• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My baby is down....needs a motor. HELP!! :(

I am so sorry about your engine!

I'd love to know how many Primer's thought to themselves, "timing belt!" when they first read your post.

Seems like everyone is so freaked out about timing belt replacement but I am yet to see a post where the timing belt caused such a catastrophic failure like yours.

Mitch, so sorry to hear about it. I can understand your disappointment, because I've been there, done that - maintaining my NSX above and beyond what's recommended, taking care of every little thing, only to have it all go south in an instant.

As to why it happened, when they take the engine apart, they may be able to tell what sequence of events led to the catastrophic failure. As you know, in my case it was caused by the separation of the harmonic balancer pulley, which then rubbed into and through the timing belt cover and jumped the timing. This may or may not be what happened with yours.

In my case, the top and bottom of the engine were both shot, so both would have needed rebuilding. I was looking at an estimate of $13K for a rebuild. I looked at the listings on NSXprime as well as calling the big servicers of NSXs around the country, and within a couple of days I had located 4-5 used engines. This was five years ago and 3.0-liter engines were generally running $4-6K and 3.2-liter $8-10K. I wound up buying a used 3.0-liter engine with the same mileage as my original one, and the whole bill, including the engine, cross-country shipping, labor, etc, was under $10K, less I got another $1K back for my original engine. As it turns out I'm glad I saved thousands by going the used engine route. They were also able to turn it around pretty quickly, no waits for parts, etc.

Oh, and while I was at it, I had them replace all the parts with new ones that you would want to do anyway for routine maintenance - the timing belt, water pump, and all the cooling system hoses. That way you won't have another big bill for scheduled maintenance for years, because you can reset all the service intervals. So in a way that represented savings, too (unless you just had all that stuff replaced, in which case the savings are minimal).

I'd love to know how many Primer's thought to themselves, "timing belt!" when they first read your post.

Seems like everyone is so freaked out about timing belt replacement but I am yet to see a post where the timing belt caused such a catastrophic failure like yours.
Timing belts do indeed cause catastrophic failures, and if you talk to any of our experts who service a lot of NSXs, they can tell you about ones they've seen. However, when it is caused by a failure of the timing belt itself, rather than something else which causes the timing to jump (as in my case), that happens only when the timing belt isn't changed at the recommended time/mileage interval. That's clearly not the case with Mitch's car, since he had all the maintenance done ahead of time. Anyone who understands this and read Mitch's posts would not have jumped to the erroneous conclusion that the failure of the timing belt itself was the direct cause.

Mitch, so sorry to hear about it. I can understand your disappointment, because I've been there, done that - maintaining my NSX above and beyond what's recommended, taking care of every little thing, only to have it all go south in an instant.

As to why it happened, when they take the engine apart, they may be able to tell what sequence of events led to the catastrophic failure. As you know, in my case it was caused by the separation of the harmonic balancer pulley, which then rubbed into and through the timing belt cover and jumped the timing. This may or may not be what happened with yours.

In my case, the top and bottom of the engine were both shot, so both would have needed rebuilding. I was looking at an estimate of $13K for a rebuild. I looked at the listings on NSXprime as well as calling the big servicers of NSXs around the country, and within a couple of days I had located 4-5 used engines. This was five years ago and 3.0-liter engines were generally running $4-6K and 3.2-liter $8-10K. I wound up buying a used 3.0-liter engine with the same mileage as my original one, and the whole bill, including the engine, cross-country shipping, labor, etc, was under $10K, less I got another $1K back for my original engine. As it turns out I'm glad I saved thousands by going the used engine route. They were also able to turn it around pretty quickly, no waits for parts, etc.

Oh, and while I was at it, I had them replace all the parts with new ones that you would want to do anyway for routine maintenance - the timing belt, water pump, and all the cooling system hoses. That way you won't have another big bill for scheduled maintenance for years, because you can reset all the service intervals. So in a way that represented savings, too (unless you just had all that stuff replaced, in which case the savings are minimal).

Timing belts do indeed cause catastrophic failures, and if you talk to any of our experts who service a lot of NSXs, they can tell you about ones they've seen. However, when it is caused by a failure of the timing belt itself, rather than something else which causes the timing to jump (as in my case), that happens only when the timing belt isn't changed at the recommended time/mileage interval. That's clearly not the case with Mitch's car, since he had all the maintenance done ahead of time. Anyone who understands this and read Mitch's posts would not have jumped to the erroneous conclusion that the failure of the timing belt itself was the direct cause.

I could be wrong... but didnt I sell you your replacement motor at the time your crank pulley failed?

just to ease the thoughts of those considering a motor from me

Regards

I could be wrong... but didnt I sell you your replacement motor at the time your crank pulley failed?
Yes, Ross. And I was completely satisfied with the motor, and with the way the entire transaction was handled. Feel free to use me as a reference if you ever need one.

Yes, Ross. And I was completely satisfied with the motor, and with the way the entire transaction was handled. Feel free to use me as a reference if you ever need one.

lol... I dont think you have enough time for the amount of references I would need... :smile:

but thanks for clarification on that

Regards

There are two NSX engines on eBay right now. Item numbers are:

and

yeah.. there is... and there is actualy 3.. one guy has his listed twice for 2 different prices.. both are only 63 bucks in shipping

I like how the valve cover is off one and he has estinated the mileage at 20k by inspecting the head.

I also like how all 3 motors state 91-96 or 91-98... they must be very knowledgable nsx owners

Happy Motoring

yeah.. there is... and there is actualy 3.. one guy has his listed twice for 2 different prices.. both are only 63 bucks in shipping

I like how the valve cover is off one and he has estinated the mileage at 20k by inspecting the head.

I also like how all 3 motors state 91-96 or 91-98... they must be very knowledgable nsx owners

Happy Motoring

well don't ya know about that special 91-98 motor? something like 450whp from factory and had an 8-speed transmission. And only $63 shipping!

Sign me up!:rolleyes:

The same thing happen to my car 2 days ago im looking for a used 3.0 engine too. Rebuilt isnt in my financial situation rght now and my nsx is daily driven. Good thing im less than 1hr from driving ambition but i dont have the funds to fix my baby! :( i miss driving it and everytime i go work i stare at it and gdt depress because its such a nice car to be just sitting there.

Anyways its an 95 t top with 117,500 miles i purchased it 2 months ago at 114k. I barely had it. Also bought it from a prime member out in arizona which i flew to purchase.

This suck!!

I know how you feel, my engine broke down about this time last year, due to crank pulley failure like nsxtasy.

I too went down the used engine route, but I was lucky and found one here in Norway (where there is an extremely small market for NSX parts, so I got it for apx. 1600$)

Did the replacement myself, and its a great feeling to have it back on the road!

I have and heard some serious rod knock before and its not always a lost cause. In my current daily driver, I noticed some rod knock. I went out and bought some ACL bearings and replaced them myself. It took maybe 2 hours and cost me $80 and runs smooth and quite since 2007. You should try to replace the rod bearings first before replacing the motor. It is only a big deal if the crank is scorred and even then, you could just replace the the crank with a balanced SOS one or OEM.

$0.02

Hope it works out!
Jay

So sorry to hear about the engine Mitch. :(

I am interested in knowing if there's some sort of PM for this.

Haha damn well i dropped off my car at driving ambition already and your like 2hr n 45min away from us.

There is currently three blown motors on prime... mitch is the only one who called.

He was also able to save money by using working parts from his motor... and this is the service he recieved from us...

insured frieght comes tomorrow Mitch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpg
    IMG_0813.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 582
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_0818.jpg
    IMG_0818.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0820.jpg
    IMG_0820.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 578
Thank you. I am looking forward to getting my baby back to running like new again.

This thread makes me love the nsx even more, Imagin the same diagnosis with a lambo or F car....yikes

Im sorry i end up bringing my car to driving ambition and i bought a used 3.2L instead of fixing mines. I spend almost 10k including maintenance with tb/wp and engine seals and labor

Well, the motor arrived at the shop Thursday, and I flatbedded my car up to their shop the same day....so the process begins. I miss my car, and cannot wait to have it back.

Well, the motor arrived at the shop Thursday, and I flatbedded my car up to their shop the same day....so the process begins. I miss my car, and cannot wait to have it back.
Mitch, here's to it being back on the road and "AGAN" or "as good as new"!!

Back