• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

my exhaust is too loud, suggestions?

I have headers, test pipes and a cat back system of unknown origin. When I went to the test pipes and headers, the decibel level went from normal to way, way too loud. I could put the cats back on, but I plan on using that space in the exhaust for electric cut-outs.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I would like to get a quieter cat-back system, but first I need to identify what I have now. The muffler case seems larger than is typical, and there are four outlets. Does anyone recognize the attached pics?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks

<o:p>http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g395/drmotorheadnsx/</o:p>

could it be the oem canister without the shield and a custon tip arrangement.Are there any signs that the canister was opened and rewelded?Iether way it does not look like any of the popular off the shelf double tip makes.Maybe an anytime custom job?:confused:

I just checked it for welds or anything that could indicate that is was re-built, and there is no sign of that happening. The overall fit is tight enough that is looks like it was made for the car. For such a large muffler, is sure does not do very much muffling!

This is a car I will be driving to the occaisional autocross event. I am going for a little extra power on the track, while being reasonably quiet on the street.

This is a car I will be driving to the occaisional autocross event. I am going for a little extra power on the track, while being reasonably quiet on the street.

try it with the cats on there is no significant hp benefit esp on a na motor.

Thanks for the comments. I could put the cats back on, but I plan on using that space in the exhaust for electric cut-outs. I really just need to figure out what the previous owner put on my car so I can get something more quiet.<O:tongue:

Previous owner was a dealer, so I can't talk to the person that put this system on the car. I drive 100 miles per month or less, so I am not to worried about the pollution.
I need the space that was taken by the cats for the electric cut-outs.
Anyone recognize the brand of cat-back?
Thanks

Why do you need to ID your current setup? Looking at the welds and pipe bends, my guess is that it's a custom job. If your current setup is too loud and you can't put the cats back on then just replace the catback. Sounds like that's your only option.

I was trying to id the system that I have so that I can go to a knowledegble NSX shop(like SOS) and try to buy something that they know is more quiet.
Thanks for looking, no need for any more replies.

How about some quieter options from fellow NSX owners... does anyone have a similar setup with a "quiet(er)" exhaust? I'm sure someone has ran into this issue before.

Dr... Can you maybe post a video with your NSX and the example of how loud it is now?

Bumping this thread.

/Flame suit on

Is there any way to modify my Comptech exhaust to be even more quiet? I know this is one of the most quiet aftermarket exhausts. Or should I just go back to OEM? I'm running Comptech Headers, Prospeed Cats and I''m finding the exhaust to be a bit loud when cruising on the highway :frown:

I don't understand...problem...loud...? :)

Bumping this thread.

/Flame suit on

Is there any way to modify my Comptech exhaust to be even more quiet? I know this is one of the most quiet aftermarket exhausts. Or should I just go back to OEM? I'm running Comptech Headers, Prospeed Cats and I''m finding the exhaust to be a bit loud when cruising on the highway :frown:
why the need for flame suit? what am i missing? seems like a valid question to me.

anyway, you're probably equating excessive drone for 'too loud'? So is it drone (excessive resonance) or volume (decibels) is your problem?

I think it is a combination of both. When I had my engine cover off, the drone was gone but the exhaust is loud in general. Now that I have my engine cover back on, there is a drone and it is still loud.

A few things for you to consider...

* Comptech isn't the quietest exhaust out there. I believe the HKS, DC, and a handful of others are more quiet. Comptech to me is somewhere in the middle.
* The headers are a major contributor to he increase in noise. Try NA2 headers.
* The HF cats aren't helping you either but will still be relatively quiet if you tried NA2 headers.
* If you want to keep your current setup then perhaps a 1/4 resonator can help you. The problem is.. with your setup there's not much real estate under there for a long 2-3ft tube which you'll probably need 2 of them with that exhaust layout.

You can PM me if you want more ideas.

You can add a pair of resonators, or you can re-pack your comtech muffler.

Henry.

Bumping this thread.

/Flame suit on

just an opinion,
i have headers, cats and ark-dtx. although originally i thought it was too loud in 'vtec' rev range now i condider it ok for a daily driver but would definitely not go with anything louder.

Comptech is pretty quiet, when it hasn't blown out its packing.
My the Comptech exhaust I had was 1 notch louder than the stock muffler. You basically couldn't hear it, which is the reason why I got rid of it, since I didn't see any other benefit to it.

I've heard that the earlier Comptechs (maybe even the new ones too, not sure) had issues with the sound deadening material or baffle blowing out over time, making them much, much louder. I never experienced that in the short time I owned mine.

Last edited:
Back