• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NA2 NSX-R Tires are different than 2008 S2000 CR Tires

I see.
I was considering running Advan Neova's on the NSX, but they didn't have them in the proper sizes for my OEM 97 wheels.
Do they carry Neova's in your size?

They're a bit rough feeling, but the dry grip on them was rediculous. They were on my 240SX, lowered on Tein coilovers, Cusco and Nismo parts all around. I had to purposely whip the rear end out to break traction. I've only broken traction once on that tire.

For the RE-01R's, I haven't done anything stupid with them, nor do I intend to.
My friend needs to get a new set of tires soon (He's in a WRX, with GS-D3s) so I strongly encouraged him to get RE-01R's.

I took him for a short ride in the NSX at night, testing out the tires for myself and him.
I was going through a 30mph turn at about 50-55mph in 4th gear with relative ease. It was a 2 lane turn. I took the turn 6 times in total, 3 left turns, 3 right turns.

And before people go crazy, this was done on with absolutely ZERO cars on the street, I checked.

No they don't. The 215/40/17 is really hard to find especially in something that's good for track.

Your completely right on the RE01R for the street. The limits of that tire should only be explored on the track. As a track tire it's great even hot it still has a tremendous amount of grip and doesn't get "greasy" at all.

I'm glad you found it's good in the rain as that was a big concern of mine. Supposedly the main difference between the RE070 and the RE01R is that the RE070 is superior in the rain. I sometimes get caught in huge downpours on interstate drives and need something good in the rain

I love my RT-615's :D 10k miles on them and still going even with hard street driving! :eek:

this is all the convincing i need that the RE01R is awesome in the rain.....
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0XPaP4_xj8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0XPaP4_xj8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:biggrin:

i doubt the RE070 will do that in the rain.... i know it's not the same, but my buddy has an STi with 070s (i know, no the type R.... but very similar!), and says they're sketchy in the rain.

No they don't. The 215/40/17 is really hard to find especially in something that's good for track.

Your completely right on the RE01R for the street. The limits of that tire should only be explored on the track. As a track tire it's great even hot it still has a tremendous amount of grip and doesn't get "greasy" at all.

I'm glad you found it's good in the rain as that was a big concern of mine. Supposedly the main difference between the RE070 and the RE01R is that the RE070 is superior in the rain. I sometimes get caught in huge downpours on interstate drives and need something good in the rain

I was considering the RE050 Pole Positions for my NSX, but unfortunately they didn't make them in the correct sizes for me.

As long as you're driving in an attentive and safe manner, and not going though very large puddles, I think the RE-01Rs will be acceptable/pretty good in the rain.

On the first drive home, I was going at about 70mph (75mph max) without any quick steering action, and the tires felt stable and well. There were a good amount of other times when I drove the NSX in light rain, or after it rained the previous night, and the tires were still good, without any hydroplaning.
The Tire Rack results show that they are acceptable in the wet:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=100
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=71

And that video posted by Synthesis shows that they are good in the wet (Although I definitely would not be pushing the NSX with RE-01Rs in the rain)

IIRC, but not that they make a difference to us, but the RE-01Rs are the stock tire for the Nismo R34 Z-Tune.

Last edited:
Are you saying that from experience or hearsay?

Because I'm running on RE-01R's right now.

I bought the tires last month, brand new, and guess what?

The first day they were put on, it was raining here quite badly.
I was concerned about brand new tires in the rain, but you know what?

They were PERFECT in the rain at freeway speeds.
It was about a 30 mile drive home, in the rain. Not light sprinkling of rain, but actual rain where you needed to use the 2nd speed setting for your windshield wipers.
It was raining continually for the drive home, and my NSX was 100% fine. I went through a few puddles, and zero hydroplaning. Also, there was zero tracking on the cracks at freeway speeds.

They are seriously the best tires I've ran in my life. Although they were different cars, I've had the GS-D3's and Advan NEOVAs

They are sharp steering, precise, and comfortable but firm. I've got over 1000 miles on the tires already.

And where did you hear that 615's are better than the RE-01R on the street?

There was an S2000 review that said that the RE-01R's are better than the 615s in a comparison, but I haven't heard the other way around.

I am completely incorrect. :redface: The RE-01R isn't an R-compund tire. I was not aware of this tire. It appears that it is an outstanding wet and dry traction tire offering a extraordinary level of wet performance considering its extremely high level of dry performance.

It does appear that the level of dry performance may exceed the GS-D3 but not in wet performance and the treadlife rating from Tirerack indicates similar treadlife between the two. However the price of the RE-01R is about 25% greater than the GS-D3 and as WingZ noted it may be difficult to obtain the proper tires for the front wheel sizes for either a 16" stock or 17" aftermarket wheel.

As for the 615-RT I would have to say that based on what I know of that tire it would definitely provide better dry grip than the RE-01R especially on the track. Based on the profile of the RE-01R there's simply no way a tire with its treadlife and wet traction could provide better dry traction than the 615-RT. The 615-RT is a borderline R-compound tire and has characteristics consistent with an R-compound such as treadlife and poor wet handling. Even the high-performance test done by tirerack notes the Yoko Advan Neova AD07 had better dry grip than the RE-01R and I know from personal experience that the 615 has significantly more grip on the track than the Advan.

On the street the RE-01R appears to be a beast of a tire and possibly worth the extra 25% over the GS-D3 if front sizes could be found for the NSX. However on the track the Falken Azenis 615-RT is the stickiest and cheapest non-R-compound tire available.

I was considering the RE050 Pole Positions for my NSX, but unfortunately they didn't make them in the correct sizes for me.

As long as you're driving in an attentive and safe manner, and not going though very large puddles, I think the RE-01Rs will be acceptable/pretty good in the rain.

On the first drive home, I was going at about 70mph (75mph max) without any quick steering action, and the tires felt stable and well. There were a good amount of other times when I drove the NSX in light rain, or after it rained the previous night, and the tires were still good, without any hydroplaning.
The Tire Rack results show that they are acceptable in the wet:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=100
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=71

And that video posted by Synthesis shows that they are good in the wet (Although I definitely would not be pushing the NSX with RE-01Rs in the rain)

IIRC, but not that they make a difference to us, but the RE-01Rs are the stock tire for the Nismo R34 Z-Tune.

Wow the RE01R does seem to be quite superior to it's competitors. I first started researching it after I found out I wouldn't be able to import the RE55s and since Pirelli stopped importing the P Zero Corsa system in any size that would work:mad: That said I'm also very happy with the RE01R especially now that I know it's decent in the rain.

Tire size for the the stock 17" rims will be really interesting in the future if tire manufacturers continue to get away from offering the 215/40 tire size.

Can I do a shameless plug and ask if anyone here needs two 265/35/18 RE01Rs:biggrin:

I am completely incorrect. :redface: The RE-01R isn't an R-compund tire. I was not aware of this tire. It appears that it is an outstanding wet and dry traction tire offering a extraordinary level of wet performance considering its extremely high level of dry performance.

It does appear that the level of dry performance may exceed the GS-D3 but not in wet performance and the treadlife rating from Tirerack indicates similar treadlife between the two. However the price of the RE-01R is about 25% greater than the GS-D3 and as WingZ noted it may be difficult to obtain the proper tires for the front wheel sizes for either a 16" stock or 17" aftermarket wheel.

As for the 615-RT I would have to say that based on what I know of that tire it would definitely provide better dry grip than the RE-01R especially on the track. Based on the profile of the RE-01R there's simply no way a tire with its treadlife and wet traction could provide better dry traction than the 615-RT. The 615-RT is a borderline R-compound tire and has characteristics consistent with an R-compound such as treadlife and poor wet handling. Even the high-performance test done by tirerack notes the Yoko Advan Neova AD07 had better dry grip than the RE-01R and I know from personal experience that the 615 has significantly more grip on the track than the Advan.

On the street the RE-01R appears to be a beast of a tire and possibly worth the extra 25% over the GS-D3 if front sizes could be found for the NSX. However on the track the Falken Azenis 615-RT is the stickiest and cheapest non-R-compound tire available.

Thanks for clarifying, much appreciated.

The treadlife for the RE-01R is definitely lower than the GS-D3s, for sure. However, I would like to clarify: It doesn't make too much of a difference, but on Tire Rack, the wear rating for the RE-01R is 140, but on my RE-01R tires, they say 180. Again, not too much of a difference because the GS-D3 will clearly last longer than the RE-01Rs.

To clarify myself, I found the article comparing the 615-RT and the RE-01R, however it was a Miata, not an S2000 as I said.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/042007/st-tire-testing-bridgestone-vs-falken.php

However, the author Grassroots Motorsport had another review with more tires, and the Falken 615-RT came out on top, with the RE-01R as 2nd.
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f136/grassroots-motorsports-grippiest-street-tire-test-344939/

So yes, both of them are very good and close, but the best value for your money is probably the Falken 615-RT.
However, I have never riden or owned or driven on them, so I cannot make a personal opinion, this is from online reviews only.

Yes, there's a big difference between supersticky tires with relatively short treadlife and relatively poor wet traction (like the Falken Azenis RT-615 and Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R) and more versatile top-of-the-line tires with longer treadlife and good wet traction. Both categories offer excellent performance, and it's just a matter of where you want to make your trade-offs.

In the latter category, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 is unusual (and unusually attractive) because its dry performance is still reasonably close to the supersticky level, and it's also somewhat less expensive than the top tires from Bridgestone and Michelin.

In the former category, what's striking is that more and more tire companies are jumping into that segment. The new Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 is being replaced by the even newer Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and it's just as good as the RE-01R (i.e. better than the Azenis) at a price that's similar to the Azenis (i.e. lower than the RE-01R). Toyo has introduced its R1R tire in this segment, and Kumho has announced its Ecsta XS. I haven't checked sizes to see whether these new entries have NSX-friendly sizes, which is a big advantage of the Azenis right now.

Incidentally, treadwear ratings are not necessarily a good indication of treadlife. For one thing, they're not comparable between brands, and for another, the manufacturers have a lot of flexibility in assigning these ratings. The Azenis RT-615 is the perfect example of this; it has a treadwear rating of 200, but compared with most tires from most brands, its treadlife is what you would expect with a treadwear rating of 100, not 200. (My personal belief is that Falken assigned a 200 rating because this is a minimum for certain competition series, and they wanted the Azenis to be permitted in those series.)

Yes, there's a big difference between supersticky tires with relatively short treadlife and relatively poor wet traction (like the Falken Azenis RT-615 and Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R) and more versatile top-of-the-line tires with longer treadlife and good wet traction. Both categories offer excellent performance, and it's just a matter of where you want to make your trade-offs.

In the latter category, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 is unusual (and unusually attractive) because its dry performance is still reasonably close to the supersticky level, and it's also somewhat less expensive than the top tires from Bridgestone and Michelin.

In the former category, what's striking is that more and more tire companies are jumping into that segment. The new Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 is being replaced by the even newer Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and it's just as good as the RE-01R (i.e. better than the Azenis) at a price that's similar to the Azenis (i.e. lower than the RE-01R). Toyo has introduced its R1R tire in this segment, and Kumho has announced its Ecsta XS. I haven't checked sizes to see whether these new entries have NSX-friendly sizes, which is a big advantage of the Azenis right now.

Incidentally, treadwear ratings are not necessarily a good indication of treadlife. For one thing, they're not comparable between brands, and for another, the manufacturers have a lot of flexibility in assigning these ratings. The Azenis RT-615 is the perfect example of this; it has a treadwear rating of 200, but compared with most tires from most brands, its treadlife is what you would expect with a treadwear rating of 100, not 200. (My personal belief is that Falken assigned a 200 rating because this is a minimum for certain competition series, and they wanted the Azenis to be permitted in those series.)

Great info and thanks for the Dunlop tip. I think the fronts will be a problem as what other cars wear the 215/40 size? Even most of todays sport compacts where the 225/45. 215/40 is kind of a dinosaur size:frown:

Anyone have any pictures of the Bridgestone Potenza RE070 H0's? I cant seem to find any now :(

Pic of Rear here
Pic of Front Here

If these aren't enough, I can take a picture of the fronts that I have in the garage.

*DROOL* How much is a set of these in that size? I have the same rims on mine...

Also, where did you get the gunmetal ones? or did you have them painted? If so what type of paint / process was used? Thanks man! and yea id love to see more pics of the rims and tires :)

*DROOL* How much is a set of these in that size? I have the same rims on mine...

Also, where did you get the gunmetal ones? or did you have them painted? If so what type of paint / process was used? Thanks man! and yea id love to see more pics of the rims and tires :)

Those rims in the pics were taken in Japan.

As for the gunmetal rims, those are the OEM Washi Grey wheels. I've got a set, which I had a friend order for me in Japan, and I brought back with me on the plane. The RE070 H0 tires are only available in Japan, and are roughly $375 a piece.

Those rims in the pics were taken in Japan.

As for the gunmetal rims, those are the OEM Washi Grey wheels. I've got a set, which I had a friend order for me in Japan, and I brought back with me on the plane. The RE070 H0 tires are only available in Japan, and are roughly $375 a piece.

Oh wow Ben I've been searching for a set of the gray wheels with no success. Do you know the paint code for the "Washi Gray"?

Also my RE070s should be arriving any day here's a pic of the tread pattern. Ben can you tell the difference?
Myre070sonwhitensx-rwheels.jpg

.....and here are what the OEM RE040 HO 255/40-17's look like. Unlike the RE010 which were both directional and corner specific in the OEM 16/17's, the RE040's are only directional. Got these at TireRack last week (4/2/08) @ $209 ea + shipping......

Tires.jpg

Last edited:
the oem re040's (ho version) are both directional AND corner specific

I just replaced them on my 05 and there were 4 specific part number from bridgestone.

the oem re040's (ho version) are both directional AND corner specific

I just replaced them on my 05 and there were 4 specific part number from bridgestone.

I looked over the tires I just received plus the ones on my car that I'm replacing (the OEM RE040) and I remember on the RE010's on earlier NSX's it specifically said "outside" and the direction arrow.....neither the new tires or the existing ones that came on my car new had any reference printed on them as to either inside or outside but they do show direction....do yours?

One other question...did all the '05's come with RE040's as OEM and what about on the '02-'04's...those too? Where did the RE050- 2 separate models (?) come into play (as OEM?) and what's the diff between those 2 and the RE040's?

Last edited:
first question: to tell which tire goes where you need to call tire rack and have them tell you the part numbers for all four tires. then look at the sticker on the tread of the tire and you will see the corresponding part number on the tire. USE a marker and write on the sticker the corner of the car (LRear etc) once you have decoded it else you run the risk of the tire shop installing them incorrectly

I believe 02-05's all came with RE040 - ho tires.

the RE050's were never oem on the nsx. they are oem on the s2000 from 2004-2008. but even in this case when you order s2000 tires you need to specify honda oem version as they are different.

HTH

tom

Oh wow Ben I've been searching for a set of the gray wheels with no success. Do you know the paint code for the "Washi Gray"?

Also my RE070s should be arriving any day here's a pic of the tread pattern. Ben can you tell the difference?
Myre070sonwhitensx-rwheels.jpg

What difference am I looking for? It looks like a very worn set of RE070s.

Paint code for Washi Grey, I might have it, but not on me in the office. If you remind me in the evening, I can look for it.

What difference am I looking for? It looks like a very worn set of RE070s.

Paint code for Washi Grey, I might have it, but not on me in the office. If you remind me in the evening, I can look for it.

I was wondering if you could see the tread pattern differences. Yeah I didn't mind the rears being worn as I too thought I could get replacements from tirerack:mad:

Oh well yes I'll shoot you a pm this evening!

I was wondering if you could see the tread pattern differences. Yeah I didn't mind the rears being worn as I too thought I could get replacements from tirerack:mad:

Oh well yes I'll shoot you a pm this evening!

Differences to what? You mean the difference between RE070 and the RE070 H0? What is in the picture?

Differences to what? You mean the difference between RE070 and the RE070 H0? What is in the picture?

Yes! I believe these are the H0 in the picture. I'll see if I can blow up the picture of the NSX-R RE070s in my NSX-R rochure.

Yes! I believe these are the H0 in the picture. I'll see if I can blow up the picture of the NSX-R RE070s in my NSX-R rochure.

I've got a couple front H0's in my garage. I can take some pics of them, and you can compare it to the RE070 from the STI on the Tire Rack website, they have a high resolution image. On casual glance, I don't see any difference in the tread. The difference appears to be in the directional mounting and each tire being corner specific on the H0. So, probably something in the casing or internal to the tire that would make them corner specific.

to tell which tire goes where you need to call tire rack and have them tell you the part numbers for all four tires. then look at the sticker on the tread of the tire and you will see the corresponding part number on the tire.
Per Bridgestone's specs, the part numbers are:

Left Front 215/40-17: 117455
Right Front 215/40-17: 117641
Left Rear 255/40-17: 117927
Right Rear 255/40-17: 117935

.....and here are what the OEM RE040 HO 255/40-17's look like. Unlike the RE010 which were both directional and corner specific in the OEM 16/17's, the RE040's are only directional. Got these at TireRack last week (4/2/08) @ $209 ea + shipping......

Tires.jpg

In the above photo you can see the lower tire clearly has the Catalog #117-927 which is the left rear per Ken Sax's post but the upper tire had a totally different type of Bridgestone sticker for the RE040 HO listing no catalog number so I wasn't sure if it was actually the for the right rear or not....I called Tire Rack and they said there was also a number stamped into the tire after the DOT EJUY code....

Left rear CMN 3906
Right rear CMD 3406

I'm not sure if these are a specific serial# or not but it at least now I know for sure where they go......

Back