• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My personal '91 NSX experience

Great Write up. Congrats!! Those of us who have owned our cars for years sometimes forget how great the car really is. Reading a new owner's enthusiastic post helps remind us.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have had a terrible habit of getting bored with my cars, even though they initially are enjoyable. Previously had a '85 Porsche 928, 2000 Boxster, 1999 911 cab. Have had the NSX (also 1991) for over a year now and love it more and more over time. Still find excuses to drive it.

Install some nice wheels and you'll be glad you did..

+1. About three years ago I found some '02-'05 wheels in the parts for sale forum that totally transformed my 91. Until then I was quite content with my chunky OEM wheels. The OEMs haven't been back on the car since.

Thanks for your thoughts. I have had a terrible habit of getting bored with my cars, even though they initially are enjoyable. Previously had a '85 Porsche 928, 2000 Boxster, 1999 911 cab. Have had the NSX (also 1991) for over a year now and love it more and more over time. Still find excuses to drive it.

Shrink, great minds must think alike! :D I am the same way, I tire of my cars quickly and have been through tons of cars - but I think driving the NSX is what really sped that up. Every car I owned, in the back of my mind, I was always comparing to that magical test drive I had in that NSX. No car would really stir my soul the way that NSX did, but I'd justify other newer cars as I was afraid of the maintenance/repairs/reliability of a 1991-1993 car. Glad I got over that fast though, should've just bitten the bullet earlier! Just for reference, here are the cars I've owned in order (not including the ones I've owned with my wife): 95 camaro z28, '00 mr2 spyder, '97 trans-am, '04 corvette Z06, '05 S2000, '06 Lotus Elise, '08 S2000, '09 Corvette, '99 911 c2, '10 Corvette, '06 boxster S, '09 boxster S pdk, '13 BRZ, and finally, my '91 NSX! :D It's been a fun journey but I feel like I am finished and "at home" now to rest. :)

Thanks for the awesome comments, everyone!

KzXq4ufl.jpg

Last edited:
Nice story. I hope to own a NSX one day. I have had alot of sports cars but never even sat in a NSX. I hope to fix that soon.

Thanks for expressing what so many of us feel; I believe you and your car deserve each other.

One of the many things I enjoyed in your post was this: "sometimes I go down to the garage just to look at it and sit in it".

I'll admit that I have done this on more than one occasion; I wonder if this is a universal behavior for new owners.

Cheers!

I did that just a couple days ago and I've had the car for almost 3 years now lol. Sat in the car just to admire it a bit :). I hope it starts to warm up so I can take it out again I'm getting impatient :(.

thank you for your words of inspiration. I'm even more excited looking to become an owner after reading your post. I've been a long time admirer, and am finally in a position to pull the trigger. I have looked at other models too, and I share your exacts words "There is nothing like this car out there today, aesthetically nor feel/function wise."

-sj

Great write up and welcome to the community.

I think its wonderful that all of us can share the same sentiment about this amazing vehicle. Many of us feel so enthralled that we vent our excitement by starting a new thread. I've been an enthusiast for a while now and I can say that I've never been involved in a more enthusiastic community. Ive owned two NSX's thus far and thought I had shaken the car bug. But this isn't just a car; its part of my family. Kind of sappy but true

Enjoy your time with her. Read up on the car and youll quickly become acquainted with common and prospective problems. Though small, theyre expected for older vehicles.
to name a few: main relay, brake/clutch master cylinders, snap ring issue (if in range), and 15/16" oem wheels :biggrin:

Kertong, DO not believe anyone who states the SOS clutch is anything but awesome. IMHO, installed correctly, better than OEM.:wink:

Original post explains my feelings exactly. I've always had wanderlust looking at newer vehicles and on the spec sheet they are always so nice. Then you drive them and realize that they are an appliance. Just a mode of transportation where older cars and especially the NSX feel as if they have a character or personality. It wants to be driven. I'm told time and time again that the value of these cars is ridiculous. You wanna pay for a spec sheet or do you want to pay for emotional involvement. The hooker is cheap, the wife is expensive.

My journey begins with picking up my '97 NSX-T this weekend. :biggrin:

My journey begins with picking up my '97 NSX-T this weekend. :biggrin:

Nice!! Congrats!

As you can see from the replies above, I am not the only one so enthused with the NSX that emotions overflow and words fail to describe the joy!

My NSX has been rock solid since the repairs and I have been enjoying it greatly! Can't wait to see pics of your NSX.

Here's something to whet your appetite :D Been tooling around more, made another little video:

The craziest thing is - it's been 5 months since I've been driving the car, but STILL, every single time, I am disappointed my drives aren't longer. This is the first car I've had where I can truly say that. It's never enough. I look forward to commuting to work and home, because it means I get to sit in my NSX. When on/off ramps or nice roads open up, it's a real treat, and I just can't get enough of it.

The car is incredible. Nothing else out there like this one. sparrow hit the nail on the head - hookers are cheap thrills, wives are expensive but lasting and grow together with you in your life. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Kertong, DO not believe anyone who states the SOS clutch is anything but awesome. IMHO, installed correctly, better than OEM.:wink:

I agree, I am experiencing it first hand! I have maybe 600-700 miles on the SoS clutch now and it is amazing. I love it. Rev matching is so crisp and precise, and fast! Everywhere else, it feels just like OEM and is *super* smooth and silent. Fantastic clutch, totally getting another one (or an SoS 350) when it comes time to replace it. :)

Last edited:
Nice!! Congrats!

As you can see from the replies above, I am not the only one so enthused with the NSX that emotions overflow and words fail to describe the joy!

My NSX has been rock solid since the repairs and I have been enjoying it greatly! Can't wait to see pics of your NSX.

Here's something to whet your appetite :D Been tooling around more, made another little video:

The craziest thing is - it's been 5 months since I've been driving the car, but STILL, every single time, I am disappointed my drives aren't longer. This is the first car I've had where I can truly say that. It's never enough. I look forward to commuting to work and home, because it means I get to sit in my NSX. When on/off ramps or nice roads open up, it's a real treat, and I just can't get enough of it.

The car is incredible. Nothing else out there like this one. sparrow hit the nail on the head - hookers are cheap thrills, wives are expensive but lasting and grow together with you in your life. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, I am experiencing it first hand! I have maybe 600-700 miles on the SoS clutch now and it is amazing. I love it. Rev matching is so crisp and precise, and fast! Everywhere else, it feels just like OEM and is *super* smooth and silent. Fantastic clutch, totally getting another one (or an SoS 350) when it comes time to replace it. :)

i totally agree with you kerlong after getting my car back from larry's it been a blast! to bad my commute is just down the street :( by the way that some good quality video for the google glasses seems on par with gopro.

Back