• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My NSX alongside my new Lambo

Hugh said:
I particularly dislike that huge sub between the seats. I'm going to have one mounted NSX style in the passenger footwell in a custom built box. It will need to be easily removeable though because there is an access panel down. NO problem for a competent installer. Plus I think the head unit sucks. There's room down there for a custom installation using a double din unit with a screen.

Since I plan on this being my DD/mobile office I want to make the interior as user friendly/efficient as possible. I don't care about the fact that I'm modifying the interior. To me it's just a car and is made to be driven. It's a crime for people to buy these things as investments/garage queens. I'm also keeping a close eye on the boards to see if any chronic serious issues creep up as the current fleet accumulates more miles. So far nothing serious. Keeping my fingers crossed.

The spline bolts on the driveshafts seem to pissing off a few people on the gtforum board. Looks like they need better training for dealer techs or a service campaign to correct this. At least it's not internal transmission related. Do not forget there is an access panel behind the factory sub also you need to consider for servicing needs.

Shumdit said:
The spline bolts on the driveshafts seem to pissing off a few people on the gtforum board. Looks like they need better training for dealer techs or a service campaign to correct this. At least it's not internal transmission related. Do not forget there is an access panel behind the factory sub also you need to consider for servicing needs.

The cars delivered with no sub have a nice panel with storage that goes in that space. It's not a cheap part unfortunately.

I was a little nervous when I found out the tranny was a British unit. But so far the issues have been minor such as the one you pointed out. I've already purchased the factory service manual. I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself. At least from reading the manual it doesn't appear that hard to work on. Once the car is no longer under warranty it will never see the inside of a Ford service bay again.

Hugh said:
The cars delivered with no sub have a nice panel with storage that goes in that space. It's not a cheap part unfortunately.

I was a little nervous when I found out the tranny was a British unit. But so far the issues have been minor such as the one you pointed out. I've already purchased the factory service manual. I plan on doing most of the maintenance myself. At least from reading the manual it doesn't appear that hard to work on. Once the car is no longer under warranty it will never see the inside of a Ford service bay again.

Yes, like all items for the car, no replacement pieces like that "glovebox" will be cheap on a limited production car like the GT (except the shared parts like the Mondeo interior door handles and Focus steering column, but how likely are these parts going to be the ones to fail!:rolleyes:

I guess the door opening issue will not be a problem for you? I know if I got one I would not drive it often enough for it to likely bother me, but not being able to park normally in a garage or worrying some jackass will park next to me and make it impossible to enter the car would be a concern on a DD. Maybe you are going to install the $12K gullwings of the GT/B or have the GTX conversion done?:biggrin: :wink:

Hugh,

There has been a yellow one advertised for sale in Autoweek mag for quite a while. That color is by far my favorite, too, and unfortunately one of the only colors I have not seen in person.

If I remember I'll get the number for you.

sportmarc said:
Hugh,

There has been a yellow one advertised for sale in Autoweek mag for quite a while. That color is by far my favorite, too, and unfortunately one of the only colors I have not seen in person.

If I remember I'll get the number for you.

I think my first choice is Blue, no stripe, which is sadly a rare bird also.
I think ideally I would want that car with red calipers and upgrade wheels, but no mac. I doubt there is one out there like that.

Hugh said:
You know what I meant! That they knew better than to use CF for major structural parts. Deck lid innner linings and trim pieces I can tolerate. Using it for anything more than ornamental or weight savings on body panels is criminal. In reality the shit is as flimsy as paper mache. I don't buy any of that "stronger than steel" bullshit. Kevlar and Aramid are "stronger than steel" too but they don't make cars out of the stuff. :) Carrera GTs and Enzos are deathtraps. Give me metal! (In more ways than one)

The Porsche 959 used Kevlar in the body as does the Koenigsegg and Formula 1 cars make extensive use of Kevlar and carbon fiber and they seem quite crash worthy, do they not?

Regards,

Patrick

SugrueNSX said:
The Porsche 959 used Kevlar in the body as does the Koenigsegg and Formula 1 cars make extensive use of Kevlar and carbon fiber and they seem quite crash worthy, do they not?

Regards,

Patrick

I think he really means (and he will surely correct me if I am wrong) that if and when you have a fender bender, even relatively minor, the car will have a ton of damage $$$-wise to fix it, which is sure to make insurance costs very high.

Shumdit said:
I think he really means (and he will surely correct me if I am wrong) that if and when you have a fender bender, even relatively minor, the car will have a ton of damage $$$-wise to fix it, which is sure to make insurance costs very high.

CF doesn't have the elasticity that metal has. A metal framed car will crumble and absorb impact. A CF car will snap into pieces. The recent Enzo crash photos showing the car sliced in half through the passenger cabin are evidence of this.
CF is great for body panels (as long as you paint it) but not for structural components.

The Carrera GT has torque specs down to the inch/lb. If you overtorque fasteners makingg contact with the CF it could sustain enough damage that the car would need to be shipped back to McLaren for repairs. What kind of idiot buys a street car with such shortcomings. Not to mention the engine needs to be removed from the car to change to spark plugs. If this is great engineering, I'm Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer. What boggles my mind is that there are people that would actually pay a half-million dollars to take it up the ass from our German friends. Just more proof that PT Barnum was right. :)

:confused: how the hell did this thread turn into a debate about the Gt40 and a diatribe on carbon fiber???:confused:

c'mon guys...:redface:

91 X said:
:confused: how the hell did this thread turn into a debate about the Gt40 and a diatribe on carbon fiber???:confused:

Uh, it's a discussion forum. Summary of this thread: Silver Gallardo: Hot. NSX: Still Hot. Jonathan's House:Sweet. GT40:Super. Carbon Fiber and German Cars in general:Crap. I think that about covers it.

91 X said:

That Lambo looks nice next to that NSX.
The NSX looks nice also.
Nice looking house too.

Regards,

Patrick

Shumdit said:
Uh, it's a discussion forum. Summary of this thread: Silver Gallardo: Hot. NSX: Still Hot. Jonathan's House:Sweet. GT40:Super. Carbon Fiber and German Cars in general:Crap. I think that about covers it.

Damn good synopsis! Do you work for Cliff Notes in your spare time? :)

HKSboosted2 said:
He is President/CEO of Iriver USA according to his Myspace.

Nice whips!

Awesome looking cars!! But enough of that, let me know if you are looking for another flash memory supplier... I am the CTO of the flash memory group at intel. It's a small world :)

Ed

You still have the Lambo?
Now this is an old thread!
Trev

You still have the Lambo?
Now this is an old thread!
Trev

NOW this is an old thread... haha. I had this bookmarked so I could get to the pics and had forgotten about it. Fun flipping through them again. I have since sold both of those cars, and still miss them both FWIW.

I have had a lot of cars in between, but the NSX was my first love and now I keep pestering Acura to get me into one of the new ones just to see if the love affair will remain.

Back