• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need help with clutch!

HI, i have a 1991 nsx, my clutch was feeling fine and everything, but one day it changed drastically from one night to another. i would press the clutch pedal half way till you would feel it starts disengaging, but i wouldnt have any problems changing gears. another night pass and now it feels even softer but now i have trouble selecting first gear...what can be the problem.

i wonder if i need to replace the clutch, or can it be the clutch master cylinder or clutch oil level?......how can i troubleshoot it?

Re: Need help with clutch!!!!!

Hows the fluid level? The smaller brake fluid cap to the right of the larger one just under the hood not the large ABS one further down is your fliud cap for the clutch. see below

UnderHood12.jpg

i havent checked the little container under the hood to check the fluid level but i looked under the dashboard and noticed some leaking from the clutch pedal///what part is this?,,and could this be the cause of it?

yeah, thats your master cylinder leaking. Not too hard to replace, just tight quarters up there. Might be worth taking drivers seat out if you are having trouble getting to the 2 nuts that hold it on behind the pedal. I also installed a speed bleeder on the slave at the same time to make bleeding the system much easier.

Based on your questions and responses I'd say you're going to take this to someone to have it fixed. Have them replace the clutch master cylinder. And bleed the system at the slave cylinder. Many recommend to replace the slave cylinder at the same time as the master cylinder. Your call on that one.

i already ordered the clutch master and slave cylinder, what kinda oil do you guys recommend me to put on it afterwards?

Not oil, hydraulic/brake fluid. Dot 4 is recommended in all the hydraulics on this car. You'll get all sorts of suggestions on this. My recommendation is ATE Super Blue in all systems. It's inexspensive and performs well.

Back