• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My Audi ownership has been horrible

Its called the average or ratio. Some people have "great" experiences(but do they even know what that means if all they own are german cars) and then horrible. As a working mechanic for 5yrs+ I can tell you the average VW/Audi is a POS. Random electrical issues, random engine noises, etc etc...all at lower mileage.

All girls want audi's. Just be a man next time. ;) :tongue:

I've had an RS6 for 7 yrs. it has been more maintenance intensive than my wife's 03 acura tl.. by a wide margin. but then again, the wife's car doesn't have alcantera, full leather, awd, ridiculously awesome head lights, incredible suspension, an interior that rocks any acura I've ever seen, and oh yeah, a twin, turbo v8 that makes 500 hp/550 tqon pump gas.

almost forgot about the 8 piston ridiculously huge stock front brakes and 6piston rears.

when acura makes a sedan that has all that, plus reliability... ill buy it.

oh yeah. my wife drives so conservatively, her front pads lasted a ridiculous 120k miles....and somehow her transmission took dump at 101k and needed full replacement

I also have the RS6 and have had a few issues....all normal maintenance items though for a 9 year old car. The biggest pain in the ass is actually getting to the problem on that car.....would rather work on the NSX any day of the week. But if I was going to be in the car all day, I would much rather be in the Audi. The local Audi stealership here is just that though, and I would rather ride my skateboard than have them work on it.....complete thieves!!!

Japanese cars don't have the low end torque of German's. German cars feels much more sporty than Japanese cars - that's the most important difference to many people.

It's the displacement that the average Japanese car has - that and 12 bangers.:biggrin:

Yes for some reason every VW/AUDI I have seen always has the CEL for gas cap related issues and even when the gas cap was never left off. Why does no other car have this problem? They seem to be very apt to throw the CEL warning. The only other car that was similar was the M5 that I owned. It always had a CEL on for something albeit minor issues but still a pain to take it to the dealer. All the MBZ's that I have owned (5 or 6) have been absolutely perfect!

All girls want audi's. Just be a man next time. ;) :tongue:

Or maybe they are for people that want the entire package. Acura / Honda new cars are garbage they are ugly as sin, drive like crap, fold like paper in crashes Driving them they give you no feed back, its like you disconnected from the road, interiors are cheep cheaply made with cheep material. Hell they even managed to put the ugly pecker on the front of the NEW NSX.

Even if I had all the issues "ALL AUDI" have I would still choose one over anything Acura / Honda make. Acura / Honda are not in the same league. You got to be lying to yourself or riding the brand wagon.

A3 or FIT
A4 or Civic
A6 or TL
A8 or RL
S4 or ???
S6 or ???
S8 or ???
RS4 or ???
RS6 or ???
R8 or NSX

Come on. I know this is a Acura fan site but lets be real.

I've had an RS6 for 7 yrs. it has been more maintenance intensive than my wife's 03 acura tl.. by a wide margin. but then again, the wife's car doesn't have alcantera, full leather, awd, ridiculously awesome head lights, incredible suspension, an interior that rocks any acura I've ever seen, and oh yeah, a twin, turbo v8 that makes 500 hp/550 tqon pump gas.

almost forgot about the 8 piston ridiculously huge stock front brakes and 6piston rears.

when acura makes a sedan that has all that, plus reliability... ill buy it.

oh yeah. my wife drives so conservatively, her front pads lasted a ridiculous 120k miles....and somehow her transmission took dump at 101k and needed full replacement

You can't have all that and reliability too.

That's damn good on your brake pads. With less than 20k miles on my current vehicle I am going on my third set of rotors. Thank god they're not ceramic...but still at ~2k a pop it just feels like they should last a bit longer.

Dealerships "love" changing rotors all the time. Especially on a warranty car. It has gotten somewhat out of hand. What happened to the days when we used to just pop on a set of disc pads routinely as if they were wiper blades and never wear rotors down? Also, why do you think automatic transmissions have speeds too? Because there are hills.

Or maybe they are for people that want the entire package. Acura / Honda new cars are garbage they are ugly as sin, drive like crap, fold like paper in crashes Driving them they give you no feed back, its like you disconnected from the road, interiors are cheep cheaply made with cheep material. Hell they even managed to put the ugly pecker on the front of the NEW NSX.

Even if I had all the issues "ALL AUDI" have I would still choose one over anything Acura / Honda make. Acura / Honda are not in the same league. You got to be lying to yourself or riding the brand wagon.

A3 or FIT
A4 or Civic
A6 or TL
A8 or RL
S4 or ???
S6 or ???
S8 or ???
RS4 or ???
RS6 or ???
R8 or NSX

Harsh but unfortunately spot on.

IMO its also true of just about anything new under ~65k USD. It's sad how numb most cars are and how little someone will settle for when they drop say 30k. Like that rs6... I would SO buy one of those used before I laid down good money for some POS Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or ford for the same money. Who cares if it has a little more repair issues as Long as I don't feel like I trapped in some weird version of ground hog day.

Problem is the dealers are set up to peddle crap for 1.9% and will rapidly set someone up in a 65k escalade that will be worth 20k two years out and people just keep lining up to buy more of them. It just boggles my mind.

I am currently car shopping and I have looked at a lot of vehicles from both ends of the spectrum. I just blows my mind how ugly and blah just about everything is unless of course you're dropping a hundred grand or more. I just keep going back and forth between having transportation or something I love but honestly Im not even finding anything I love, well maybe except the Grand Turismo. Seats four comfortably, looks great, goes like hell. Then I think about how much the car will plummet in value and I say, damn I can buy a Sebring convertible for the amount of money I will lose in the first 6 months on the GT. It's a game that can't be won.

It always had a CEL on for something albeit minor issues but still a pain to take it to the dealer.

When my A3 under warranty needs anything, yes even wiper blades, they sent two guys to my house 19 miles away and picked up my car. At the end of the day my car is back in my driveway washed and with new blades. $0. If I don't have another car for the day, only one guy comes, takes mine and leaves a new A6 in my driveway. All of this and I do not buy cars from them all the time or do I own an R8 or something like that ......... it is only an A3.

Now that's Service!!!!

Dealerships "love" changing rotors all the time. Especially on a warranty car. It has gotten somewhat out of hand. What happened to the days when we used to just pop on a set of disc pads routinely as if they were wiper blades and never wear rotors down? Also, why do you think automatic transmissions have speeds too? Because there are hills.

This is a brand new vehicle which I had the dealer install a factory BBK and the rotor ARE NOT COVERED.

I checked The rotors myself each time and they were shot. I say, for the money I spent on this kit the rotors should last longer than the factory ones did. Dealer says, they don't because they are race parts and wear faster.

When my A3 under warranty needs anything, yes even wiper blades, they sent two guys to my house 19 miles away and picked up my car. At the end of the day my car is back in my driveway washed and with new blades. $0. If I don't have another car for the day, only one guy comes, takes mine and leaves a new A6 in my driveway. All of this and I do not buy cars from them all the time or do I own an R8 or something like that ......... it is only an A3.

Now that's Service!!!!

I get the same service from Mercedes and BMW. The BMW dealer is about 75 miles away too and that's one way. They come pick up the car drop off a loaner and return later to swap back out. This IMO is worth the extra cost. It requires exactly zero minutes of my time to get either car serviced. They do this even for oil changes or like you said wiper blades. And they detail the car everytime for free.

Again it goes with the above post. I buy a Sebring and I will be wasting a day everytime it needs something. Buy an E convertible and no days wasted. Time can not be replaced.

A3 or FIT
A4 or Civic
A6 or TL
A8 or RL
S4 or ???
S6 or ???
S8 or ???
RS4 or ???
RS6 or ???
R8 or NSX

A4 is probably closer to TSX or TL than Civic.
A6 is more comparable to RL, Acura does not offer high-end cars such as the A8, S class, or the 7 series yet.

This is a brand new vehicle which I had the dealer install a factory BBK and the rotor ARE NOT COVERED.

I checked The rotors myself each time and they were shot. I say, for the money I spent on this kit the rotors should last longer than the factory ones did. Dealer says, they don't because they are race parts and wear faster.

You know, a lot of times it gets down to the dealers and service mgrs. too. I had a dealership for a BMW when I was in Virginia who was the worst. They charged for everything even on a brand new car. The BMW dealership in NJ actually took back a new 5 series after our garage door came down and scraped the entire roof as wife was pulling out. Replaced the car at no charge even though it was our fault. So go figure? :confused:

IMO its also true of just about anything new under ~65k USD. It's sad how numb most cars are and how little someone will settle for when they drop say 30k. Like that rs6... I would SO buy one of those used before I laid down good money for some POS Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, Chevy, or ford for the same money. Who cares if it has a little more repair issues as Long as I don't feel like I trapped in some weird version of ground hog day.

Problem is the dealers are set up to peddle crap for 1.9% and will rapidly set someone up in a 65k escalade that will be worth 20k two years out and people just keep lining up to buy more of them. It just boggles my mind.

I am currently car shopping and I have looked at a lot of vehicles from both ends of the spectrum. I just blows my mind how ugly and blah just about everything is unless of course you're dropping a hundred grand or more. I just keep going back and forth between having transportation or something I love but honestly Im not even finding anything I love, well maybe except the Grand Turismo. Seats four comfortably, looks great, goes like hell. Then I think about how much the car will plummet in value and I say, damn I can buy a Sebring convertible for the amount of money I will lose in the first 6 months on the GT. It's a game that can't be won.

If you like the GT then the new 5 series should be a good alternative.
It looks better than the previous model, 535i is a nice executive sedan.
Also the new A6 is nice too!

You know, a lot of times it gets down to the dealers and service mgrs. too. I had a dealership for a BMW when I was in Virginia who was the worst. They charged for everything even on a brand new car. The BMW dealership in NJ actually took back a new 5 series after our garage door came down and scraped the entire roof as wife was pulling out. Replaced the car at no charge even though it was our fault. So go figure? :confused:

That's a good experience and I bet you bought more cars from them too.

The dealer for my vehicle in question has in fact helped me out everytime that the rotors and pads have needed to be replaced charging me just 500 dollars for the parts and labor. However I do a lot of business with them. Someone who didn't do a lot of business with them would be out nearly 7 grand and for a part that the manufacturer KNOWS prematurely wears. Many other people have raised concern about the BBK rotors wearing out with few miles logged on them. Worse yet is they wear out just after the implied warranty.

If you like the GT then the new 5 series should be a good alternative.
It looks better than the previous model, 535i is a nice executive sedan.
Also the new A6 is nice too!

I have S550 sedan for dd. I am looking for a 4 place convertible where the kids can go in the back and my knees are not on the dash. There are not a lot of cars out there that fill this spot. Which always brings me back to just saying f-it and get a two seater:biggrin:

I have S550 sedan for dd. I am looking for a 4 place convertible where the kids can go in the back and my knees are not on the dash. There are not a lot of cars out there that fill this spot. Which always brings me back to just saying f-it and get a two seater:biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin: My knees are on the dash in the Lambo but at least it's fun.

...I am currently car shopping and I have looked at a lot of vehicles from both ends of the spectrum. I just blows my mind how ugly and blah just about everything is unless of course you're dropping a hundred grand or more. I just keep going back and forth between having transportation or something I love but honestly Im not even finding anything I love, well maybe except the Grand Turismo. Seats four comfortably, looks great, goes like hell. Then I think about how much the car will plummet in value and I say, damn I can buy a Sebring convertible for the amount of money I will lose in the first 6 months on the GT. It's a game that can't be won.

Damn I wish I was rich like you Steve!! :eek::eek:

I find plenty of cars that I love under a hundred grand. The new Kia Optima is way awesome for a daily driver. The Sonata, Azera, the new 2013 Ford Fusion looks really promising.

It's all relative. I think anything under $20k (MSRP) is garbage, but probably to a lot of people they think cars under $20k are wonderful. :tongue:

Damn I wish I was rich like you Steve!! :eek::eek:

I find plenty of cars that I love under a hundred grand. The new Kia Optima is way awesome for a daily driver. The Sonata, Azera, the new 2013 Ford Fusion looks really promising.

It's all relative. I think anything under $20k (MSRP) is garbage, but probably to a lot of people they think cars under $20k are wonderful. :tongue:

Yeah it's all relative. I can remember when I was young and working my way up thinking how much I would love a 3k truck that started and ran without three of the brake lines crimped off with vise grips. :redface:

Steve.
If you are referring to the bmw 550GT, you will lose for sure.
Just traded in my 2011 550GT few months ago after 12K miles and 1 year of ownership. $20K down the drain. I know exactly how you feel.

Back