• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need help! broken bolt

Hello,

Do you guys know any good shop / mechanic or enthusiasts that can help me with my bmw x5 2002. When we were installing the water pump we broken two long bolts. Anyone will extracting experience? i live in fremont area. The bolt is pretty long around 5 inches! any help would appreciated! :)

myles

Do you have a picture? Did the head break off the thread or did the bolt break in the middle of the thread? If the head broke off, you may be able to get a nail set and slowly back tap the thread of the bolt. It happened to me before on another car where the head broke off and the thread was stuck in the engine block. I was able to back tap a portion of the thread and then used a vise grip to unscrew the rest of the bolt out of the engine block. Good luck.

Sounds like the bolt is broken off with just the threaded part still in the hole but without any of the shank exposed, otherwise he'd just use vice grips to get it out.

What's needed is a bolt extraction kit, commonly referred to As an easy-out kit. The thing about these is that you need to drill into the bolt and access is typically not sufficient where a water pump is. Sometimes you have to take the piece that the bolt is stuck in to gain enough access.

Does the water pump on a BMW bolt onto a timing cover? If you can't access the bolts to use an easy out, you'll have to remove the timing cover to gain access. Go to sears to see what an easy out kit is and how it works then once you know how to use it see if you have clearance to do it on the car and if not then gain clearance by removing surrounding parts or removing the timing cover with the stuck bolts. Then find a place that will rent you the easy out kit. Maybe centerville rents or a cresco or maybe even a kragen auto if they still rent tools. Or ask around to see if someone you know has one. Then when the bolts are out, run a tap through the holes to clean up the threads before installing new bolts.

BTW, how did this happen? Did you over torque them, or did this happen while removing the bolts? Reason I want to know is this has happened to me before on a different car and at a different place while removing bolts after a short drive that I had just torqued to spec before the drive. The only reason I could figure why was because it was a steel bolt in aluminum and they expanded differently from the heat of the engine, making the threads slightly off from when they were cold.

J

Back