• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My 1991 NSX for Sale

I am selling my NSX and moving on to another exotic, just part of the automotive journey I have set for myself. This may well be the best car I have owned and will ever have owned but I must try a few others. It is a 91 red/ivory with 46K miles, never wrecked, never raced, pampered its entire life, paint looks fresh, always garaged. Upgrades include DC Sport Headers ($1100), Taitec JGTC exhaust ($1150), Tecnomagnesio 17/18 wheels w/Bridgestone S-03s ($3400), Dali drilled rotors, Eibach springs, Bilstein adjustable shocks, 2002 tail lights, cover, bra and more. Serviced by Bruce Pettitt, needs nothing, immaculate. Kept all original parts except for the OEM wheels. Originally owned by Bubba Shobert, former factory Honda team superbike champion, it was a gift to him from Honda, original hardcover book has his name on the box. Includes titanium ignition key and manual/books. Performs like a new one and most likely will out-handle them as well. Please email Mike McCormick at [email protected] or call me at (916)444-7632. I live in Sacramento in the Land Park area. $46K invested, asking $35,500. Must see. Thanks to Tom239 I have located my transmission number, J4A4-2000072. This is out of snap ring range as it was replaced new by the factory in 1993 along with the clutch of course. I now have lots of pictures if anyone is interested, engine, interior and body. Many pictures available by email. Here is one.
nsxa_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
did you mean 4600 for the mods??? 46,000 seems a lot just for the upgrades...

nice car. very clean.. what maintenance has been done to it? clutch, timing belt, water pump? how's the tranny? is it in the snap ring range???

and what's the VIN?

91 NSX for Sale

$46K invested includes my original purchase price plus all of the upgrades. The previous owner did a 30K with timing belt, I did another 30K through Pettitts Automotive just to be sure all necessary work was completed properly. Los Gatos Acura did the first 30K and timing belt, water pump and all drive belts at $31,478 miles. Tranny is excellent, select shaft seal done in 98Clutch is still original and shows no signs of trouble. VIN#JH4NA1157MT000650 Thanks Mike

so not in the snap ring range, right??

I'm interested. I just sent you an email, looking forward to learning more.

One question that I'm sure everyone who is interested in the car would want answered is: given the car's history, has it been on the track? It sounds like a track-oriented setup, esp. with Magnesium wheels.

91 NSX for Sale

I honestly don't know anything about the snap ring range, sounds like you know more on that subject, I will ask my mechanic during the final oil change and check over on Monday.

Regarding track setup, I don't track, never have tracked and personally don't have any interest in track driving despite the urging of my son and other NSX owners and friends. I suppose the car is set up nicely for track but I was even considering Brembos and those are normally only purchased by guys who track. All of the modifications I made were purely for either appearance or improved handling on the road. The Tecnomagnesios in my opinion are the best looking wheels ever made for the NSX, the OEM wheels were the ugliest wheels I have seen on a car of this caliber next to those hideous teddy bear wheel covers you can get through the Tire Rack. Probably won't get too many arguments there, anyone love the 91 OEM wheels? That was a design catastrophe.

about the tranny, there's a range in NSX production between 91-92 where HONDA used snap ring instead of the other material (single peice, stronger) in the tranny..

im not really that much knowledgeable about it. all i know is that if the tranny breaks because of the snap ring, it'll cost a grip to get it fix. which kinda cuz to depreciate the value of the car that falls in the range...

all you need to find out is the transmission number and see if it is in the range...

FAQ in this forum will help you a lot...

I found a receipt from Butts Acura in Seaside, CA that shows that the owner reported a noise in the clutch when it is released. Butts removed the tranny, disassembled the gears, inspected clearances. After DSM inspection, replaced the tranny and clutch assembly. Honda sent a new tranny to Butts no charge. I wonder if this had anything to do with the snap ring? I will ask Bruce Pettitt at Pettitt's Automotive in Roseville.

I called Bruce Pettitt and learned that the snap ring issue plagued 91/92 cars and ranged from J4A4-1003542 to 1005978 trannies. Mine was replaced in March 1993 with a new unit from the factory no charge so I am assuming it is well out of snap-ring range. I tried to find the number plate on the transmission but was not successful, does anyone know where the number plate is exactly? Thanks.

cool, i think that should do the trick for you...

i, too, would also like to know where the transmission number can be found

Back