• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need DLP recommendations

I know Samsung makes a 60+" DLP (I think it's either 61" or 63"). I have the 50" and it is amazing. The only thing I would not suggest you do is use it for gaming. I tried playing Halo 2 on mine and noticed a slight delay on the controls. Not a huge delay, but one that was noticable. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming. Also, the remote kinda stinks.

The only other major drawback is the bulbs tend to burn out within 2 years. Some people had bulbs burning out quicker, but the problem there was they hooked the TV right into their Digital cable boxes. When they turned off the cable box, the cable box turned off the TV immediately and cut off power to the bulb. The bulb needs time to cool down, but since the box was cutting off the power immeditaly, the bulbs didn't have the proper time to cool and were breaking. At least, this is how is was explained to me by my cousin who does TV repair.

Other than that, the sound quality from the speakers is good (but you'll probably upgrade those anyway so that point is kinda moot), has inputs for everything (PC monitor, HDMI, S vid, etc.), and is way cheaper than a comparable Sony. So the Samsung gets my vote. C

Go look at Sony's new TV's using the latest technology. They look better than both LCD and DLP. They are based on LCOS (liquid Crystal on Silicon) but I think they are called SRXD.

They have much better black levels.

I bought a 2nd generation Samsung 50" DLP 2-3 years ago, and love it. I would recommend the extended warranty, as I had to have the color wheel replaced as it was whistling.

I have a Panasonic 60" DLP that I got earlier this year and love it. Some people complain about DLP fan noise and also potentially about the "rainbow effect" due to the color wheel but I haven't had a problem with either. I have mine in a basement home theatre area so ambient light is never an issue. Viewing distance is probably about 8-9 feet away.

I think Panasonic was the only vendor to make both LCD and DLP RP televisions and I'm not sure they even make a 2005 60" DLP any more. Mine was a late 2004 model/early 2005 model. I also picked up the Panasonic S97 upconverting DVD player with the Faroudja technology that everyone raved about and it's been awesome. The TV only has one HDMI input so I run the DVD into the TV with an HDMI cable and run the STB (Motorolla PVR cable box) in using component cables since it only has DVI/component outputs. I also have a low end Pany Home Theatre system because I couldn't find anything at a reasonable price that would do the HDMI/DVI video switching .. which makes the switch from STB to DVD (and back) a multi-step PITA operation.

Here's a site that I often visit that has a wide range of information on home theatre topics. They also have forums organized by vendor so you can have a look at the Panasonic forum. It's a Canadian site but I don't think the majority of the information is country specific.
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/

Hi Frank,

I have a 62" (65"?) Toshiba. I've had it for less than a year and haven't had any problems so far. I have no complaints. Let me know when you decide on what you want... I have a friend in the business. :wink:

Get the Sony KDSR60XBR1. This is hands down the best 60" tv you can possibly get that isn't plasma at the moment. I've done research on this television and this happens to be on top of my wish list. read the reviews and demo the unit at the stores. You will not be disappointed.

Pickup a Samsung at Costco..

Are you aware of the implications of what you are stating? You're saying that there's a noticeable delay in the rendering of the input signal from realtime. This should absolutely not be the case, as video gear needs to be the same latency (i.e., imperceptible) as audio gear or else it will be impossible to watch movies.

It might be the case that your Xbox, while running at a higher resolution on your HDTV, is lagging on the responsiveness because of the increased CPU and GPU loads. This is most likely what's happening.

Or do you mean there's ghosting, like in older LCDs? I've never seen a DLP ghost, as it doesn't really quite make sense for the type of technology that's being used. The DLP mirror array refreshes very fast, and there's no phosphor persistence on the screen.

ccns23 said:
The only thing I would not suggest you do is use it for gaming. I tried playing Halo 2 on mine and noticed a slight delay on the controls. Not a huge delay, but one that was noticable.

Mike Hughes said:
Are you aware of the implications of what you are stating? You're saying that there's a noticeable delay in the rendering of the input signal from realtime. This should absolutely not be the case, as video gear needs to be the same latency (i.e., imperceptible) as audio gear or else it will be impossible to watch movies.

It might be the case that your Xbox, while running at a higher resolution on your HDTV, is lagging on the responsiveness because of the increased CPU and GPU loads. This is most likely what's happening.

Or do you mean there's ghosting, like in older LCDs? I've never seen a DLP ghost, as it doesn't really quite make sense for the type of technology that's being used. The DLP mirror array refreshes very fast, and there's no phosphor persistence on the screen.

Sorry I'm not a techno geek. Maybe I used the wrong word. The point was, when lets say I tried to pan left or right in Halo 2 with a sniper scope, I noticed a slight delay between when I pressed left or right on the joystick and then the screen moved. Again, not a huge difference, but a definately lag. What caused this I have no idea.....what you suggested above sounds viable.

ccns23 said:
Sorry I'm not a techno geek. Maybe I used the wrong word. The point was, when lets say I tried to pan left or right in Halo 2 with a sniper scope, I noticed a slight delay between when I pressed left or right on the joystick and then the screen moved. Again, not a huge difference, but a definately lag. What caused this I have no idea.....what you suggested above sounds viable.
Here's a thread about DLP lag, might shed some insight.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=622379

Thanks for the info.

I just got the 61 inch HD-ILA from JVC...It is JVC's own version of the DLP on LCoS...It's the BOMB!!!! I got the best price on Bizrate.com...from buydig.com, saved a grand over BestBuy's price:biggrin:

look for ones w/ anti-glare screens...

The 62" Toshiba DLP seems to be the pick for now, IMHO... as Redshift stated.

We have a 52" Toshiba DLP, last month the bulb vaporized, lol. This occurred at exactly the 6th month of ownership/usage. We had an extended service-plan and got a tech. to see the TV and get a bulb drop-ship to our door overnite. A phone call to Toshiba got another spare bulb delivered a few days later to eliminate future downtime.

The nite the bulb blew, my dad was to watch the final cricket test-series match which he had paid a few hundred dollars in PPV (month-long series of matches leading to this final). Wait, it gets worse. Assuming that if you order a PPV program, you can view it on all your satelite receivers. Nope. Unless asked prior to ordering the programming, the PPV event will only be sent to the primary receiver; swapping cards won't even work. Yups. What a way to find out about this little obscure fine-print. Oh yea, the dish service provider doesn't answer the phone at nite.

awww cmon frank, I'm dissapointed you didn't ask me..

and btw you should come by and see what another $5k adds to my existing setup.. :)

peiserg said:
awww cmon frank, I'm dissapointed you didn't ask me..

and btw you should come by and see what another $5k adds to my existing setup.. :)
Hehe I'm afraid seeing your setup will cause me to overspend my budget. :biggrin:

Here's an idea, instead of buying my own, I'll just be over every night to watch your system. :tongue:

Got the Statement D1, nice piece, but not sure if it is better than my Krell unit. Will have to wait and see after Krell is out of the shop.

Tim

If you can't see the rainbow effect from the spinning color wheel, DLP is the way to go. But it was a deal breaker for me. Of the DLP's I looked at Misubishi always seemed to have the best PQ and UI, and HP has a pretty strong entry also. I've been looking the last two years and finally pulled the trigger on the 60 Sony SXRD. Stunning PQ! Good luck, but be warned, it starts a vicious upgrade cycle.

Back