold road means less traction so they are breaking loose at 60:cool:

WOODY said:
Thanks Bob, the lube will need to be something that can seep into the contact surface as it would be a pain to remove the strut. The car is running great...loves this cold air but the cold road means less traction so they are breaking loose at 60:cool:

I found a way to prevent that rear wheel spin from occurring, have your clutch start slipping. I will be replacing mine this winter. How is you RPS holding up to "ALL THOSE PONIES"?

cstove said:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have been having a similar problem and wanted to know if anyone had found a solution. I recently installed Bilsteins at the stock height with stock springs. When the car is cold, I get a strange crunching noise that originates from the rear passenger-side when going over even small bumps. The noise seems to dissipate as the car/suspension warms. A very reputable mechanic has checked all the bolts around the area of the noise and found nothing. The stock rubber was reused in the installation of the Bilsteins. The mechanic thinks the noise is coming from the sway bar, but I never had the noise before the Bilsteins were installed.

Just wanted to know if anyone was successful in stopping the noise.:smile:

Chad

Yes, I installed HKS Coilovers... no more noise!:smile:

Back