• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My personal '91 NSX experience

*warning - long NSX love letter below with no real objective/questions/etc.. just wanted to share. skip this thread if your time is valuable. you have been warned.*

I just got back from one of *those* drives - you know, the kind of drive that just reaffirms the fact that the NSX is *the* car for you. I believe they call it a "peak experience" - one of those moments that stay with you forever.

A bit of background - I bought this '91 NSX with 35k miles on it last November 2013, and the previous owner wasn't all that great to her. The PPI showed a perfect motor though, good body, but it did have some minor flaws - some chips in paint, a leaking master/slave cylinder, some corrosion on the rear 3 ignition coils, a/c needing recharge, slow windows. Thankfully, the TB/WP was done recently, and I did some research from the carfax, called around some dealers local to the area the car was registered in, and found the dealer the car was serviced at. Called the dealer and gave them the VIN, and the service history showed that it recently also had a valve adjustment, new plugs, new coolant hoses all installed on top of the TB/WP. Great!

So I pulled the trigger on the car, brought it home, and took the wife out on a nice long drive to dinner. 3 hours later on our return drive, we found ourselves stranded on the side of the highway (680S for the locals) - the throttle cable had snapped! Gas pedal went straight to the floor. Towed her home with my "peace of mind" completely destroyed. Once monday rolled around, I called Don @ Hilltop auto, and towed the car over to get the throttle cable fixed, along with the a/c recharge, new ignition coils, new master/slave cylinder, new window regulators + retainers on both sides, etc.

FzZeEdnl.jpg

$3600 and 2.5 weeks later, she was back on the road, but there was another issue - the clutch shudders violently during the last 20% or so of engagement, enough to shake the steering wheel. Makes me wonder if the leaking master/slave cylinders contaminated the clutch disc surfaces. Ordered a new SoS sport 275 clutch+flywheel on 12/18/13, and it still hasn't arrived - it's backordered until 1/13/14!! ARGH! On top of that, the car, ONCE, did a weird thing hesitating at about 3-3.5k rpms for a second, then clicking in and surging forward like it should. It has never done that again since, though.

XalSydLl.jpg

So, as you can figure - since I bought the car I've only been able to drive it 8-10 times. I didn't "trust" the car quite yet either, so it spends all its time parked in the garage on a battery tender. At the back of my mind during this entire ordeal, I had been wondering if I had made a huge mistake with the NSX. It was nothing like the vettes, 911s, and even lotuses or S2000s I've had in my past - where I could just get in, not worry, and drive+enjoy. On one hand, I told myself that it was a 23 year old car after all, and some of this was just to be expected. On the other hand, I had wondered if I got a lemon and this would be a common occurrence during my NSX ownership.

tai8YX9l.jpg

Today was different. I woke up feeling bold and dangerous, and decided to take the car out to work, after not having driven it for weeks. She did just fine. Started instantly, and purred along with the sweet baritone symphony behind my head the entire way - even through stop and go rush hour traffic. Aside from the shuddering clutch in 1/2/3rd gear (which I have kind of learned to drive around), everything was perfect. I have not been able to get the hesitation to happen again (drove it about 6-7 times after it first happened and it hasn't come back yet) - wondering if it was just from the car sitting so long (1+ month) without being driven.

qDYdunVl.jpg

Anyways, one thing I realize - is that EVERY single time I drive the NSX, I get a little more hooked. I fall a little bit more in love. I don't know what it is - at low speeds around town, the NSX feels like a firm, low, accord. It just gets out of my way and disappears from between me and the road. But unlike an accord, it fits my body like a glove. I *love* the low cowl and visibility - when I drove the evora again after some time in the NSX, I felt claustrophobic and hated it (good thing it's mostly my wife's daily driver). I figured this is what horses feel like walking around with those side blinders on.

KzLwa6P.jpg

I'm also realizing that as I get to know the car better, I am falling in love with the manual steering. I've driven the NSX <10 times now, but even then I don't even notice the low speed efforts anymore. But I *love* how the weight of the wheel changes with load - it really feels alive. I love the way it squirms in my hand over uneven roads. I love the way it starts to get heavier as I feed the car throttle through a turn. It makes me look forward to the next turn or sweeper coming up so I can turn the car. Why aren't all cars like this?? The steering wheel on this car is "alive" in the most literal sense - it reacts accordingly to load and talks to you. Other wheels (most, but not all of course) feel dead - same effort required to turn the wheel regardless of whether it's going straight, taking a long sweeper, or doing a low speed u-turn.

When I'm *not* driving the car, I just gaze at the body and design and fall in love all over again. There is nothing like this car out there today, aesthetically nor feel/function wise. I stare at photos of this car on my phone when I'm at home/work, and sometimes I go down to the garage just to look at it and sit in it.

Oo1oy5wl.jpg

I have had a *LOT* of sports cars. I can't believe this 23 year old honda excites me so profoundly in ways none of the others could. And despite the maintenance/repairs/downtime, I would pick this car over any of my other cars, 7 days out of the week. I guess today is the day I just fell head over heels for the car after realizing what an enigma I had.

A lot of people say the NSX has no soul. They are wrong. This car has the most intangible, unquantifiable character about it that just makes me want to explore it more. I can't get enough of it. I can't figure it out. It's one of a kind. And it's one of those things you won't realize until you spend some time living with the car. The more you put in, the more you get back. Before I had purchased the NSX, I noticed owners consistently praising the driving position, and visibility of the road in front and around you from the driver's seat. I didn't understand this at first. I'd stare at photos of the interior and go "it looks nice, but I don't see why it's so great visibility wise." Even the first/second time I drove this car, I didn't notice it - probably was too busy/excited learning the car to notice. But the more I drive this car, the more I realize what they mean - when I get into any other car now, I feel like I am in a victorian bathtub!! High cowls and beltlines, tiny windshields, huge pillars - I had no idea these things made such a profound difference in driving experience. In the NSX I feel like I am in a glass bubble travelling down the road - in other cars I feel like I am inside a bathtub or tank driving down the road, surrounded by hunks of metal on all sides, and looking at the road through the small portholes of the vehicle.

WONLeN8l.jpg

Sorry for the long ramble. I just feel like a giddy little schoolboy falling in love again for the first time, I just had to share. I can't wait until the SoS clutch is installed, I want to drive the shit out of this car!! This car is like a drug - first hit was free, and now I'll do/pay anything to get that hit again. The NSX - the new crystal meth, except you get to keep your teeth. If any of you reading this (and made it this far, congrats), and are thinking about buying an NSX - DO IT. DO IT DO IT DO IT. There are faster cars for cheaper, yes. But none are like the NSX, trust me on that. Nothing even comes close.

Things that make being alive worth it:
1) own a big dog
2) fall in love*
3) own an NSX*
* can be combined, but don't tell my wife

TL;DR - Despite car's spotty beginning I love this car more than any other car I've ever owned, and I can't even describe why. It is just on another level, and no other car I've ever owned comes close.

I am enjoying your unbridled enthusiasm.Sebring is a great color for the car.I'm also happy to see that the car has found a careful concerned owner who can afford to fix/maintain it properly.

Great story, sorry to hear that you had couple issues with her, fix her couple of issues and you'll be able to enjoy her for many years to come. Beautiful car and very nice color, there something classy about an original NSX on those fat five wheels, I think they look great and super sexy. What did Don do for the broken throttle cable since they are discontinue? Wonder why it broke and if this is one of those preventive maintenance as well.

Made me want to get mine out and drive it, but the weather/roads are still crappy. The sound you get in your left ear is addicting. I want to know if you now suffer from LDS(Look Back Syndrone)?

@docjohn: thank you :) yep, when the new clutch goes in, I'm going to ask the shop to also check out the fuel/ignition system and O2 sensors in case the hesitation I had once is indicative of an issue. After that, some paint touchups for the minor chips on the rear, and then I'm going to ride her daily and enjoy her for a long time :D

@anesthesia: thanks! Yeah, it *is* a 23 year old car though, so the issues aren't too unexpected I guess. I do love the fat five oem wheels - I love the look of the NA2 v1 wheels, but I may just keep this car as OEM as possible for a while :)

Don fixed the throttle cable by sending the broken one to a separate company that specialized in cables, and had a replica custom made. Thank goodness for Don :) Not sure why it broke, but I did notice this car was originally an Arizona car - wonder if the dry heat made things brittle? Would explain why the owner got all the hoses and such replaced.. Don said he's only seen one other occurrence of a snapped throttle cable, and it was from a rat in the car chewing through cables!

Here's where mine broke - right at the throttle body blade lever:
3AwkVhLl.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

@Nukem: Oh, totally suffer from LBS - I find excuses to go *back* to the car to stare at it some more! I'm starting to get pretty good walking forward with my head cranked 180 degrees backwards... :D It has been pretty agonizing not being able to drive the NSX as much as I want to.. but looking at the timeless design and stroking her curves is pretty fun, too :)

Last edited:
I can certainly relate to your feelings about the car. Each time I drive my car I fall a little bit more in love with her. I can't wait to have her completely done up the way I want her. But then again she's pretty awesome the way she sits right now. I had a chance to open the car up on the highway about three weeks ago and have been dying to do the same again since. Sadly weather in the Northeast has not been the greatest lately so she just sits in the garage, cold and alone. 60's are coming this weekend so out she goes for a spirited drive and nice wash and wax. Man I love being part of this club!

Kertong:
Well said. You've managed to put into words what most of us on this forum have felt for some time now. The NSX is the only car that on paper isn't too impressive compared to todays cars. But once you drive one nothing comes close to it. Those who don't own one or have never driven one look at us like we're fanatics or a cult. And they're right. We can't get enough of the Kool-Aid. It kills me to walk past my car in the garage and not drive it. Even after I just got back from a 3,600 mile trip to the Fl. Keys in it.

P.S. You have a great low mileage car that needed a bit of TLC due to it's age. You are doing the right thing in getting all of the age related bugs out of it and you should be able to drive it worry free for a long time. Congrats on the awesome find.

Last edited:
Install some nice wheels and you'll be glad you did. It will completely change the appearance. Also ask Don where he sent the cable. Broken cables have been a sore subject for some since Honda has discontinued them. You may want to invest in a Main relay too.

well if you haven't gotten the new clutch get a refund, get a stock clutch is cost more but your not gonna like the new one trust me.

go stock... you have been warned :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

what got me worried is we are having a lot of throttle cable breaks

should we lube the cable by dripping oil into the sleeve intill we see it come out on the other side.

is this something to look forward to ya know

Thanks for expressing what so many of us feel; I believe you and your car deserve each other.

One of the many things I enjoyed in your post was this: "sometimes I go down to the garage just to look at it and sit in it".

I'll admit that I have done this on more than one occasion; I wonder if this is a universal behavior for new owners.

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies everyone! Glad I'm not the only one swimming the NSX mystique :)

well if you haven't gotten the new clutch get a refund, get a stock clutch is cost more but your not gonna like the new one trust me.

Thanks shawn110975 - could you elaborate? What's wrong with the Sos 275 clutch+flywheel? I did a bunch of research here before buying and I haven't read anything negative about it. I'm aware of the differences that the lightweight flywheel can cause, and I kind of like them :) Any tips or stories you have on the SoS275 would be greatly appreciated!

As for the throttle cable breakages - I'll have to ask Don where he got it rebuilt. When mine snapped, the metal felt dry and hard - I took some white lithium grease and applied it on the area where the throttle cable touches the throttle body lever. Seems like that's where most cables break, though I saw one instance where it broke off somewhere closer to the pedal. Real shame that the part is discontinued now, I feel kind of dirty knowing I have a non-OEM "hacked" cable in place on the car already :(

You have a 2013 Evora? interested to hear about the comparison after all the bugs have been work out on your 91. I am curious since you have a new Evora, why buy a 23 yr. old "seemingly" the same car so they say?

FWIW, took me 4 yrs to find my 93 w/ low miles and when I drove home 900 miles later, the right rear showed chords. I was shocked and did not know what happened since the left looked ok. It turned out the rear toe was WAY off and there was no way the previous owner drove the car much. After fixing all the typical things here and there, its so reliable and I have taken many cross country trips often 24hrs at a time.

Once you catch the bug to mod, you won't feel dirty anymore:wink:....but crack is cheaper.:frown:

@liftnot: Good question - few reasons:

1) The Evora has the small backseats, which is perfect for our 60+lbs dog we like to tote around
2) I have lusted after an NSX ever since I first saw one when I was 12 years old
3) My wife loves the evora and drives it to work daily (also so she can take the dog). I needed my own midengined car :D

It's also not too unusual for us - my wife is also a car nut. At one point of our lives, we each had a C6 corvette, and a few years later we both had a boxster S (though mine was a 987.1 and hers a 987.2). I also tend to prefer slightly older cars, while my wife is all about brand-new, warrantied, show-room condition cars built to her options preferences, etc.

When I first got the Evora, I was in the camp that they are "seemingly" the modern NSX. After some time in both, I have completely switched camps. The steering, while it feels "lively" and communicative, lacks the assuring varied weight of the NSX'es. :) The chassis also feels stiffer by quite a bit in the NSX - my NSX does not creak or groan whatsoever going over speedbumps or driveways, something my wife and I were both amazed at. Our evora only has 7k miles on it at the moment, but it is already creaking over bumps and driveways.

But more importantly - one of the best parts of the NSX is the visibility and seating position, which the evora does not have. There is practically no rearward/blindspot visibility in the evora - none. Makes me feel claustrophobic driving it around - lane changes are a religious experience (because they require a lot of faith). The front visibility is kind of there as you don't see the hood (just the fender flares, like the NSX), but it is mostly negated by the higher cowl/beltlines and tiny windows of the car. On paper, they are quite similar - but when it comes to driving experience, they are completely different. I feel that the evora is the kind of car the NSX tried to out-design in terms of livability/streetability - which it did a great job at, imo. :) The driver's feet are also crammed towards the right, with no dead pedal on the left - just a big box intruding into the space. Handling characteristics wise, I feel the evora might actually be closer to a base cayman or boxster (with top up). An evora S may be a completely different story, though.

Many of you are familiar with the driving position / view of the NSX, so the video I posted above of the point-of-view NSX drive was nothing surprising. But as comparision, here is one where I am in the Evora - I know it's just a limited video but I hope it can give you a sense of how different the experiences are. For fun, check out the rear view mirror - see how useless rear visibility is? :) Also check out 1:00-1:02 in the video to see what I mean about the blindspots. :) Driving the evora just makes me enjoy and appreciate the NSX even more - the NSX is like a breath of fresh air, which is interesting considering it is 23 years old.

As for modding the NSX - once the car is mechanically sound, the paint chips are fixed, and everything is properly aligned (good call on getting the toe/wear checked out), I was planning on enjoying the car as is for a long time, and slowly adding intake/headers/exhaust. And maybe the NA2 v1 wheels - but other than that, I love the car enough as is :)

Last edited:
Thx for the summary. My wife is also a car nut. So we were dating, I asked her if she knew what H&T was, and she replied " ha :rolleyes:i can do it with my high heels on!" I have yet to ask her to show me cuz she is lighter than me and I am afraid she "just might be" faster than me so I gotta keep things in the proper order.:wink:

Going to Santa Barbara passing Rincon I see.

Did not know Evora has no rear view, did not know it talks too much, surprise the tub is not as stiff as the NSX given they've been producing the Elise/Exige for years which has a great tub I was told, did not know it has no rest pedal, did not know steering does not talk to you, can I safely assume the shifting is vague?

Now I am more sure you will love the NSX more when the bugs are gone. Many pleasant surprises on the NSX over the years and makes me realize how much effort Honda gave to give birth to this car. You sound like an experienced sports car nut. Welcome to the club.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story - I enjoyed it! Owning an NSX is a labor of love for sure. They can be needy old cars at times, but it only takes one exhilarating ride to remind us that it's all worth it. I am especially intrigued by Google Glass. Reading up on it now. This would be awesome for some of the motorsports activities and outdoorsy things that I do. Are you part of the Glass Explorer Program?

@liftnot: Ah, let me clarify - what I said about the evora was relative to the NSX. Compare it to say, an S2000 (a car I absolutely love, owned one as well in 08, haha), and it would score much higher marks in terms of steering communication and feedback. :) I was surprised too though, that the car is already creaking - I'm wondering if it's coming from somewhere else in the suspension rather than the tub/frame. Cornering and driving around though, the car still feels tight and solid. Hard to say re: shifting, this is an "IPS" automatic, and it does not come close to a PDK. Gears hang, take some time to downshift, and sometimes hover a bit too long, etc. Another reason I had to get an NSX for myself, I *have* to have a stick and clutch in my hand! Oh, and as for the dead pedal, there is *technically* a dead pedal, but it is more like a heel rest - it's only about 2 inches tall and is smashed into the corner. I can't really tell it's there when my feet are there. Especially hard to appreciate when your legs are cranked and crammed to the right of the car. :)

That's hilarious about your wife - heel and toe'ing in high heels, I don't think I could pull that off myself! haha. What does she drive these days? :) Sounds like you guys were a match made in car-heaven!

@4cruizn: thanks for the kind words! Perfectly put - work in, reward out, and one simple fun drive is all it takes to remind yourself of that. :) For google glass - I was shoehorned into the google glass explorer program, as the company I'm currently at is developing an app for glass and google wanted us to test the app heavily - so a bunch of us got opt-in invites to get the glass units. They're pretty nifty pieces of gadgetry, though I think $1500 for a set is way overpriced right now. Useful mostly for POV camera and video'ing :) I can keep you in mind for the next tiem invites roll out, and I'll be sure to reach out to you if you'd like to get a pair for yourself - I already took care of most of my friends who were interested in getting a pair, so the next round should have some spare invites to give out.

Happy NSX'ing, everybody!

Last edited:
I think Homer is saying to you: Doh, they didn't glue the car correctly(sorry, couldn't help myself) thats why its talking.

my wife had a MR2, an early FT86 and she always wanted a Miata so she has a 99 10yr special. its so special I hate driving it cuz I had a 94 R and I can make it dance. This 99 is so lazy in everything and she won't let me mod it, Pssss...I rather ride my scooter. She is from Canada and she had to take a driving test to get her Calif. license. The tester was impressed how she drove as most people won't take a driving test in a stick shift.

Evora steering feel is less than the NSX but better than the S2000? that's messed up.

does she still have an ft86? i had an mr2 spuder out of college, and also had a brz recently but it really was not my cup of tea..

hmm yeah, i felt the s2000 steering was responsive and super precise, but on the numb side. still loved the car, though (i had an 06 ap2 fwiw).

she sold the FT86 to a friend long ago. BRZ is fine for entry level but anemic like the Miata. flat 4 is reliable but flat. My Miata R was a lot of fun but i wept sad when I sold it to go work overseas in SG.....bought a WRX(cost $94K) based on the hype awd/JDM tuned etc.....what a mistake that was. I was ricing for 6 months and sold it back to the dealer. Moved back to SD and bought my old Miata R back.....wept joy driving away like I found an old friend. My NSX is a keeper...now I am free from CARB, fun days ahead.

Great story!! I have the same feeling with you regarding the NSX, there is just something about the car that can not explained easily. I found it to be really exciting to drive even stock and more exciting than my modded 997 Turbo. Bought mine in October last year and never looked back. Now I need some sunny days so I can take mine out for a drive.

dang. pics of the 94k WRX?

:smile: in SG = Singapore, it just maybe the most expensive place in the world to buy cars. Don't let the low tax fool you. They get you some other ways.

I'll summarize, You need to buy a permit ~ $30k(back in 2001) ~75k(in 2013)to allow you to buy a car.
a basic car say Toyota Corolla was about $30k so total of $60k to own a Corolla.
you are not allowed to own a new car for more than 10yrs, if you do, you gotta pay $$$$ to keep it.

Many people trade in for a new cars every 3-4yrs which I never understood even when they explained it to me except to keep the car under warranty at all times.

my WRX had an oem turbo and was the JDM version (not STI) which cost $64k. Blue with gold wheels....It came with a carbon fiber shaft, racing queen Subi Blue umbrella all very rice and very JDM. but no place to drive and no place to speed as cameras were everywhere. I got it so I can go to Sepang F1 track where it cost $85 to run with a club for the wkend including ambulance!!! but I never made it. I kissed the ground when I landed in LAX.

Last edited:
Back