• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Need new clutch kit

I need a new clutch kit. Car is a slightly modified with headers and exhaust. What is out there and since I drive like a grandpa, would like this set to last a long time? Heard about SOS sport clutches, but are they just rebadged RPS? Trying to avoid RPS as had bad experience with them recently. Thank you for your responses.

I am 99% sure I'm going to have a BNIB Comptech PG1 clutch for sale. My understanding is that it is a a close to OEM engagement without a mushy pedal (that's just what I've been told). Either way, comptech doesn't build crap and that's the logic that I used when I purchased it over a other popular sport clutch.

If I had a NA1 I would have probably considered OEM; however, the drastic increase in price to the NA2 OEM clutches made me look at alternates (too bad I never got to install it)

I am 99% sure I'm going to have a BNIB Comptech PG1 clutch for sale. My understanding is that it is a a close to OEM engagement without a mushy pedal (that's just what I've been told). Either way, comptech doesn't build crap and that's the logic that I used when I purchased it over a other popular sport clutch.

If I had a NA1 I would have probably considered OEM; however, the drastic increase in price to the NA2 OEM clutches made me look at alternates (too bad I never got to install it)

I have a NA2 so OEM is out of the question. How is the pedal pressure and longevity on the Comptech? No one was able to drive my car when it had the RPS, because of stiff clutch pedal.

What is your overall plan for your car? Just street, under 300rwph? The pg1 or stock clutch will do fine.

Do you plan on adding SC or Turbo down the road? This may also be a good time to add a oil pan baffle.

I have a SOS sport 6 puck which is similar to the PG2. It can hold 400+hp. Just a caution, 6 pucks have somewhat aggressive engagement.

What is your overall plan for your car? Just street, under 300rwph? The pg1 or stock clutch will do fine.

Do you plan on adding SC or Turbo down the road? This may also be a good time to add a oil pan baffle.

I have a SOS sport 6 puck which is similar to the PG2. It can hold 400+hp. Just a caution, 6 pucks have somewhat aggressive engagement.

Plan is just to keep it as is. Just want something that will last much longer then the 10k I got out of the RPS and also have close to stock pedal feel. SOS has a few good options, but they look similar to the RPS sets or I would of just bought it from SOS.

When My first clutch when out I replaced it with a stock clutch....it lasted 15 years on a car with headers and exhaust. Once I added the SC the stock clutch started slipping with all the additional Torque..so I went with the ScienceofSpeed Sport 350 Clutch & Flywheel Kit. This clutch feels pretty much stock, only it grabs earlier and holds through the new torque curve, which is what I needed.

If you are staying with stock/current power the stock clutch will be more than sufficient....if you plan to ad any power, you will probably have to upgrade to some other performance clutch. IMO

I have a NA2 so OEM is out of the question. How is the pedal pressure and longevity on the Comptech? No one was able to drive my car when it had the RPS, because of stiff clutch pedal.

I know it was made as a OEM replacement so I'm sure it has great longevity. Mark at Dali said it doesn't chatter and the pedal is slightly more firm than stock.

If you want it LMK, I was more than likely going to sell it soon since I'm selling my whole car.

I was in the same boat, wanted a no BS normal driving clutch and not a boy racer one. I was deciding between the PG1 and the SoS sport, I caught a few negative reviews and decided it wasn't worth it. Comptech built a great reputation through the years IMO.

Last edited:
Our Sport 275 Clutch & Flywheel was made specifically for customers like you. Stock like pedal feel and engagement with a sportier feel due to the lighter clutch/flywheel. Give me a call so I can understand your prior problem, and make sure you get taken care of.

cheers,
-- Chris

Our Sport 275 Clutch & Flywheel was made specifically for customers like you. Stock like pedal feel and engagement with a sportier feel due to the lighter clutch/flywheel. Give me a call so I can understand your prior problem, and make sure you get taken care of.

cheers,
-- Chris
I believe theres been some good reviews here on this clutch.

I've heard good and bad reviews on the SOS sports clutch. With that said, I've driven one. The engagement is super stocklike. Absolutely zero chatter and good holding power on a bone stock CTSC. It is a bit mushy and I did feel the pedal was *slightly* stiffer than stock on a 6speed. Engagement was a bit low but not a big deal at all. I was impressed with it if you're looking for a stock-like replacement. Though if you want something with more of a "peppy" feel and more crisp engagement i'd look around a bit more and go to car meets and try a few.

Btw.. when I say mushy its sort of a kin to one liking the stock suspension vs. a set of coilovers. It's not a bad thing.. more of preference.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I've heard good and bad reviews on the SOS sports clutch. With that said, I've driven one. The engagement is super stocklike. Absolutely zero chatter and good holding power on a bone stock CTSC. It is a bit mushy and I did feel the pedal was *slightly* stiffer than stock on a 6speed. Engagement was a bit low but not a big deal at all. I was impressed with it if you're looking for a stock-like replacement. Though if you want something with more of a "peppy" feel and more crisp engagement i'd look around a bit more and go to car meets and try a few.

Btw.. when I say mushy its sort of a kin to one liking the stock suspension vs. a set of coilovers. It's not a bad thing.. more of preference.

Just my $0.02.

Thank you for your feedback. There is one customer I am aware of who has been very vocal in his dissatisfaction (which I think you are referring to). He blew off the clutch's disc liners. Despite being definitely not a clutch failure, and rather a mis-shift problem, and being out of warranty, we offered to cover the cost of parts. He wanted a new clutch instead - which we were unable to do. Clutches are a hard item to sell, because their function and durability depends so much on proper installation and driving. Regardless of the cause, it is always the parts problem however.

These clutches are one of our top selling items, and with several hundred in the field our customers we have many satisfied customers. By using the high quality components - pressure plates (made by the same company in Japan that makes the factory units) and discs, etc. we're able to offer a clutch that we stand behind (and use in our own cars).

cheers,
-- Chris

I was impressed with the engagement. Very very smooth.

Thanks for your continued R&D on our aging platform. You guys put out great products. Let's hope Honda puts out a BRZ competitor that you guys can work on. Hopefully can spread out some of that R&D cost!
Thank you for your feedback. There is one customer I am aware of who has been very vocal in his dissatisfaction (which I think you are referring to). He blew off the clutch's disc liners. Despite being definitely not a clutch failure, and rather a mis-shift problem, and being out of warranty, we offered to cover the cost of parts. He wanted a new clutch instead - which we were unable to do. Clutches are a hard item to sell, because their function and durability depends so much on proper installation and driving. Regardless of the cause, it is always the parts problem however.

These clutches are one of our top selling items, and with several hundred in the field our customers we have many satisfied customers. By using the high quality components - pressure plates (made by the same company in Japan that makes the factory units) and discs, etc. we're able to offer a clutch that we stand behind (and use in our own cars).

cheers,
-- Chris

Back