• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My attempt at a DIY cabin air filter

Thanks. Unfortunately the Toyota Echo was not imported to Europe. Even though it's similar to the Toyota Yaris we got instead the filter no. is unknown ot the FRAM katalog over here. And the filter for a Yaris of that range of years looks completely different. I might order two of them in the US, maybe still better than spending hours looking a appopriate filter candidate.

One question to the ones that have done this mod: how is the air flow now with the filter installed?

EDIT: got it! Knecht LX 1002 or FRAM 9295 for Toyota, Daihatsu, Subaru.

Last edited:
I noticed almost no difference in air flow, but a huge reduction in dust in the cockpit.

Thanks for the report. Another incentive to give it another try after almost 10 years. One other benefit will be that the A/C evaporator will be cleaner.

Which filter did you use? The space between individual pleats on yours appears to be much smaller than the spacing in the filter fabricated by the original poster. If fact, in your photo it almost appears that the pleats are touching which would significantly reduce the surface area available for air flow.

I've used a Knecht LX 1002 which (to my surprise) came from Lithunia (I already hear the yelling. :D)

The material is very (too) thick for a cabin air filter. While the housing matches (after cutting) this type of air filter is more designed as an engine air filter. Every other kind of cabin air filter I've had in my hands uses a very thin paper sheet like stuff. I'll be cautious with it as the fan will wear out faster in 'fresh mode' and trying to get another solution. At least, it's quite simple to change it. Remove the front rubber clips and rubber line and the right wiper arm and you're good to go.

I'd think that cheesecloth would be just as effective, easier to assemble and cheaper overall?

I've removed my restrictive air filter construction. The used filter is not ideal. The air flow was about 10 % (guessed) of the one in recirculation mode.

Sidenote: without any filter the air flow in fresh mode is about 75 % of that in recirculation mode.

I'll order a different one and try again. I recall that SoS once had a solution with a very big filter but it was not cheap either (carbon case).

I've installed a different one from another Honda model, cut to shape. No bad but the air is still restricted, maybe by 50%, but by far less than before. The filter is a conventional thin paper-like style. You can't have both.

Back