• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help from tech gurus..re: EXPLORER issue

I'm in need of some help from any of you tech gurus out there. I am currently using Microsoft Explorer 6.0 (latest version with all updates) on Win XP Home Edition. I also have the latest Java software installed.

My problem is this: just recently, when I visit sites, I have noticed that the graphics portion do not show, instead a red 'X' appears, or a broken link. This just started recently, I have never had this problem before. This does not happen all the time, but probably 30% of the sites I visit will have broken links.

I use my computer mainly for the internet, so I have nothing 'fancy' installed. I regularly clean my system of spyware, viruses, etc. And I have never fooled around with the OPTIONS toolbox in Explorer.

And finally, sometimes when I go to a site, it says at the bottom of my screen, "Done, but with errors on page..." Again, I never got this message before...

Any clues?

Are the missing graphics just on sites that you have visited previously? When you go to a site that you have never been to before does all of the graphics display correctly?

If so then you probably have some pointers in you cache of graphic files corrupted. Go into the tools, internet options and press the delete files button and press Ok.

Let me know if this help.

I had similar problems with images in Explorer with Windows XP. Usually if I opened a new browser window the problem would go away temporarily.

I checked for viruses and spyware but the problem remained. Then I went to the Microsoft site to download updates to my system, which I had not done for some time. The problem has not reappeared since then(several months ago). Occasionally(very occasionally) Microsoft does apparently get something right.

Flash?

Are you certain its images that aren't being displayed. A lot of sites use "Flash" from Macromedia. If that is uninstalled for some reason and its not prompting you to install - then you'd just feel like you reached a dead end with a red X. I'd suggest installing (or re-installing) the Flash plugin for IE. Make sure you visit www.windowsupdate.com - often to get any updates MS might have available.

Back