• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My *New* Factor X FX-400 test drive

Vega$ NSX said:
Ok here's the latest update in my FX400 saga. The bad news is that it's not ready yet (we are about a week behind schedule). :frown: Everything is looking really good though and for the most part the entire system is installed. They are just putting some final touches on it before we do some tuning and dyno pulls. The really cool thing is with all the piping coated in flat black, you can barely see any of the turbo at all. If it wasn't on a lift, you'd be hard pressed to see any indication of a turbo system. :biggrin:

Okay neighbor. I know you have your car. Perhaps I'm hearing things but I swear I heard your car spitting (BOV noise) around Summerlin all night. And what's with that donut mark all around Town Center circle? For all of us droolers out there, lets have it......... Ha....... We're waiting........ :eek:

Factor X Motorsports said:
Don't be sad, just send a set of headers and a kit can be made:) Or if you have patience wait about a month and buy the FX500 turbo system that is on our Touge NSX. It will be up for sale soon.
Will there be a production FX400 kit or is it allready out? Any price info?

Well here's the latest good news and bad news.

I don't have my car yet, we're falling way behind schedule. Had a minor set back that is going to take a few more days, but nothing major. Basically we are just upgrading some parts that we thought may be suspect but we wanted to be more safe than sorry.

The good news and the reason we are doing all this is because Mikey did over 30 dyno pulls and the numbers were off the chart!! :eek: The power, but more importantly the torque, were nuts!! The torque numbers were much, much higher than any other FI system I've seen and the results even surpised Mikey. I really wish I could post one of the runs, but I promised to keep hush hush for now. But needless to say the dyno runs were extremely impressive and I'm really pleased with how it's progressing.

I'm hoping that we'll be finishing up maybe a week or so, but I've told Mikey to take his time to make sure everything is just right.

Last edited:
hoops7k said:
Will there be a production FX400 kit or is it allready out? Any price info?

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty sure it won't be a "kit" As in a pre-made set for sale and installed by others. I think the install and tuning really needs to be done by Factor X themselves. I think its mostly because they will stand behind their product and if anything goes wrong they will take sole responsibility. If they sold it as a kit and something went wrong, it would be hard to say where the problem originated from.

But, having said that, I think it will be available as a "product" sometime soon. I think they have a few private FX 400 and FX 500 installs for the next few months. Afterwards, it my be available to the public.

But all of this is speculation and I can't say for sure. Just my impressions and thoughts; I could be wrong so don't take my word for it.

I was really surprised at the results also! With this new turbo/cooler set-up at about 8.5psi it was making 420-430rwhp and 350-370ft/lbs. I spoke with Mikey about the schedule and the delay was mostly due in part that the system was built on our car with a different set of headers thus affecting the tuning and increase in torque:) So they had to be cut and re-fit. Going forward, Mikey will take in the headers that will be used prior to the commencement of fabrication. Also, our powder-coater decided to go on vacation for a bit so that is throwing things off. At least this gives Mikey time to address the issues that were previously discussed before taking this plunge.

I don’t believe Mikey has any intention of making this a “turbo kit” for shipment. Each system is built according to the individuals specific needs. Target hp/tq, spool characteristics, usage, and type of venues play a large role in the development plan of each system. However, if a set of headers are provided and after an initial consultation there is a possibility it could be produced and sent out.

As Vegas mentioned, Mikey wants to be in control of the build and install. In the past we have sent out motors that were mis-installed and had our turbo systems modified with negative results. From there the finger pointing began and got really old going back and forth. Admittedly, we have made mistakes in the past and stood by our word to correct them. As much as we would like to believe, not all NSX owners are ethical individuals.

That being said, it is good to see other tuners adopting the NSX to the FI world. We have been preaching for years that a properly boosted NSX is tough to beat. We’ve been producing this system for the past 4 years, logged tens of thousands of miles and have done hundreds of dyno pulls trying to squeeze the most power/reliability out of her we can. So far we are pretty happy with our accomplishments.

FX400 430rwhp/370ftlbs
FX500 570rwhp/470ftlbs
FXTT 813rwhp/670ftlbs

10.68@138mph
Quarter Finalist in NHRA
Finals in Best Motoring American Touge 2
Top 5 finish in Super Street Time Attack Qualifier
Numerous Magazine appearances and Strip Club appearances thereafter
Invitation to represent the US NSX Tuner v. Japan NSX Tuner shootout

So is "our powder coater decided to take a vacation" another way of saying "we spent three days at Seamless"??? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

FX400 430rwhp/370ftlbs
FX500 570rwhp/470ftlbs
FXTT 813rwhp/670ftlbs

Can someone explain, or point me to a thread that breaks down in detail the differences in the various kits? I'm looking for info such as cams and idle (what kind of lift and duration are we talking about), engine Mgmt., single turbo, twin turbo, where do the various kits spool relative to the powerband, etc. I'm fairly new to the NSX, but I'm in the process of putting together a few different project scenarios. Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

-Paul

pauly1 said:
Can someone explain, or point me to a thread that breaks down in detail the differences in the various kits? I'm looking for info such as cams and idle (what kind of lift and duration are we talking about), engine Mgmt., single turbo, twin turbo, where do the various kits spool relative to the powerband, etc. I'm fairly new to the NSX, but I'm in the process of putting together a few different project scenarios. Thanks for any info you guys can give me.

-Paul

I would second that.

In the absence of a formal web presence, I also haven't ever noted anyone else at FX detail a thread lately on each of their current engine offerings / services/schedules, pros/cons, ecu's, general drivability compromises, CRM service issues, turn-around time, pricing, reliability data, etc..

Most of the information comes in second hand from locals in the area or from event results and seems to just come in quantified with 1/4 miles times or dyno charts. Understandable as I would think they are a smaller outfit.

I recall a thread awhile back whereas Mike mentioned personally going through good $$ and time in engines, clutches, trannys, and other components doing drag racing & general R&D which I realize is popular down there in the Las Vegas area. Also a few threads from customers on engine rebuilds and tweaks.. all which makes me most curious about the general reliability behind their various FI offerings given frequent street & road course usage, and general customer experiences for those whom shelled out the 10-25 grand for custom NSX engine building services over the past few years. From what I've read and members I've spoken to- it sounds as if you need about three/four or so FX500's to achieve normal 150K mile reliability on a street/track application entirely disincluding everything else non-withstanding.

The new work being done on a 9K RPM Turbo FX500 for road course use may be compelling and could be of broader community interest particularly coupled with a sequential tranny option for mere twice the price. Perhaps Mike can chime in then with his various offerings and thoughts.

Pricing would be fantastic but I dont think this is an off the shelf kit, its tailored to the customer needs. I aslo wonder being in NJ and Factor X in Vegas what happens if something goes boom?

Id consider another NSX with a Factor X turbo or maybe keep it stock but id like to know more. :wink:

John@Microsoft said:
I would second that.

In the absence of a formal web presence, I also haven't ever noted anyone else at FX detail a thread lately on each of their current engine offerings / services/schedules, pros/cons, ecu's, general drivability compromises, CRM service issues, turn-around time, pricing, reliability data, etc..

Most of the information comes in second hand from locals in the area or from event results and seems to just come in quantified with 1/4 miles times or dyno charts. Understandable as I would think they are a smaller outfit.

I recall a thread awhile back whereas Mike mentioned personally going through good $$ and time in engines, clutches, trannys, and other components doing drag racing & general R&D which I realize is popular down there in the Las Vegas area. Also a few threads from customers on engine rebuilds and tweaks.. all which makes me most curious about the general reliability behind their various FI offerings given frequent street & road course usage, and general customer experiences for those whom shelled out the 10-25 grand for custom NSX engine building services over the past few years. From what I've read and members I've spoken to- it sounds as if you need about three/four or so FX500's to achieve normal 150K mile reliability on a street/track application entirely disincluding everything else non-withstanding.

The new work being done on a 9K RPM Turbo FX500 for road course use may be compelling and could be of broader community interest particularly coupled with a sequential tranny option for mere twice the price. Perhaps Mike can chime in then with his various offerings and thoughts.

Many of these issues and details you bring up in our opinion are better answered via a phone call and conversation. Primarily as we prefer not to post everything we have done and do on a public board. In addition, since the re-organization we are only taking in a few cars a month to work on. Our attention to detail, organization, follow up, and overall performance has improved dramatically from that of the past two years.

The amount of time and money spent on the FX500 system has been quite substantial, especially once we started making bigger numbers. It is truly a labor of love and our competitive spirit that drives us. It also helps that we are die hard NSX enthusiasts:smile: We initially ran quite a bit of quarter mile times to back up the power we were making as many individuals / competitors questioned the validity of the dyno sheets. An ancillary benefit was we love drag racing:biggrin: In fact during that time we did everything we could to bring out the other FI owners that expressed these doubts, when the time came to put up no one showed up.

In our eyes the reliability of the system is not in question as long as it is properly cared for. We have logged tens of thousands of miles on a single FX500 system that was created over two years ago both on and off the strip, street, road course, and unfortunately desert trails…

Higher output engines (600+hp) require different clearances and specifications therefore asking it to go 150k miles is ridiculous, we are asking components to withstand forces two to three times the amount it was designed to do. If someone wants 150k miles of reliability stick with an OEM engine. However, if a client wishes to spend the money in the right places in the engine build they should have a bullet proof engine that will last for quite sometime. This is of course is dependent upon the goals of the individual and their ability to stay within those parameters. In addition, it depends on the quality of the aftermarket parts used. A few years back we once believed we could reliably produce x amount of power on an FX500 without making changes to some of the components. The result was that of a lost motor, which we took care of no questions asked.

Inevitably, as word got out, rumors circulated, and opinions were formed. Some were accurate, others we blown out of proportion or created just out of spite. Therefore, the decision was made to enter some third party publicly announced road course events to further prove the durability of the system. The goal was not to create a “race car” for these events, but instead a street car that has the ability to be participate competitively on the road course. The results have been quite promising thus far. We participated in the Best Motoring American Touge 2 shootout (www.bestmotoringvideo.com) and ended up as a finalist. We then ran a few other road racing events, with the latest being the Super Street Time Attack Qualifier (http://www.superstreetonline.com/eventcoverage/130_0605_time_attack_qualifying_round_one/index.html) in which we qualified in the top 4 in 97 degree heat!(Thanks Trevor) The highlight of the event being to the disbelief of some other NSX owners swapping on a set of street tires and driving the FX500 NSX back in 90+ degree heat for 300+ miles. After that event we performed a leak down test and was happy to see we were still within 2 percent of the original leak down. Also, due to the success of the American Touge 2 shootout we recently have been selected to battle it out with Japan’s best NSX tuners.

The bottom line is, when you are looking to make in excess of 500rwhp you are essentially purchasing a “race motor”. Most aftermarket performance engine builders offer little to no warranty on the motors as they are being specifically built for performance. The quality control of the aftermarket parts are not always that of OEM thus some parts failures occur even though we may have done everything needed to support the power. There are way too many variables that come into play to offer something that you would get from an Acura dealership. Our policy is to offer a limited warranty that covers any damages that occur to the engine from improper engine assembly.

The new motor mentioned, is what we consider a full race motor and will be installed in our FX500 for testing in the near future. This engine will probably require a tear down every two seasons and may only be of interest to those dedicated track guys. Other engine packages are available to those daily guys, with a plethora of options.

Here’s an idea to further prove the reliability, I would be willing to drive the same FX500 NSX that we have been running, from Las Vegas to Miami if someone could map out a strip club and hotel with a good happy hour every 500 miles along the way, pay for the entertainment and take care of our fuel:)

The Kid said:
Pricing would be fantastic but I dont think this is an off the shelf kit, its tailored to the customer needs. I aslo wonder being in NJ and Factor X in Vegas what happens if something goes boom?

Id consider another NSX with a Factor X turbo or maybe keep it stock but id like to know more. :wink:

Give us a ring to talk about what you need. If something goes boom, the cause would need to be determined and we would go from there. Just tell us you do not want more than 500rwhp and everything will be just fine:) In the meanwhile go ahead and shop around and gather information. We absolutely love competition!

I just wanted to keep you updated for anyone following my turbo install saga. There has been a few delays in the FX400 install. The first issue is when we lifted the head gasket. Mikey warned me from the beginning that this would be a "weak point" in the engine as the stock '91 gasket really can't hold that kind of pressure. Not a major issue as a quick call to SOS and problem solved.

The next delay came in the form of a photo shoot for Factor X and my background cameo. As you can see in this thread and the picture below, I got to piggyback on Alan's fame.
12272Turbo3a-med.jpg

The latest delay was that after running a few test runs we realized that we were getting surprising high amount of power and torque for the boost levels we were putting in. What can I say, my car was thirsty for some boost! :tongue: I had just replaced my stock clutch about a year prior and wanted to keep it, but alas, the power and torque was just way too much. So another call to SOS for an RPS clutch and engine drop was in order. But since I was dropping the engine again, Mikey convinced me I might as well re-sleeve the engine and go with forged pistons. This would give me another level of safety and basically turn my car into an FX500 as we could dial up to 500 whp now having covered most of the "weak points" (clutch, pistons, head gasket etc.)

So that's where I'm at right now. The good news is that tentatively we hope to be done in about a week. Which means if the NSX gods are smiling down on my, this time next week, I'll be laying about 450 hp to the hot Vegas pavement. Which I hope so because this time without my NSX has been some of the hardest weeks I've had to endure in a long time. It's amazing what a endorphin releasing, stress relieving rush driving NSX has been for me.

Semnos_NSX said:
If the motor is now "built", why are you hoping for 450 HP and not 500+ hp? Just curious.

For my own "safety" reasons. :smile: I need to acclimate to the higher power output and turbo kick. On a few practice runs I got the rear end really sloppy on just straight runs. Also, I plan on upgrading the brakes before I put too much power out.

Vega$ NSX said:
For my own "safety" reasons. :smile: I need to acclimate to the higher power output and turbo kick. On a few practice runs I got the rear end really sloppy on just straight runs. Also, I plan on upgrading the brakes before I put too much power out.

After my recent ride in a 450+hp TC NSX, I consider you a wise man!

Esprit1 said:
Okay neighbor. I know you have your car. Perhaps I'm hearing things but I swear I heard your car spitting (BOV noise) around Summerlin all night. And what's with that donut mark all around Town Center circle? For all of us droolers out there, lets have it......... Ha....... We're waiting........ :eek:

Heh, you're next. I just left Factor X and saw your car up and running. Man it sounds insane! At higher RPMs it's like an F1 car. You must be drooling... I know the feeling! :biggrin:

Can't wait till you get it. We can have dueling turbos spitting at each other all over Summerlin!

Vega$ NSX said:
I plan on upgrading the brakes before I put too much power out.

I'm glad you have your priorities straight. As said above, wise man. I'm pretty sure anything over 400whp will be plenty enough for enjoyment. Any higher, and it's mostly just to have the king of the hill factor. :smile:

FrEsHaZzBuRu said:
I'm glad you have your priorities straight. As said above, wise man. I'm pretty sure anything over 400whp will be plenty enough for enjoyment. Any higher, and it's mostly just to have the king of the hill factor. :smile:

Yeah now that I've have my car for about a week and a half and have had the chance to really run it hard, I realize that stock NSX brakes are made of marshmallows (or at least feels like it.) :biggrin:

Boosting is really a learning experience. I learned that when you up the power, you really open up a can of worms of other things you need to upgrade as well. Right now I'm learning that the brakes and tires just can't handle more than 400 whp so raising the boost any more would be pointless. When I go wide body and I can stick some 315 wide tires in the back, then I'll actually consider boosting up to 500 whp or so.

This may be a dumb question, and I apologize for hijacking here, but I keep seeing that when going FI, the brakes need to be upgraded. Why is that? I can only imagine it would matter at the upper limits on a track, when you might enter a turn at 100 instead of 80 before. Just curious...:redface:

I hope it's not a dumb question as I asked the same thing before getting boosted! :smile: I was like, what does brakes have to do with getting FI?

The answer is probably what you've already suspected: You need the ability to slow down faster, the faster you go. That probably sounds stupid, but you'll see it instantly the second you drive one. And not just for the track, but for the street too.

The best explaination I can give is: If you floor the pedal, it probably takes about 5 seconds or so to get to 60 mph in a regular NSX. In a boosted NSX, imagine going 100 mph in the same 5 seconds. For the same amount of time, you'll be going much, much faster and covering a lot more distance. Therefore your braking and reaction time must be a lot faster. I know driving around town, there are roads where there may be a blind corner where there may be a stop light around the bend. I knew I could gun it and have enough time to brake comfortably just in case the light was red. Now I'm much more cautious because with the crappy stock brake setup, I'll have too much speed built up for me to brake safely. I actually drive slower in general as a result (odd, I know). Now, it would make sense that I should just enter a corner at the same speed as when I was non-boosted, but the car's speed builds soooo quickly, it's easy to not realize how fast you are going. The car literally eats up the speedo in 10 mph chunks. I'll have to film my tach/speedo someday to show you what I mean.

It would seem to me that the brakes can only slow you as fast as the ABS allows, that being said the only difference in braking "speed" is the time difference at which each brake can achieve ABS activation, beyond that it is up to the tires. Heat dissipation and fade are another story....

Last edited:
Vega$ NSX said:
I hope it's not a dumb question as I asked the same thing before getting boosted! :smile: I was like, what does brakes have to do with getting FI?

The answer is probably what you've already suspected: You need the ability to slow down faster, the faster you go. That probably sounds stupid, but you'll see it instantly the second you drive one. And not just for the track, but for the street too.

The best explaination I can give is: If you floor the pedal, it probably takes about 5 seconds or so to get to 60 mph in a regular NSX. In a boosted NSX, imagine going 100 mph in the same 5 seconds. For the same amount of time, you'll be going much, much faster and covering a lot more distance. Therefore your braking and reaction time must be a lot faster. I know driving around town, there are roads where there may be a blind corner where there may be a stop light around the bend. I knew I could gun it and have enough time to brake comfortably just in case the light was red. Now I'm much more cautious because with the crappy stock brake setup, I'll have too much speed built up for me to brake safely. I actually drive slower in general as a result (odd, I know). Now, it would make sense that I should just enter a corner at the same speed as when I was non-boosted, but the car's speed builds soooo quickly, it's easy to not realize how fast you are going. The car literally eats up the speedo in 10 mph chunks. I'll have to film my tach/speedo someday to show you what I mean.

Gotcha, thanks for the detailed response. Not the one I wanted to hear, though :frown: . No wonder they call it a crackpipe. Congrats on getting yours powered up though, must be nice! :wink:

Re: My *New* Factor X FX-500

Vega$ NSX said:
Heh, you're next. I just left Factor X and saw your car up and running. Man it sounds insane! At higher RPMs it's like an F1 car. You must be drooling... I know the feeling! :biggrin:

Can't wait till you get it. We can have dueling turbos spitting at each other all over Summerlin!

I'm back. Just drove straight from the airport to Factor X and learn that you got your FX-500. (I think you need to change the subject Title) Congratulations........... We need to get together next week and do some serious spitting together. Make sure you put on your rain tyre......... :biggrin:

Mikey let me rev. my car a few times today. Yes it does sound surprisingly like an F1 car. WOW......... If it goes as bad as it sound, I'll need to find me a better fun car. The Esprit will have to take duty as rain car........:tongue:

Vega$Nsx,

I've been interested in the FX400 for quite awhile now, but yet it seems nobody ever ends up with it. Instead, they end up paying for a FX500. Percentage wise, how much more have you ended up spending than you thought you would when you dropped off the car. 25% (LOL), 50% (you should be so lucky), 100% (more like it), 150% (yeh, but this includes the brakes and the clutch, etc.). Should I take the plunge, I'd like a realistic picture and I know that as honest as Factor X may be, they (as any company) are biased in that they are selling a product.

Sleeper

Back