• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

I got about 10 miles late in the afternoon... driving NSX in January? BONUS!

See you Wednesday (if plans go as expected)....

I got 28 miles in Imola yesterday. It was nice to have a January thaw. It was either place it on batt tender or drive it - easy decision.

NSXPO 2013 announced mid-October Raleigh, NC, and at VIR. See unofficial NSXCA forum.

Caravan down? At some point in the spring we should look at a MI check in thread.

Another NSX is being stored 20 feet from mine. Early 91-93 red with the early chromies..... storage guy said it belongs to a man named Dave King (I think that was his name). Anyone know him? Ill try to get him involved this spring but rumor is he will be looking to sell his NSX due to some back problems.

An of-topic question to my Michigan friends: BD posted the following in a thread about the new NSX at the Detroit Auto Show:

..... As for the target weight 3000lb weight, I actually believe it is achievable, or at least close to it. I recently pickup a used CRZ as my daily driver, and after doing some research on that car, I came to understand the IMA system a little more.

In many ways, the original NSX had some missed opportunities. The weight of the seat rails, headers, exhaust, mufflers, stereo, A/C were too much. Today, they have the technology to make things smaller and lighter. All that can offset the weight of the IMA package. ....

So, really my question to the group is about weight on your cars. I know the OEM exhaust systems are heavy (was planning to install the OEM header with aftermarket mufflers at some point), but seat rails? Stereo? Have you considered these sub-systems as points of adding mass to your vehicle? And curious what measures you have taken to lower weight, either on these systems or other areas.

2013 NAIAS NSX RR.jpg2013 NAIAS NSX RF.jpg2013 NAIAS NSX RR.jpg2013 NAIAS NSX RF.jpg
So, really my question to the group is about weight on your cars. I know the OEM exhaust systems are heavy (was planning to install the OEM header with aftermarket mufflers at some point), but seat rails? Stereo? Have you considered these sub-systems as points of adding mass to your vehicle? And curious what measures you have taken to lower weight, either on these systems or other areas.

The exhaust IS indeed super heavy on the early (pre-'98) cars due to the cast iron manifolds, and the muffler is a tank as well.
You could save 35 to 50 lbs just replacing the exhaust system with lighter components, not to mention around a 15hp gain!
We did this to our Red car, and have removed the spare tire, so combined with a lightweight Odyssey battery the front lost a bunch of weight as well.

Now the Purple car, the list is long regarding weight savings.......and it's @ around 2600lbs without fuel right now.

Brian
(Teej, I don't know a Dave King....except a guy that uses that stage name for his Elvis impersonation show ;^)

UPDATE, here are a couple views of the NSX on display at the 2013 NAIAS from a buddy.
We'll get there this afternoon to snap a few more ;^D

Last edited:

As much as I like the new NSX, I am convinced in the modern world of sports car saturation, its impossible for anyone to create a vehicle as awe inspiring and unique as the original NSX. The only jaw dropping vehicle I have seen in the last couple of years is the Aventator and people either love or hate it, and you still know looking at it that it's very much a Lambo. The only vehicle I have seen that looked and felt unique when looking at it was the Toyota/Lexus LFA. Doesnt mean I want one.

Anyway... so not only is my '97 potentially up to 50 lbs lighter but it could be 15HP greater with that lightweight exhaust? I already planned to tell the kids in my area that I'm pushing 600hp. People always ask at traffic lights... you guys know what im talking about.

"Nice car"

Thanks

"Whats it got?"

Huh?

"Whats it got for horsepower?"

Oh... uhh..two nine----- uhh 305...to the wheels...

As much as I like the new NSX, I am convinced in the modern world of sports car saturation, its impossible for anyone to create a vehicle as awe inspiring and unique as the original NSX. The only jaw dropping vehicle I have seen in the last couple of years is the Aventator and people either love or hate it, and you still know looking at it that it's very much a Lambo. The only vehicle I have seen that looked and felt unique when looking at it was the Toyota/Lexus LFA. Doesnt mean I want one.

Anyway... so not only is my '97 potentially up to 50 lbs lighter but it could be 15HP greater with that lightweight exhaust? I already planned to tell the kids in my area that I'm pushing 600hp. People always ask at traffic lights... you guys know what im talking about.

"Nice car"

Thanks

"Whats it got?"

Huh?

"Whats it got for horsepower?"

Oh... uhh..two nine----- uhh 305...to the wheels...

Just send your car up to Traverse City and you won't have to lie anymore. :wink:
The trip also includes a wallet weight reduction too as a bonus!

I really like the updates they've done to the NSX "concept". Much better front end and I'm liking the interior a lot. Can't wait til 2030 when I can afford a 2015!

yeah, make no mistake, i think the new NSX looks great. But its just not a dream catcher like the first... mayyyyybe if i was 15 again I would feel differently.

As far as TC goes.... yeah, I am thinking in a year or two I will go 'next level'.

Hey was good to see you guys tonight. We solved all the NA1 weight reduction issues. And being equidistant from SourceOne in Cincinnati and Cody in Traverse City, we rinsed that out, too.

I got 28 miles in Imola yesterday. It was nice to have a January thaw. It was either place it on batt tender or drive it - easy decision.

NSXPO 2013 announced mid-October Raleigh, NC, and at VIR. See unofficial NSXCA forum.

I'm pretty sure you passed me on 14 (I think) when I was headed from Ann Arbor to Downtown Detroit. You got on the expressway, passed some cars, then got off at the next exit.

I'm pretty sure you passed me on 14 (I think) when I was headed from Ann Arbor to Downtown Detroit. You got on the expressway, passed some cars, then got off at the next exit.

"Busted"

That would have been me....... made five passes. Were you in a black Acura (Integra????)?

Great pics! I still hate the wheels though....

In terms of weight, yep, my spare is out as of long ago, and removal of the heavy exhaust is in the plan. But what surprised me about the post is the statement of excess weight in places like the radio and the seat rails. Is the Bose system excessively heavy? Really? And darn, do your seat rails slow you down? (in case you didn't pick it up, I'm in full sarcasm mode).

Excellent pictures, Brian!! You really got every detail of the car. The interior looks fantastic.

The Acura NSX concept is just stunning. It looks WAAAAY better than it did when it debuted last year. I did a review on this car, showcasing the huge improvement this car has made in the past year.

Chris

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ipeRiRLFH3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good deal Ryan, we got the engine / transaxle out of the LoveFab car yesterday so we'll see if the future holds a visit from that same rig or not!

Brian

Michigan check-in &amp; spotting by blodi pt.2

Excellent pictures, Brian!! You really got every detail of the car. The interior looks fantastic.

The Acura NSX concept is just stunning. It looks WAAAAY better than it did when it debuted last year. I did a review on this car, showcasing the huge improvement this car has made in the past year.

Chris

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ipeRiRLFH3Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Upon further review im going to have to agree 100% however it still doesn't grab me like the original.... Just not unique enough yet. Thinking lower roofline and maybe bigger wheel wells

^^^ Nice work! I have some serious garage envy going on. How long did the removal take?

Looks like mine made it to TC, has been unloaded and is thawing.....sounds like the surgery begins today.....
View attachment 96874
Cool, glad to see it made it up to the Mother Ship all right!
The engine-out took about 5 hours I recon, we took our time to not screw anything up ;^D
Vince's engine cart was an absolute necessity!

Brian

Well-trained Wifey you have there!

That's me. :eek:

My wife picked your car up in her side mirror and said "there's an nsx back there". I went into full alert, and was so proud she could name the car looking in a dirty side mirror. ;)

I remember noting your black Integra....came around you rather slowly due to the dufus putzing along hogging the left lane (the usual on M-14). As I recall I had to pass said dork on the right as he was NOT moving over. Then I was able to get with it for ~ 3 miles.

Brian and Ryan - good luck to both of you on your "winter projects." :smile: Thanks for the pictures.

What's up with all of the engine work. I will also have mine pulled and checked, hopefully only head gaskets. Liz and I will driving to XPO again this year so we are up for a caravan.

In regards to a spring get together, the addition should be done or nearly done, would be happy to host.

Back