• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

MP4-12C again

When you have a street legal car that will go to 124MPH(200KPH) in a little over 9 seconds you don't want to have to deal with a clutch pedal - you might be fighting to keep up with the car! Think of that, this car will go over 90MPH before a stock NSX gets to 60MPH. This is progress that I'll embrace. With this car I want a clutch that can shift error free in 1 nano second whether I am going straight or driving through the twisties.

Go drive a car that goes to 100MPH in 6 seconds on a deserted 2-lane street that has curbs on each side and see what I mean. The last thing you want to do is take your hands off the wheel - that's a wild ride and things happen real fast.

http://www.fastestlaps.com/cars/mclaren_mp4-12c.html

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives...ves/McLaren-MP4-12C-supercar-CAR-review-2011/

2012 McLaren MP4-12C - Tech Trickledown:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...2c-first_drive_review/tech_trickledown_page_2

Meh... unless you're going to drive it on a track, there's no reason to be going 100 mph on a public, two-lane narrow road. A spirited blast down a freeway onramp is one thing.... Common sense dictates that if you could get thrown in jail for doing it, you should reconsider.

top gear just reviewed the mclaren...

set a blazing fast lap time and rides like a rolls royce, but jc finds it lacking the soul of the ferrari.

i could live with that.

I found a lot of the "negative" quotes about the McLaren to echo what people have said about the NSX for all these years.

But that lap time is just unreal. Faster than a Veyron? Clarkson mentioned that the MP4 was developed at the Top Gear track, and I wonder if they didn't tweak it to perform especially well there. Kind of the way computer manufacturers will design products to beat the benchmarks, without much thought of "real world" uses.

I also wonder if the new Stig is a significantly better driver than the old Stig, and how much that effects the relevance of the lap times.

I found a lot of the "negative" quotes about the McLaren to echo what people have said about the NSX for all these years.

But that lap time is just unreal. Faster than a Veyron? Clarkson mentioned that the MP4 was developed at the Top Gear track, and I wonder if they didn't tweak it to perform especially well there. Kind of the way computer manufacturers will design products to beat the benchmarks, without much thought of "real world" uses.

I also wonder if the new Stig is a significantly better driver than the old Stig, and how much that effects the relevance of the lap times.

agree with all that. i did hear the new stig is better, but clearly the car was tweaked for the track. i don't think we are missing out on any real world performance... rides great, gets 30 mpg's, "automatic", etc.

i agree with all the comments except for the 'tuned for the track' one. top gear's "track" is an under-used airport, hardly a race track. if anything, it would be a better indication of street performance than a 'real' race track.

BTW - I got my McLaren Dallas Launch Party Invite in the mail. It is on the 21st. I will taken some pics....

I saw one of these in person for the first time today.

Its WAY better looking in person and way better NOT in the orange I see all the pics of.

The fit and finish was quite poor, but I think (hope) it may have been a pre-production copy.

I saw one of these in person for the first time today.

Its WAY better looking in person and way better NOT in the orange I see all the pics of.

I personally don't really get why people bash it so hard in terms of looks

sure it's not flamboyant like a 458 but I think it looks just fine enough. It doesn't need to be a total screamer of a car.

And I really don't understand how can a mid engine low slung wide bodied car like the MP4-12C be accused of being dull to look at. Dull compared to what? a jet fighter?

I think it looks fantastic on paper (and I'm a huge huge fan of the 458 when I say this) and I'm positive it'll look even more stunning in real life.

After watching both the 5th Gear and Top Gear videos is clear that the McLaren is the more precise sportscar whereas, the 458 is the hooligan.

If I had the OP's cash I'd go to the Dallas party, snap some photos, sit in the car, and place the order.

The McLaren appears to be the car that one could live with everyday and honestly how many of us would really consider turning off the TC and being a hooligan like both TV shows are on the track? Sure it would be nice to know that you could turn it off and hang it out like that but really...

For me, the engineering, racing prestige, limited numbers, and quality would be the winning traits pushing me to the MP4-12C fax machine.

After watching both the 5th Gear and Top Gear videos is clear that the McLaren is the more precise sportscar whereas, the 458 is the hooligan.

If I had the OP's cash I'd go to the Dallas party, snap some photos, sit in the car, and place the order.

The McLaren appears to be the car that one could live with everyday and honestly how many of us would really consider turning off the TC and being a hooligan like both TV shows are on the track? Sure it would be nice to know that you could turn it off and hang it out like that but really...

For me, the engineering, racing prestige, limited numbers, and quality would be the winning traits pushing me to the MP4-12C fax machine.

you might have missed it but there was some talk on what's mentioned in EVO magazine. They said something about the MP4 being great when driving at 5/10 and driving at 10/10 (i.e. on the limit) but it fails when driving in between. Or something close to that line if I'm not mistaken.

So basically you can either cruise slowly or hammer it or it won't work.

Just out recently

McLaren are fixing some of the problems of its MP4-12C

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/258278/

I don't fell it's going to be enough. But it is something to be expected from McLaren. They and Ferrari always bounce back in F1, so you would expect the same on their road cars.

I think it's just a matter of how hardheaded Ron Dennis wants to be about his design philosophy.

Last edited:
Just out recently

McLaren are fixing some of the problems of its MP4-12C

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0521599431/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I don't fell it's going to be enough. But it is something to be expected from McLaren. They and Ferrari always bounce back in F1, so you would expect the same on their road cars.

I think it's just a matter of how hardheaded Ron Dennis wants to be about his design philosophy.

I think you have the wrong link or you are spamming.. one or the other..

I think you have the wrong link or you are spamming.. one or the other..

oops

that was embarrassing

imagine spamming a website with a link to a technical book.

I fixed it, thanks for the catch

HEY NOW - I didn't start this thread! But - yes I will take plenty of pics tmrw night and try to get a feel for the car. A friend of mine who owns a Italia let me drive it again last week. I am trying to write down details about the styling, drive and feel of the car so I can compare to the MP4. Unfortunately no testdrives tmrw.....but atleast I get to see one in person and sit in it.

New changes documented on EVO are encouraging.

Sorry for the delayed response. Went to the McLaren Dallas launch party last thursday. The dealership - Park Place has a luxury line that includes Bentley, Maserati, RR and now McLaren. The car is AWESOME!! The styling is spot on. It doesn't look like an Evora at all in person. There were a couple of F458's there and I personally prefer the Front and side profile of the MP4 over the F458. I prefer the interior of the MP4 too. The instrumentation is straight forward, simple yet elegant(unlike the F458). However the F458 has a cleaner rear end. The side sill is a bit high but not too bad. You definetly sit close to the middle of the car. This could be good and bad depending on what you prefer. Fit and finish was lacking a bit. I expressed my concerns and the Manager of the McLaren line and he stated that this was a prototype that had been around the country for a year. So - it is far far from a customer car.

Overall - Definetly a great car. I hope to have a test drive in Sept/Oct and at that time will make my final decision. Hopefully they have all the kinks sorted by then.

BTW - I am still at work. Will post more pics from home.

Attachments

• MclarenDallas.jpg
    MclarenDallas.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Sorry for the delayed response. Went to the McLaren Dallas launch party last thursday. The dealership - Park Place has a luxury line that includes Bentley, Maserati, RR and now McLaren. The car is AWESOME!! The styling is spot on. It doesn't look like an Evora at all in person. There were a couple of F458's there and I personally prefer the Front and side profile of the MP4 over the F458. I prefer the interior of the MP4 too. The instrumentation is straight forward, simple yet elegant(unlike the F458). However the F458 has a cleaner rear end. The side sill is a bit high but not too bad. You definetly sit close to the middle of the car. This could be good and bad depending on what you prefer. Fit and finish was lacking a bit. I expressed my concerns and the Manager of the McLaren line and he stated that this was a prototype that had been around the country for a year. So - it is far far from a customer car.

Overall - Definetly a great car. I hope to have a test drive in Sept/Oct and at that time will make my final decision. Hopefully they have all the kinks sorted by then.

BTW - I am still at work. Will post more pics from home.

Man you are pimpin it in that car! That's awesome! I can't wait to see more pics... that would be a dream come true for me and the smile on your face says it all... nice work! :biggrin:

July 26th/2011 MP4-12C Austin Texas unveiling reception (pics)...

Some snapz for now, more to say later... :cool:

Here are some pics from my pfone:

mp412cevent019.jpg

mp412cevent001.jpg

mp412cevent002.jpg

mp412cevent003.jpg

mp412cevent004.jpg

mp412cevent005.jpg

mp412cevent006.jpg

mp412cevent007.jpg

mp412cevent008.jpg

mp412cevent009.jpg

mp412cevent010.jpg

mp412cevent011.jpg

mp412cevent012.jpg

mp412cevent013.jpg

mp412cevent014.jpg

mp412cevent015.jpg

mp412cevent016.jpg

mp412cevent017.jpg

mp412cevent018.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys. U guys look so Capital P I M P in it!

Last edited:
moar...

Thanks for the comments- yea, nice ride indeed! :D

Here are some more (I thought I had posted these already; they were taken by Ojas)...

57sYX.jpg

33JXS.jpg

6sQGR.jpg

hqbaP.jpg

xRHTK.jpg

eojgs.jpg

ccEeg.jpg

PEQRX.jpg

RojwO.jpg

yovDU.jpg

ClU0W.jpg

Last edited: