• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Midnight purple w/ 95k, worth it? JH4NA1188ST000762

Did some searching on the forums and found this car changed hands from member to member about 4 times or so. Seemed like it was in really great
shape back then but the last owner sold it in 08. Popped up on autotrader and wanted to get either possibly more info on the car if the last actual owner
is a member on here by chance or anyone knows him/her, and find out what your opinions are based on the on the price of the car based off the higher
milage but extremely exclusive color.

http://vinsoup1.com/povlil/view_li.php?ccode=18459A&noreturnbuttons=1

Last edited:
Seems like the price is reasonable for the year/color combo if it has a good maint. history and no stories, but as with all NSX's you must do your due dilligence. If I were a betting man, I'd say it's got some deferred maint. and a story or two. All things aside, the MP is a very cool color on the NSX and if I were still in the market I would seriously look into this one!:smile:

If it were a few months from now and I was moved and ready to buy I'd puck that one up tomorrow if everything was in good shape. For that price I would buy it, clean it up and count on having to do the tb/wp (and repaint calipers ;) ). That is cheap for a mp car.

Its a 95, so its a 5 speed. Seems pretty cheap to me assuming the car is in solid shape. TB/WP is a given, but at that price, I think that should be expected.

Weird that the console has a 6spd plaque...

Thanks guys. Yeah I have been reading the nsx wiki about pre purchase inspections. I am fairly knowledgable with mechanics in the automotive sense so I'd check it out myself and look everything over and do a compression check should the dealership allow me >.<. Really interested in it since I'm absolutely in love with Midnight Purple. Waiting for a call back from the dealer to see what information they can get from the previous owner that traded it in. Timing belt and water pump I wouldn't mind doing but I don't think I'd be able to spring for that and the clutch all at the same time. I know the cost of ownership on the NSX isn't cheap, but I'm planning to do all the maint. myself with the exception of those 2. I want nothing to do with dropping the motor or anything that has to do with timing. Plus I don't have a lift so it'd just be a pain :tongue:

Would be nice if it had a 6-Speed swap and the dealer didn't know about it. New owner would be pleasantly surprised. :smile:

My biggest concern is that its gone through various hands at the dealership who've beaten the hell out of it. I know back almost 2 years ago I was looking at a TL at a local Acura dealer and someone traded in a 3x,xxx milage 91 black on black NSX and the sales guys beat the piss out of it, took it out to lunch, think even the GM drove it around for a while. Thats my biggest concern with buying from a dealer :frown:

That car/color combo is a steal!!

Where in the world can you find targa's in the 20's...
especially that color combo.

Ask me how I know, my car was originally MBP on tan leather... and when I bought it there were numerous people fighting over it. Mind you this was 7+ years ago.

I don't think you need to drop the motor to do belt.....unless I am wrong. But Ramon at Niguel Motors didn't :)

If you have access to Ramon, or Larry, then thats probably true. As it is, there are only a handful of people who can do TB *at all*, much less do it without dropping the motor. IMO thats a big thing with the NSX that gets glossed over too much, people ignore the reality of it, then they buy these cars and "fulfill the dream" and then just *never* do the big maintenance and just sell the car on. Similar to Ferrari. As a result the cars get worse and worse over time.

My advice to *any* prospective buyer is *find your mechanic first*. Even if you think you are KING of DIY, you *will* need help with the NSX. Knowing IF there is anyone local who you can trust to go near the car is *vital*. This isnt like a Porsche, or even a Ferrari, where there is a huge talent pool as long as you have $.

And @Nismo4life... I dont see how that is any different than *any* used car. You have to assume that a car is driven and that a sports car is driven hard. Its sort of hypocritical that people want a pristine used virgin that THEY will then take and drive the hell out of and, of course expect to sell down the line and get top dollar for ;)

I dont think the dealer having it for a while equates to it being a joyridden POS. If anything, this car stands out so massively on an Acura lot it would likely be pretty damn hands off. You can bet that a 4th, 5th or 6th *owner* was *definitely* beating the hell out of it. Esp as these cars get cheaper and cheaper. I think Id trust a few years sitting at a dealer vs a few years in the hands of someone who was "baller on a budget".

Last edited:
If you have access to Ramon, or Larry, then thats probably true. As it is, there are only a handful of people who can do TB *at all*, much less do it without dropping the motor. IMO thats a big thing with the NSX that gets glossed over too much, people ignore the reality of it, then they buy these cars and "fulfill the dream" and then just *never* do the big maintenance and just sell the car on. Similar to Ferrari. As a result the cars get worse and worse over time.

My advice to *any* prospective buyer is *find your mechanic first*. Even if you think you are KING of DIY, you *will* need help with the NSX. Knowing IF there is anyone local who you can trust to go near the car is *vital*. This isnt like a Porsche, or even a Ferrari, where there is a huge talent pool as long as you have $.

And @Nismo4life... I dont see how that is any different than *any* used car. You have to assume that a car is driven and that a sports car is driven hard. Its sort of hypocritical that people want a pristine used virgin that THEY will then take and drive the hell out of and, of course expect to sell down the line and get top dollar for ;)

I dont think the dealer having it for a while equates to it being a joyridden POS. If anything, this car stands out so massively on an Acura lot it would likely be pretty damn hands off. You can bet that a 4th, 5th or 6th *owner* was *definitely* beating the hell out of it. Esp as these cars get cheaper and cheaper. I think Id trust a few years sitting at a dealer vs a few years in the hands of someone who was "baller on a budget".

lmao baller on a budget. For what its worth, I'd have an Acura dealer do the clutch, timing belt, and valve adjustment. Everything else I'd feel comfortable tackling.

lmao baller on a budget. For what its worth, I'd have an Acura dealer do the clutch, timing belt, and valve adjustment. Everything else I'd feel comfortable tackling.

Those are the problem really. It really is a problem too because if you search the forums, for advice on where to go for TB, there is pretty much nowhere. The general consensus has been to *run away* from the dealerships with a *few* notable exceptions.

Trouble there is it leaves you with like 5 people. I mean its insane I can name them. Larry, Barnman, Shane, Chris at SOS, Bernie at Davis Acura (dealer and "qualified guy" in one place!), Ramon. There are a few others, but when you consider we're talking about *nationally* its pretty insane.

I love the NSX and have owned them for a decade now, but its a huge downside to the car. It may *sort of* be dependable like a Honda, but parts, service, maintenance schedule, etc not so much. I think a lot of people go in blind on that.

And btw, I am sure someone will chime in now with "Ive owned my 1991 for 2 years now and havent done a thing except oil! its like a Civic only better!" but thats REALLY the whole problem with the car. As time marches on, they'll start to die off. Luckily though, these ratted out examples are just a quick hack job and title wash from re-entering the market as "GREAT deal PRISTINE!" cars ;) (and yes, thats sarcasm :D) Meanwhile, Kens car, an *actual* pristine and honest car from an *actual* original owner who can document maintaining the car correctly seems to have trouble getting sold. IMO thats a sort of bad sign for the car in general (kind of speaks to where the market interest lies - "give it to me as cheap as possible as long as it looks good enough that I can say its perfect")

I *do* suspect that this purple one is one of those, but you never know.

Last edited:
Those are the problem really. It really is a problem too because if you search the forums, for advice on where to go for TB, there is pretty much nowhere. The general consensus has been to *run away* from the dealerships with a *few* notable exceptions.

Trouble there is it leaves you with like 5 people. I mean its insane I can name them. Larry, Barnman, Shane, Chris at SOS, Bernie at Davis Acura (dealer and "qualified guy" in one place!), Ramon. There are a few others, but when you consider we're talking about *nationally* its pretty insane.

I love the NSX and have owned them for a decade now, but its a huge downside to the car. It may *sort of* be dependable like a Honda, but parts, service, maintenance schedule, etc not so much. I think a lot of people go in blind on that.

And btw, I am sure someone will chime in now with "Ive owned my 1991 for 2 years now and havent done a thing except oil! its like a Civic only better!" but thats REALLY the whole problem with the car. As time marches on, they'll start to die off. Luckily though, these ratted out examples are just a quick hack job and title wash from re-entering the market as "GREAT deal PRISTINE!" cars ;) (and yes, thats sarcasm :D) Meanwhile, Kens car, an *actual* pristine and honest car from an *actual* original owner who can document maintaining the car correctly seems to have trouble getting sold. IMO thats a sort of bad sign for the car in general (kind of speaks to where the market interest lies - "give it to me as cheap as possible as long as it looks good enough that I can say its perfect")

I *do* suspect that this purple one is one of those, but you never know.

Luckily Larry lives in NY state ^_^...or at least I think he does?

Last edited:
Luckily Larry lives in NY state ^_^...or at least I think he does?

He does... Warwick. Too far for me really, but luckily Im less than an hour from Bernie and Davis Acura. More $, but I Bernie can be trusted, they're close, and it gets an Acura stamp for the record keeping.

As these guys start to retire to FL, Ill go back to Porsche ;)

He does... Warwick. Too far for me really, but luckily Im less than an hour from Bernie and Davis Acura. More $, but I Bernie can be trusted, they're close, and it gets an Acura stamp for the record keeping.

As these guys start to retire to FL, Ill go back to Porsche ;)

haha, I'll jump ship when I can afford a GT3 RS :biggrin:. Till then I'll be NSX shopping

Back