• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My *New* Factor X FX-400 test drive

So I happened by the Factor X shop the other day (which I often do) to see what's new, but mostly to see if I can drool over what ever project they are working on. The last time I was there I got to ride in the absolutely silly Touge NSX (it's the silver one, that I think was in a magazine write up recently).

This time around Mikey had the "new" FX400 set up and ready to go. It was a single turbo with an air-to-air intercooler. Very clean and nice setup. From a visual inspection standpoint, you could barely see any indication of FI. The engine cover still fit, the intercooler was tucked way in and the turbo was put in a very ingenious location (that I promised not to reveal) where you could never see it (though you could hear it). It looked really clean.

So lucky me, Mikey offers to let me give it a test drive. I told him I'd think about it and get back to him. YEAH RIGHT! I had one foot in the door before he finished his sentence. It was a black/ivory, just like mine, with the same size Bridgestone S0-3's just like mine. I felt at home and really comfortable, except for the unbelievably grabby clutch (let's see 14 stalls, I owe you $14?).

As for the drive, all I can say is "wow"! Factor X has a real winner on their hands. Just cruising around the car is very streetable. If you don't let the turbo spool up the car sounds and drives very near a regular NSX (with H/I/E). It felt similar to my NSX. But as soon as you hit the accelerator just a tad bit more, the car suddenly comes alive! The turbo spools up really (I mean REALLY) quickly. I could feel boost coming on at about 2600 RPMS and I was easily at full boost at 3500 RPMS. Once the boost kicks in, it screams all the way to 8000 RPMS and I couldn't detect much drop off at all.

As for the power... incredible. As with any turbo'd car, when the turbo kicks in it hits with the force of a rocket. I've driven a tuned CTSC NSX and this by far has a lot more pull. The CTSC was more gradual, but didn't provide the same level of kick. In fact, I never got to hammer the throttle because the rear wheels broke loose very easily under the surge of power. I was in 3rd going about 40 when I half-throttled it and the rear end started slipping away from me. And these were with 275 width Bridgestone Potenza S0-3s, some decent tires.

We measured 8.6 lbs of boost and Mikey said that it was good for about 420 whp which it certainly felt. On Friday Mike will be taking it out a the speedway at 12 lbs of boost to see what sort of 1/4 mile times it will put up. He's guessing 560 whp and high 11's. That's the thing that is so cool about it; Mikey said he's basing it at about 400-420 whp but if you ever get the bug, you can always boost it up to 550+ very easily. After having the tail wander on me at 420, I'm not sure I'd ever want to go higher, but having that option there would be nice.

Wow, what an experience. I was instantly sold and told Mikey to put my name first on the list when this thing comes to market, which he said will be "soon" (what ever that means, it surely isn't soon enough for me :smile: ). Also, I have no idea what the price will be. I'm guessing like with most FI options it will be north of $10K, but I'll keep pestering Mikey for a quote one of these days. It did have a really loud blow off valve (like a shaken up beer can opened 1 inch from your ear). Some people love it, it sounded great, but I would get very tired of it quickly. Mikey said he could quiet it if I wanted, which would be good because it would be an invitation to drag at every light. I think he'll be joining us on the Las Vegas meet April 8th so if you want to check it out for yourself, be sure to show up.

does a turbo nsx have to change out the spark plug every 5k miles ? vs a supercharge nsx don't got to do it untill 20k miles ? or plus.. I don't know so i'm asking.. also is there more maintenance issuse with turbo ? because power wise turbo is way better then supercharge, why is there so much more supercharge nsx vs turbo one's

420rwhp on stock internals... hmmm...

Is this a 3.0 or a 3.2?

Turbo power is certainly nice, but it sure does stress the motor a lot more than the SC. Figure at 3500RPM I am at maybe 3lbs of boost. Not too hard on the motor.

NetViper said:
Is this a 3.0 or a 3.2?

I believe it is a 3.0, based on the description of the car as black/ivory above.

brandonson said:
Cool write up !! My car will be boosted with a hairdryer in a week or so......can't wait !

you sick puppy, I need to hear all about it.

ecu...

Any EMS on the FX400 test-drive?

I wonder w/ 420whp @ 8.6psi, 6spd. transmission, 2850lbs., and some aero' stuff (spoilers/undertrays/diffusers ala' Procar & Downforce)... possible to break 200mph at super-speedway oval? [boost @ 8.6 producing 420rwhp would be quite easy to be livable w/... :tongue: ]

Sounds like a hella'fun NSX... :cool:

Vega$ NSX said:
So But as soon as you hit the accelerator just a tad bit more, the car suddenly comes alive! The turbo spools up really (I mean REALLY) quickly. I could feel boost coming on at about 2600 RPMS and I was easily at full boost at 3500 RPMS. Once the boost kicks in, it screams all the way to 8000 RPMS and I couldn't detect much drop off at all.
We measured 8.6 lbs of boost and Mikey said that it was good for about 420 whp which it certainly felt. .

Wow...

hot108c4.gif
I want one !!!! heart.gif

I'll keep you posted on what Mikey does with the 1/4 miles and let you know what he pulls. I don't know much details on the internals. I do know he had an Exeedy clutch, DC headers and the rest of the exhaust system was custom fabricated (which he said comes with the kit!). It also had a custom intake (also included with the kit) using Uni or K&N filter (I'm not sure which). The car was a '91 with 3.0 engine. At the time I was driving, the car was using an AEM management system but Mikey prefers the F-con so I'm sure it will probably be switched out very soon.

One thing I forgot to mention was how different the Touge NSX (the silver one I rode in before) was compared to the FX 400. I'm not sure but I think the one in the Touge NSX has the FX 500 turbo. It is also a single turbo setup, but I believe it used a bigger turbo and a water-to-air intercooler (I think). I think it ultimately has more power, but that one didn't seem to spool up to full boost until at least about 4400 RPM. Interesting to see the different characteristics of different types of turbos.

Brandonson, I'll try to find out which turbo he's using (if he'll tell me). Good luck with your turbo setup! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it. I know I did! :biggrin: After now have driven both kinds of FI, I'm sold on the turbo setup.

Incidentally, Mikey said it should be very soon, at least for me! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Quarter mile trap speeds with that kind of power from the turbo should be anywhere from 120-125 MPH depending on a lot of variables (altitude, temparature etc)

brandonson said:
Quarter mile trap speeds with that kind of power from the turbo should be anywhere from 120-125 MPH depending on a lot of variables (altitude, temparature etc)

With 550rwhp maybe. No way 420 is that fast.

Last edited:
Good to hear you enjoyed the experience:smile: Once you go boost it is very hard to go any other way. Mikey did a great job on this system. This system was specifically built for my brother’s NSX after he had a complaint with his FX500. That complaint being way too much power especially on the top end. As you accurately describe, this new set-up spools up faster than our FX500 and carries a good power band. The overall design idea behind this build was to have excellent low-mid range power and good top end. It is truly a balancing act when choosing your compressor, piping diameters, and transitions. Thankfully, we have the minds of Jon K and Tod K to help us. As far as its aesthetics we wanted the system to be as stealth as possible. To the untrained eye it is very difficult to see the car is boosted. Even the stock airbox is retained. Performance wise, it should be in the range of 380-420 with quite a bit of torque. Still well below the numbers we previously produced on a stock bottom end C30. High 11’s with traps in the 117-120 range seem attainable. However, with a built engine and more boost 500+rwhp should not be a problem. There is a bit more maintenance (inspecting air filter, checking oil, gauges,etc) but in my opinion its well worth it. EMS wise I believe Mikey is only going to use the HKS F-Con Vpro.

P.S. If you enjoyed those two FX turbo NSXs wait till you go for a ride in our latest iteration of the FX500 NSX. It is really shaping up into something special. Hopefully our fabricator will have her ready soon so we can start the build! After getting beat down by that Skyline in the American Touge 2 we are pulling out all the stops on this one. We are trying to keep her a true street car but it is getting harder and harder.

NetViper said:
With 550rwhp maybe. No way 420 is fast.

Well I know of someone that is running 5 PSI (custom kit) and he trapped @ 122 MPH on street tires. If a Comptech SC car can trap in the 115 range there is NO REASON why a turbo car couldn't trap @ 120 MPH + with a little more HP and a LOT more torque.

I happened to make it out to Vegas and to Factor X last week as well. Got a chance to drive the new FX400 also, so I know what you mean about the stalls. :tongue: Note: I still hate the Exedy. But anyway, I've gotta say, this set up is PERFECT for an in the city daily driver. The power really comes on early and is strong all the way through. A good indication of great torque. Having sat in the FX500 before, I actually prefer this kit. Why? The numbers aren't so eye-opening, but I'm not keen on giving myself a license to commit speedicide. Those who track the car might want more, but the 380-420 hp range was enough to satisfy my need for speed. I think anyone who desires some more grunt out of the car, the ability to really surprise some people, without sacrificing the everyday livability of this car, will find this is just what they're looking for.

Darkcyd said:
I happened to make it out to Vegas and to Factor X last week as well. Got a chance to drive the new FX400 also, so I know what you mean about the stalls. :tongue: Note: I still hate the Exedy. But anyway, I've gotta say, this set up is PERFECT for an in the city daily driver. The power really comes on early and is strong all the way through. A good indication of great torque. Having sat in the FX500 before, I actually prefer this kit. Why? The numbers aren't so eye-opening, but I'm not keen on giving myself a license to commit speedicide. Those who track the car might want more, but the 380-420 hp range was enough to satisfy my need for speed. I think anyone who desires some more grunt out of the car, the ability to really surprise some people, without sacrificing the everyday livability of this car, will find this is just what they're looking for.

You prefer this over the FX500??? You must still be drunk:biggrin: 550rwhp is much more fun than 400rwhp. Man up and take your medicine:tongue: The new FX500 we are building is going to be more road course friendly, it should drive very similar to the one you drove but with the ability to spin her to 9krpms and power gradually tapering near the top. Btw, Mikey put her on the dyno last night. They couldn’t get a good tach lead so the numbers were not conclusive. The curve however was very meaty all the way till 8krpms. It did show higher torque numbers than hp numbers, which doesnt seem correct so, we will have to try again when time permits. Mikey is probably taking her to the hill today so maybe we will see what it traps in the 7/10. The FX500 did over 182mph and the NA NSX did 142mph so it should land somewhere in the middle.

Factor X Motorsports said:
You prefer this over the FX500??? You must still be drunk:biggrin: 550rwhp is much more fun than 400rwhp. Man up and take your medicine:tongue: The new FX500 we are building is going to be more road course friendly, it should drive very similar to the one you drove but with the ability to spin her to 9krpms and power gradually tapering near the top. Btw, Mikey put her on the dyno last night. They couldn’t get a good tach lead so the numbers were not conclusive. The curve however was very meaty all the way till 8krpms. It did show higher torque numbers than hp numbers, which doesnt seem correct so, we will have to try again when time permits. Mikey is probably taking her to the hill today so maybe we will see what it traps in the 7/10. The FX500 did over 182mph and the NA NSX did 142mph so it should land somewhere in the middle.

All this talk is DaNgeRouS ... I may have to get a ticket to Vegas to check these babies out .... Sound absolutely AmaZinG !! Would you let a girl test-drive them ? :biggrin: :wink:

Well they did a test run at the hill following a new C6 ZO6 and a modified C5 Z06. The FX400 was set at 12psi running on S03s. Instead of starting in 2nd Mikey rolled into it in 3rd gear at 3krpms. On the stab the Z06s pulled about a car, once the FX400 hit 4,000+rpms he was on the brakes so he wouldn’t run into them. The set-up is a lot faster than we thought it was going to be. Time to change out the spring and see what 18psi will yield.

MiamiMermaid said:
All this talk is DaNgeRouS ... I may have to get a ticket to Vegas to check these babies out .... Sound absolutely AmaZinG !! Would you let a girl test-drive them ? :biggrin: :wink:

The hill is actually well organized and about as safe as you can get. Believe it or not we actually have some off duty officers that run with us. The only dangerous part will be the inevitable addiction to boost! Come on out anytime, I’m sure Mikey will let you test drive it as long as the final destination is Seamless:biggrin:

so will you have a car or 2 at the meet on saturday..i would hate to drive up from phoenix and have you not be there :(

01blacks4 said:
so will you have a car or 2 at the meet on saturday..i would hate to drive up from phoenix and have you not be there :(

It looks like Sat is going to be pretty tough for us, we have some clients running at Spring Mountain that weekend that need some attention. We may be able to make it back for the hill on Sunday. You should come out anyways and bring your Turbo NSX to run against some of the cars up there. The black NSX used to be an FX500, so it has been built to handle everything that little turbo can make.

Gah... don't remind me. That was a wretched wretched morning. If I'd have taken a ride in the FX500 at that time, the turbo would need some serious Drano. Well... definitely some leather cleaner anyway. :tongue:

You should come out anyways and bring your Turbo NSX to run against some of the cars up there.

not quite ready yet :)

soon though, i would live to bring it up...prolly once its nice and hot so i can make ALL THE POHWAWR.... :cool:

too bad i would love to see one in action...

marc

Back