• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help aftermarket radio question

Hi,

So I wanted to replace my oem stereo with an Sony aftermarket one and use the stock speakers and amps. I bought the SOS harness (aftermarket to stock amp/speaker) that has the RCA plugs. I connected all the wires from the SOS harness to the sony stereo and plugged the RCA plugs to the amp preouts on the Sony. I turned on the radio and everything turn on but there's no sound. So on the sony harness the 8 speaker wires dont connect to anything since im using the RCA's is this right? Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.

note: all the oem equipment is working fine before just wanted to upgrade the stereo unit.

Did you connect power to the blue wire that makes the antenna go up? That wire also powers up the factory amps.

And you are correct that you would not connect the speaker outputs of the deck.

Jwmelvin - Thanks yup it was that blue wire. Now I get sound.

another issue now whenever I change the station or even to the next track on the cd I get a popping sound? Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thx!

Last edited:
That I do not know. With my iPhone plugged directly into the amps I only get a pop when I plug it in. Seems odd that the line outs of your deck would make a pop.
-Jason

I think the amp turn on lead is switching on and off. What did you hook it up to? You need to hook it up to 12V that does not switch on and off. Try hooking up to something that has constant 12V and try running the radio and see if it goes away. If not you may have a ground issue, but I think it's the positive lead that is making the antenna and amps go on... Hook that up to another wire with constant 12V as a test.

Don't permanently connect the turn on lead to 12V or the amp will never shut off and you'll drain your battery. You need to connect it to a switched source like IGN .. which should be one of the OEM radio power sources.

There are 4 RCAs total. Each box per 2 rcas.
Actually .. believe it or not, the OEM head unit only has a left and right channel out. Left channel goes to left door .. right channel goes to right door .. and both go to the sub amp which merges the two for the rear/center speaker ...and extracts the low freqs from both to go to the sub. You can check the electrical diagrams if you don't believe me.

I believe you. I just never look at it in depth that way. I guess the OP can try 1 unit first and see. I might try that the next time I remove the console. Two unit get tight behind the stereo. Well, it was suggested that I get 2 when I was installing my stereo. Which was why I bought 2 instead of one..

Thanks for the clarification.

IWantNSX is correct. You would need 2 since the SOS harness has 4 RCA- 2 for each channel. I just finished installing a Kenwood unit. I can live with the pop sound so I won't be installing any noise filter.

IWantNSX is correct. You would need 2 since the SOS harness has 4 RCA- 2 for each channel. I just finished installing a Kenwood unit. I can live with the pop sound so I won't be installing any noise filter.
I don't disagree that the aftermarket to OEM amps/speakers harness has 4 RCA .. but the OEM head to aftermarket amp harness only has two, which confirms my point that there are only two OEM channels. Now maybe your aftermarket amp has two extra outputs for rear speakers (which there aren't any of) but I suspect that the harness just sends them to the subwoofer amp where they get merged and used for the center speaker and the lows get filtered off for the sub, in which case you might want the 2 sets. However, you're really just kidding yourself by trying to drive 4 channels into a speaker system designed as 2 channels.

There are four inputs to the post-deck factory system. But pairing the front and rear inputs is how the system seems designed to work (thus that is why the OEM-head to aftermarket-amp harness has only two outputs: because the OEM-head only has two outputs). Therefore, if you want to put a ground isolator in line, it will work just as well to use a Y-cable to combine your signals before the isolator; it should be cheaper than buying two isolators. Your aftermarket deck should not have an issue with front and rear combined together.

In my iPhone-only system, each output (left and right) from the iPhone drive both the front and rear inputs into the factory system. That way the sub and center speaker work. The only benefit to using four outputs from an aftermarket deck is that you can balance the signal between the sub-center and door speakers. With two-channel output, you can EQ the system but that is a bit different. Since the system was designed to run from only two outputs from the OEM-head, the sub-center amps are already balanced with the door amps, so there really isn't much need for four outputs if you are using the factory amps.

Back