• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 spyder.... who has knowledge or opinion?

Hello all,

I am sort of nosing around for a second "useless car"... no... I would never, ever... did I say never strong enough? sell my 95 NSX to buy a mitsubishi.

But I am looking for something to perhaps play around with in Florida in the winter. My wife would like an XLR... but I can't stand the dash or the northstar engine.

We may end up with a Jag xk8 convertible.... but I have just "remembered, been reminded" of the 3000 gt vr spyder

anyone have any thoughts, opinion or real knowledge of what it's like to live with one of these cars.

The NSX is so easy.. I don't want to end up in a nightmare situation

I could go to the mitsubishi forum... but that would be like asking you guys what you thought of an NSX!!!

thanks

My friend purchased a Spyder this summer, he loves the car. He used to own a hard top that ran 11's but with the spyder he's only doing small upgrades to it. I drove his car and it was really nice. The car felt solid for the short period I drove it. He gets compliments all the time, I like the way it looks more with the top up lol. We are in southwest Michigan if you'd like to take a look at it and go for a quick drive.

Attachments

• IMG_9191.JPG
    IMG_9191.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 202
Sounds like you are considering two cars (the Jag and the Mitsubishi) with very spotty reliability. Why not something like a late model S2000 or Lexus convertible? Both have sterling reliability records.

I agree with Bamafan. Jags and Mitsu's have terrible reliability track records.
I once owned a 2001 dodge avenger ES which basically had the 3000 gt engine non boosted. It was the biggest peice of garbage I have ever owned in my life.
It broke down more in 3 years ownership than all of the cars in my lifetime combined. However, if you like it, then go for it. Just giving my opinion on it. It has very nsx type body features and is striking. But it just isn't a stong competitor for an nsx driver IMHO.

Thank you to all for your thoughts... I know the Jag is a crap shoot... but thought the Mitsi would be more "honda Like".

special thanks to Neil, always covering my back when I am "lost" Thanks for the info.

Why do expensive cars have to be such junk!!! so afraid of ending up with a nightmare... was spoiled by 13 years of aircooled porsche.... discouraged by 1 year of liquid carrera, overjoyed by the NSX!!!

coming to grips with reality.. do I really need 4 wheel steering and AWD on A!A in Florida??? theres a turn every 6 miles or so.. and the speed limit is 45!!!

Thank you to all for your thoughts... I know the Jag is a crap shoot... but thought the Mitsi would be more "honda Like".

I owned a 91 coupe for a couple years and it was trouble-free. I bought it from my Dad, who bought it from the original owner. It was completely stock and both my Dad & the original owner took excellent care of the car. The reliability issues you read about are less a function of platform itself than how the car was driven & cared for by the previous owners. The VR4 is no Honda, but a well maintained example will hold up better than any Jag. That being said, I'd avoid the Spyder. They're beautiful cars, but were produced in even fewer numbers than the NSX, so finding Spyder-specific parts is bound to be difficult.

Happy Hunting.

Had a 92 coupe. Working on it is a bit of a pain, especially changing the spark plugs, which requires removing the intake manifold (which takes forever). The engine bay is very complex and crampt. I didn't enjoy working on it.

I bought a new 1995 VR-4 Spyder and had it for three years. It was a fun car to own, and it got a lot of attention when the top was down. In 1995 no one else was making a retractable hardtop, until a few years later when Mercedes came out with the SLK. The car was pretty reliable, however the sensors and the top mechanism were very delicate. The car weighed a lot and the brakes weren't that great as a result. The AWD and 320hp turbo engine were nice. The 6spd Getrag on mine had to be replaced under warranty. I don't know if that transmission is still available anymore.

My cousin still has his 1995 VR-4 Spyder, White/Blk, and was thinking of selling it. PM me if you want more details.

Mitsubishi's are happiest when up on jack stands :wink:

That being said, if you fancy a somewhat fickle girl that's a blast when your'e getting along, the VR4 is a fun car to toss around. I haven't had experience with the convertible, but the coupe is great. Now, granted I also love the 2nd gen Eclipse, so it's not to say I have the best taste in the world, ha.

Be prepared for fixing it, though. I've heard of the 6 speeds failing fairly commonly. And a lot of those cars were beat hard.. if you can / are willing to, buy a higher priced model that is/was adult owned for most/all of its life. That helps guarantee no ricer boys put it through its paces too hard.

10cd1771cc436afbd644c74f1aee918d.jpg

I have a '97 VR4. Maintenance on the car is key. As long as you keep up with it, it'll treat you decently, albeit not a Honda. Not a fun car to work on though, cramped engine bay. Definitely a fun street car, lots of torque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can confirm what everyone said above. Horrible first car btw...

Opening the engine bay gave me shell shock and put me off from working on cars myself...

Back