• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motorola Atrix Mount

I'm going to preface this thread by giving credit to FenixRising for the inspiration. I too wanted to add the versatility of my new phone's capabilities while not hacking up the OEM interior. So I went to work creating a better mousetrap, so to speak.

This is the template I created out of card stock. I wanted my mounting bracket to be rigid (read not oscillating or bouncing) and also to be able to keep the clock. Just like FenixRising, I wanted to be able to return the interior to stock one day.

Next was to cut, grind and sand the sheet metal to match this template. I took the sheet metal from a Chevy pickup rear fender! Yes it will add a couple of ounces to my precious ride but it won't move! Here it is after bending into shape.

Here is the opening where it will sit. It will be held in place by the two screws securing the center console to the top of the dash and will exit above the clock.

The power/audio cable (it's just one thin cable) will be routed through the top of the right climate countrol vent and attach to a power cord spliced into the cigarette lighter and the audio through a USA Spec Adapter wired though the CD changer input.

Here is the finished bracket. I used sanding primer to get the base bracket as smooth as possible, then sprayed in flat black. I'll take more pictures once I install it later this week.

This will give me;

• my phone (Bluetooth of course, it's the law in California)
  • Pandora
  • Turn by turn navigation
  • WiFi hub
  • All audio features utilizing the car's audio system and controls
The mount that the phone sits in will be able to be removed easily and placed in my truck or the wife's rig with a simple twist of the wrist. It's my phone so it won't sit there when I'm not driving the car, so i won't have to worry about excessive heat or theft.

I'll take some more pictures after I finish the install later this week. Let me know if I can help if you decide to try this DIY mod. Thanks.

What's with Loew's? Can't find a pickup in the parking lot that you can cut a piece out of their fender?:wink:

So a little progress. I am having an alarm system installed and I figured that would be a great time to have this center console/Motorola dock installed. Talked to the installer and he said that a USA Spec adapter will not work with the Motorola, it only works with Apple components so he is having to create something. On top of that they didn't ship him all the parts neccessary to install the alarm so he had to have that piece overnighted in. So........

The car is still with the installer and will be until I get back into town. But it will be sweet when I sit in the pilot's chair, drop the phone in the cradle and listen to Pandora. I'll take some pictures when it's finished. Sorry for the delay. I'm as anxious as you to see this finished!

forget Pandora...why don't you guys use TuneIn app?

Pandora cycles thru the same music after a while. With TuneIn, you have 100s of music stations from all over the world and you can choose genre.

Ok.. my mount is done.

Excuse the poor workmanship.. Although it does not look too half bad when finished. (IMO)

I should have get thinner gauge of sheet metal. My dremel had a hard time chewing through it. Hence the poor quality.

I wrapped the finished product and then mount a mounting disk on it. I also put 2 silicone feet under where the sheet metal.

Here are the pictures...

mount01.jpg

mount02.jpg

mount03.jpg

mount04.jpg

mount05.jpg

To Valenzul - I will check out the TuneIn app. Thanks for the tip.

FenixRising - I don't have time to burn (music that is!)

KennyC - Decent job there. Too bad you couldn't have saved the clock feature. I read where you would like to have used thinner guage sheet metal but one thing I'll bet is your unit doesn't bound around much!

I'll post some pics when I get home later next week.

KennyC - Decent job there. Too bad you couldn't have saved the clock feature. I read where you would like to have used thinner guage sheet metal but one thing I'll bet is your unit doesn't bound around much!

I'll post some pics when I get home later next week.

regarding the clock thing...

1. My navigation unit has a clock.
2. I have to route the power as well as the rear view camera to the unit. I can't do that if I have the clock installed.

Unfortunately since this is still only secured by those two screws it still bounces around. :( I decided to use small amount of silicone sealant to glue down the piece.

It's still reversible. I will road test it tomorrow.

KennyC - what device is that? looks like a 7 inch screen from that angle but I can't be certain.

Valhalla - Who said anything about burning music? =)

My tab also has a fairly visible clock on it so I don't mind removing the clock in the dash.

I used 2 pieces of foam weather stripping around the bracket. There is no vibration noise, and the only time it is even noticeable is while using the video camera on the tab itself.

Thanks for the tips everyone. The bracket, docking station and phone were all installed last night. I'll post some pictures after I load them up. All I can say is it's better than what I was shooting for.

It's low profile on the dash. Everything works except I had to run another wire for sound through the audio jack on the phone. It is rock solid with zero vibration. I might as well have thru bolted it to the frame rails kind of solid. I added an iPhone jack in the glove box for an iPod or the wife's phone. In all a very sweet and rewarding project.

Thanks for the tip on TuneIn, I'm going to start fooling around with it. As to Pandora, if you load in enough artists and hit quick mix, you will have to wait a very long time before your music starts looping.

I finally downloaded the pictures so you can see how it all fits and works. It works like a dream.

Back