• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA1 5 speed VERY HIGH CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT POINT - can it be adjusted?

I have my 92 NA1 5 speed, with only 21K miles on it, with original clutch. Totally stock powertrain.

The clutch doesn't slip or chatter but the engagement point is VERY high in the stroke -- it catches almost all the way at the end (the very top) of the pedal travel. And the engagement window is fairly narrow - e.g. the last 15-20% of the stroke.

I have driven other Honda's/Acura's and the clutches have been very normal...lower-, or mid-stroke engagement, wider window.

Is this normal operation for the NSX? Can the engagement point be adjusted? Or do I need a new clutch job to get it working properly?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

My 92 is the same, it grabs pretty high.

I have never heard of this on any Honda I have owned and not on my NSx for sure. Mine grabs maybe 3/5-2/3 of the way up and seems like it has a fairly wide engagement zone.

My '91 has a high engagement as well.

One more data point: my NSX clutch is surprisingly high but I've had other NSX owners drive it and they tell me it is normal. I got used to it (moved my seat back a bit).

See if you can either drive another NSX or have another NSX owner near you drive yours to see if yours is unusually high, even for an NSX.

Thanks to all for your replies. At least I know mine is working properly now.
Given the super high grab point, I am thinking it might be good to get a clutch pedal limiter so there isn't so much wasted motion at the bottom of the stroke.
Did that with my old stick shift M3 and it improved the driving experience.

Last edited:
Honestly I just got used to it. Drive it for a few months and you'll never notice it.

Mine is the opposite, grabs pretty low. I wonder if that can be adjusted?

You might have an aftermarket clutch. I know the Comptech grabs low (or at least low compared to the OEM Honda).

Yes that is normal. My 04 is the same thing when I brought it with 24k miles then I went to a local tunner shop. They adjust the rod behind the clutch. Its a very easy adjust. Now my clutch engage in half way when I release it. It drive much better.

I was wondering as well in a 93 NA1 I got to drive around. I thought it might need a new clutch or slave cylinder but the records show they were just replaced, plus the clutch never really slips. It'd be nice if the engagement point could be brought down a bit

I have my 92 NA1 5 speed, with only 21K miles on it, with original clutch. Totally stock powertrain.

The clutch doesn't slip or chatter but the engagement point is VERY high in the stroke -- it catches almost all the way at the end (the very top) of the pedal travel. And the engagement window is fairly narrow - e.g. the last 15-20% of the stroke.

I have driven other Honda's/Acura's and the clutches have been very normal...lower-, or mid-stroke engagement, wider window.

Is this normal operation for the NSX? Can the engagement point be adjusted? Or do I need a new clutch job to get it working properly?

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
My 1991 has a high clutch too. It takes me some getting use to it and adjusting my seat a little closer.

My 1991 has a high clutch too. It takes me some getting use to it and adjusting my seat a little closer.
The clutch master has an adjustment, but be very careful with it because a bad adjustment might lead to the clutch not fully engaging/disengaging. The process is on page 12-5 of the service manual.

Holy thread bump!

The clutch pedal rod (interior footwell) is adjustable, so assuming the system is already fully bled....tweak it to the specified play setting and see if it works as designed.

Back