• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My new DD... 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track

I created a thread while back... I was looking for a new DD.

My first car was an Acura RSX... second the NSX. I wanted another Honda (Specifically the Civic SI) however the current line of Acuras and Honda were really bland and to be honest, nothing else out there impressed me either.

I was looking at EVO, STI, MS3... and even the 2012 Ford Focus Hatch. Test drove them all and each had their issues that I couldn't get over.

Ended up stopping by the Hyundai dealership with no real objective in mind.

Looked at 2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track with 8 miles on it. To my surprise the vehicle was incredible and the price was even more incredible. But could I get over the fact that it was a Hyundai?

It took me a couple weeks but yes I got over it and since then I have not looked back. I have had this vehicle for 3 months and put about 3000 miles on it. The value is outrageous. It is well built and well equipped.

With their 10 year warranty and trade-in value assurance where they guarantee you a certain amount of money when you bring it in for another Hyundai/Kia. I am certain I made the right decision.

The Koreans have stepped it up big time while the Japanese are taking a step back.

In the last few months at least 3 of us are going Korean. (Optima... Equus... Genesis) and I only see that number increasing.

GEN3.JPG

GEN4.JPG

GEN6.JPG

I've changed the front grill, added spacers all around (not in pictures), upgraded the speakers, and put in a JBL MS-8 DSP. I couldn't be happier.

motorweek on the speed channel recently featured this car,they liked it.At Roebling road it was not as stable as say an m3 but heck the specs look great at this price point.How are the brakes?

motorweek on the speed channel recently featured this car,they liked it.At Roebling road it was not as stable as say an m3 but heck the specs look great at this price point.How are the brakes?

The factory Brembo brakes are awesome.

Handles extremely well... feels extremely stable. Might have something to do with it's factory strut tower braces?

One thing I did notice though was it is a boat compared to the NSX. Having them side by side is really funny.

Hopefully you will have better luck with yours than we did with ours. .
Bought ours used in August of 2010 with ~7k miles. We proceeded to put ~10k miles on it and finally convinced Hyundai to buy it back as a lemon in May of 2011. I was stupid and didn't do my research into THIS particular car and it turned into a nightmare. It was in shop 13 times during it's lifetime for the same problem and nobody would/could fix it.
As a close friend so kindly pointed out to me one day....that 'H' on the grille such doesn't stand for Honda does it............he was so right.:frown:
We had a '10 Track 3.8L 6sp w/brembo, no navi.

Hopefully you will have better luck with yours than we did with ours. .
Bought ours used in August of 2010 with ~7k miles. We proceeded to put ~10k miles on it and finally convinced Hyundai to buy it back as a lemon in May of 2011. I was stupid and didn't do my research into THIS particular car and it turned into a nightmare. It was in shop 13 times during it's lifetime for the same problem and nobody would/could fix it.
As a close friend so kindly pointed out to me one day....that 'H' on the grille such doesn't stand for Honda does it............he was so right.:frown:
We had a '10 Track 3.8L 6sp w/brembo, no navi.

Transmission?

A guy showed up at the track with one of these, a SPEC-R edition. Over 300HP NA, very nice seats and interior. He paid $25K new and drove it off the lot. He liked it on the track but commented that the wheels were too big (looked like 19's or 20's). 5 year B-to-B warranty, so he wasn't too worried about issues. Fit and finish looked good to me. He looked at the Mustang but the quality just wasn't there.

We're a Honda family, but no more.

Honda has nothing that can compete against the new Hyundai / Kia's. It's very very sad.

I wanted smart key entry, panoramic sun roof, good styling. Honda has none of these on the Accord / Civic lines. The Acura TL was kind of goofy looking, and is a lot more.

Honda has retarded designers intentionally trying to put out the worst looking crap I've seen. The Accord just doesn't look good any more, and the Civic is nothing to get excited about. I saw an Odyssey at the gym...the thing looks like it was chopped up and then put back together from 3 different cars, just about puked when I saw it. WTF is Honda doing with its stupid ass designs?

Didn't even look at Toyotas - just not a Toyota person.

Hyundai / Kia's has put everyone else on notice.

Since we got our Optima, I see more and more every day. Just saw 3 today.

Last edited:
The Hyundai Veloster is just a ridiculous looking car ( in a good way). I mean how is Honda and Toyota going to compete with this?

2012_hyundai_veloster_actf34_fd_121112_717.jpg

Hyundai%20Velostar%20rear.JPG

OP - Really interesting to read your comments. I'm in search for a new DD but in no particular rush. I thought about everything from a Prius to an M5. At the end of the day i'll settle for something in the middle and the Genesis Coupe is now on the list.

I do have some good friends in the industry and they tell me that on paper the GC is a great buy (cheap, good value, warranty, decent styling, etc..) but it's still missing that bit of pedigree and driver engagement. I haven't driven one yet but they tell me it's got a bit of a hollow feeling and disconnectedness that only comes with many many years of genetic improvements. It's like how the Japanese have been chasing the feel of a BMW for decades the Koreans are just way farther back.

Your thoughts? I'm actually rather eager to drive one but one cannot really get a good sense of how the car feels on a random dealer test drive...

"Pedigree and driver engagement" is entirely subjective so I'm not sure how to comment on that. But I can tell you if those two are qualifying elements that you are looking for in your next car, you're maybe better off with some other manufacturer.

When I want pedigree and driver engagement... I drive the NSX.

I can give you my impressions based on my experience.

I came from a Mini Cooper S as a daily driver. It was a company vehicle so I beat on it a lot. Shifting without the clutch, practicing my heel toe, and taking turns at way higher speed than I should. Doing the same shenanigan in the GC makes me feel secure. The car as big as it is felt more planted than the Mini. It felt different... in a good way.

My favorite part of the car is the interior. I have never owned a premium vehicle and let me tell you I couldn't believe what 28k got me.

I'm sold. If my experience continues to be a good experience over the next few years. My next vehicle may very well be Korean again. My girlfriend frequently rides as a passenger with me and she is also sold. She wants the Veloster really badly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6i-QqjLLjO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back