• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My cursed nsx ownership....

Well it started off a weird morning. I had the car all detailed and it was raining on and off. I contemplated going up to the Palm Beach C&C. I said fuck it and went. It rained on and off the whole way up. I noticed the suspension acting a little squirrelly too but I95 is literally a plateau of 7 different heights. I was nearing the car show at hwy speeds and it started to rain like hell. At the bottom of an overpass, the car ran over a puddle, hydroplaned and the rear end turn into a tilt a whirl. I spun about 10 plus times through 6 lanes of traffic and a break down lane before having the car stall and meet a guardrail at about 20 mph. Ironically, there were two other cars that met the exact same fate just feet from me. Never made it to the car show but was able to drive home. However, the car isn’t driving well. It’s hunting all over to drive straight. I hope there isn’t frame damage. Last year the motor, this year the crash. I don’t think this car likes me very much...
View attachment 157007
View attachment 157008

I am so sorry to read about this! Glad to see you’re OK, sorry to see your X hurt.

Yikes, from your description of spinning several times, the results could have been worst. Glad you were able to drive home. Think of it this way, now you have a new project. Otherwise, you might get bored. ;)

How new/old are your tires?

Other than the ding, the car looks fantastic. What a great shine, it looks like a mirror.

Thanks for the being safe comments folks. The rear wheel looks ok. I’m not sure if it made contact or not. The tires were Michelin PSS with only 2k miles. They are not good in rain. The rear end broke free so quickly that it was impossible to correct it. So I just took my foot off the gas and let it happen. Luckily the traffic behind me stopped in time.

Sorry to see, I feel you pain.
It looks terrible but from the chassis point of view it safe, no worries about it. I had a crash looking worse caused by an idiot on the parking lot but the chassis and the alignment checked out ok.

I do not dare to mention it and please don't get me wrong but UHP tires really suck in heavy rain mainly due to their limited ability to prevent hydroplaning. You have to drive 10-20 mph slower than with good rain tires with some serious thread left on them. That's the reason I don't drive my car in the rain anymore.

Oh to read this first thing breaks my heart. i have followed your exploits from the beginning and know how much you had invested, monetarily as well as soul. It doesn't look too bad and should be back on the road in no time. But I'm sure you hurt. It could have been so much worse. Ask me how I know.

could have been way worse...so there is a positive.Being on prime for almost 18 years , I have seen many owners who lost it in the rain..mostly in Cali....you get complacent and somewhat numb to changing road condition living in a 2-3 season climate.

Traction Control

AJ,
I had a similar spinout incident but I can't blame the weather! I turned off traction control and came a round a corner literally around! once the back end lets go the perfect center of gravity gives you little chance of recovering in a spin. My car originally needed a quaterpanel, located one taken off by a Vietnamese guy in LA who wanted fancy aftermarket flares (roll eyes). Paid $150 and it was perfect, included the grille as well. If youre patient you can get a deal on one, took me a year to find, glad I waited, also lower rear control arm was bent. couldn't tell by looking at it but the alignment guy said it was, and I had to replace it, apparently they bend easy under impact.
Stephen
So sorry, AJ. Get it fixed, no worries. This is a speed bump in life.

Last edited:
I didn’t know it, but there appears to be a thin later of foam sandwiched between the two sheets of aluminum on the quarter panels. Not sure if that is oem or not. But if you zoom in you can see the tan colored foam.

Damn, sad story Jinks :frown: Get it fixed and put it behind you.

My last 911 had an on-track incident with the right quarter (fixed it), then my wife backed into the left quarter (fixed it), then I hit a big buck at 70 mph which was the final insult. But that got me into the NSX so a happy ending.

I didn’t know it, but there appears to be a thin later of foam sandwiched between the two sheets of aluminum on the quarter panels. Not sure if that is oem or not. But if you zoom in you can see the tan colored foam.
The quarter panel has sound dampening mats on some areas, on the aluminium, not in between. Maybe that's what you've seen.

Back