• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Midnight_Raven's Build

Type-R headliner arrived yesterday. Wish I could install it today but I still am waiting for the A pillars, B pillars, sun visors, and dome light to arrive all by Wednesday of next week. I'll also weight all the parts together to see what is the total weight difference between a regular head liner and a Type-R headliner. I'm assuming it's going to be the same but you never know. I was doing this more for a color change vs weight reduction.

Also update on maintenance. I went on a spirited drive two weekends ago with a bunch of friends up the white mounts in NH. After the drive we stopped to get some food to grill at the beach. When we were going to leave my brake pedal was slowly sinking down to the floor as I applied light pressure on the brakes. If I stepped on it again it would firm up. I suspected my brake master cylinder was internally leaking and the higher temps in the brake fluid made the fluid less viscous showing me the fault with my master cylinder. I went ahead and purchased a new master cylinder from Acura. Master cylinder arrived, I bench bled it, and then installed. Brakes feel good and more consistent compared to before. Pretty easy job actually took me like 30 min I think. I'll have to wait for another spirited drive to see if the problem really went away but I'm assuming that it is.

Last edited:
is the weight the same though?

More of my headliner arrived. I think I may install these part tomorrow and the sun visors will be done either Wednesday or Thursday depending on what time they arrive. One thing I noticed though is the B pillars do not come with the grommet for the seat belts cut out. I may have to order that and install it at a later date but that shouldn't be too hard I would think.

Update: The grommet is part of the seat belt assembly.... I guess I'm a try to paint them black so as to match it with the rest of the interior. Not spending 1200 for new seat belts just for color change of one grommet. lol.

Last edited:
Awesome progress on your build Anthony.

Very jelly of your new parts.

Congrats on everything and being a great NSX builder. So hands on.

I've got some things up my sleeve though :wink:.

Anthony,

no need to spend 1200 on NSX-R seat belts.... find some used Targa seat belts and remove that
grommet and use it.... targa has black interior A and B pillars :wink:

If you paint them black, i think with the use, the seatbelt will wear the black paint off and it may
then transfer to your cloths.... not good

Nuno

I went ahead and did the change this morning. Took about 3 hours with me taking a break to weigh things halfway through. Result of my weight comparison is kind of confusing. In one setup with a horizontal hold of the stuff I was getting about .6lbs lighter for the Type-R set up and the other setup where I kept things more vertical I was getting .2lbs heavier for the Type-R setup. It's basically almost the same so I don't think the headliner actually saves any weight.. if anything it's probably just some grams saved. Either way I think it looks good and now gets the mismatched grays out of my interior. Just need to wait for the sun visors to arrive tomorrow and the interior should almost be done.

Headliner and pillars removed.

Side by side shot

How I set them up to weigh them

Headliner installed

A + B Pillars installed without painted seat belt grommet

A + B Pillars installed with painted seat belt grommet

Seats installed interior ALMOST complete... still waiting for DF to ship my seats...

Anthony,

no need to spend 1200 on NSX-R seat belts.... find some used Targa seat belts and remove that
grommet and use it.... targa has black interior A and B pillars :wink:

If you paint them black, i think with the use, the seatbelt will wear the black paint off and it may
then transfer to your cloths.... not good

Nuno

Nuno

I actually already painted it lol. Either way it's not to big of a problem. The paint I'm using which we also use at my job and it's really tough doesn't rub off easily. Just need to give it some time to cure now so that it adheres to the plastic grommet.

Last edited:
Hi,

aehaeh.... i like your approach to things...this whole thread is one of my favorites ...
if you go check my build thread, you also find some weight "paranoia" :wink:
(although i think i'm a bit more extreme than you and go to the last screw and rubber)

keep up the awesome work.

Thanks,
Nuno

The final part of my order arrived today the Type-S sun visors arrived (I'm assuming they are Type-S and not R since there is a mirror in one of them). I went ahead and installed them and noticed something odd during install which now I realise is kind of funny since I didn't realise this while ordering. So obviously these headliners were made for cars that are RHD therefore the visors are reversed from what I'm used to. The passenger visor has no mirror but a sleeve to put stuff in and the driver visor has the mirror but no sleeve. Luckily I don't ever use the sleeve on any of my other cars and actually think it might be nice to put stuff that might fall out of the sleeve on the passenger side. So either way it's all together and now onto the next part. The brakes!

Turbo2Go came up with an idea to at least let me put the Stoptech BBK on my car while we wait for his new wheels. So we'll be tackling that this weekend. I'll put pics up after the install.

Update: DF just told me that everything is looking good and will be shipping out early next week. :D Can't wait to get my seats and CF peice. And by then I'll have my bandwidth back lol.

Update2: DF just sent me a pic of the seat :D.
103_0575.jpg

Last edited:
I installed the stoptechs yesterday with Turbo2go. Took forever and we lucked out that certain sockets of ours fit in the brackets for the stoptech rear calipers or else we would of had to call it quits for the day.

Old rotor and calipers out. Stoptech brackets in.

First rear rotor/caliper install complete.

First front rotor/caliper install complete.

Discovered fitment issue with rear RE30s. Apparently the front and the rear both have two option for sizes that would clear BBKs. My front are definitely the BBK offset because they are also wider 8" vs the standard 7.5". The rear BBK offset and non-BBK offset are both 9.5" but have different lip size. I guess I have the non-BBK offset and didn't know it.... So I had to temporaily come up with a solution to move my car into the garage. Used 12mm washers on the rear and I just clear the calipers by like 2mm. I have a 3mm spacers coming in which is slightly thicker than these washers so I'm hoping I'll give me a little more clearance for piece of mind.

How the wheels look mounted.

Additionally I took a picture of the interior again to see if I could get a nicer shot with the new headliner.

So the seats should be shipping today or tomorrow. Hopefully will have them next week. Get that installed and be done with the car for the rest of the year.

Man, you've been busy!

I'm at mignight's house every weekend and all we do is this stuff. I'm also under the car a lot and don't answer my phone. My girlfriend seriously turned toward me in the car suddenly and said "is Anthony a girl? Are you seeing another girl? Just tell me".

Why else would you be missing every weekend and be too busy to answer your phone... LOL

Anyway yeah Anthony's car is coming along and nicely. He does things clean. No hack work unless its on my car haha.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the kind words.

Well update on the situation. DF still haven't shipped my seats yet... I was told yesterday they were in the middle of packing the stuff and it will ship sometime this week...

Also this past weekend I went out with Turbo2Go to do my first autocross event. First time I've used the car in the manner I've been building it up for lol. Got to experience how the car reacts at it's limits which was nice. Here are some videos Turbo2Go took while I was out there. In the end I came in 1st in the Novice group with a time that was about 9 seconds slower than the fastest guys running on slicks. Happy with my time and overall just happy to be able to play with my car for once.

One of my first set of runs where I was still getting comfortable with the car.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UMJ6Q3Y5qII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is another run where I'm a bit more comfortable with the car and a little quicker.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pL_bHZdJnuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is one of my last runs where I was pushing it within my limits lol.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/glMFstIBVvU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Cool. I think I remember one of the guys mentioned there was a black NSX at the last autocross at Devens so it must of been you they were talking about. You should come to the next one in August 10 with the SVT club. I think Turbo2Go is planning to go as well so it should be a good NSX turnout.

Update: DF just sent me a tracking number. So it's official after a 5 month wait my seats, carbon fiber vents, and carbon fiber rear hatch garnish have been shipped. ETA should be 7/17/2014. I'll have pics up when the parts arrive. This is going to be a killer long week now. lol

Update2: Seats and carbon bits have traveled about 7/8th of the way over. Currently located in PA. That's only 6 hours away! So I might get these before the 17th. Can't wait! :D

Update3: Seats and carbon bits are about 2 towns over from my house, about a 15 min drive. It may be the seats will actually arrive today since it's been unloaded form the dock at 7:10AM which is still pretty early. Have my fingers crossed it comes in today. But it's definitely going to be in by tomorrow a day earlier than expected.

Last edited:
Parts arrived!

My carbon scoops and garnish. Will probably install 2 weeks from now.

The DF seats! Planning to install these tomorrow. :)

Last edited:
Is that Kevlar? it looks yellow in the pic

Yes the seats were made from Carbon Fiber and Kevlar so they do look yellow.

Oh yeah one more update on my car's progress. Since I've now recieved all my stage 2 mods I've gone ahead and made the big leap into stage 3 of my modification plan yesterday. I put an order in for a new E61 6 speed transmission for my NSX. Should ship out next week and get here a week later. I dont' plan on installing it soon though. I just wanted to make sure I bought one before they become discontinued... I know a couple of times I read people claiming they were told over the phone they were ordering one of the last ones. I don't know how true that is but I don't want my plan to be stalled by discountinued parts lol. I suspect I'll have it installed during the winter so that my NSX is mechanically perfect for the spring of 2015.

Damn is df still making the seats... Who do I call? Who do rob?

Did u get the e61 transmission ?

Yes I ordered the E61 transmission and yes DF are still making these seats. Nots sure if they stopped and now have started again. All I know there is 5 new pairs that were made including mine. And surprise surprise my bandwidth has run out... lol. Well I guess you guys are going to have to wait until next month to see my seats installed. I am about 80% done with the install. I modified the driver side seat belt reciever to sit where it barely is intruding in my sitting area. Tested them out and it feels snug all around but not too tight. I guess that 13lb weight loss I went through was worth it lol.

Last edited:
Back