• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

need new tires for 16/17 wheels

I have a '93 NSX with stock '94 7-spoke 16/17 wheels and I need new tires. Currently I have Kumho ecsta front 225 45 16 and rear 245 40 17 tires. For as long as I have had these, I've had the TCS kick in with acceleration. I have always thought that this was because of the wrong sized front tires. I just am now realizing that the front tires diameter is right but they are slightly wider than stock, which shouldn't affect the TCS I don't think.Now I'm wondering whether the TCS will continue to kick in even if I get correctly sized stock tires? Is there any tire size combo for stock '94 wheels on my '93 car that won't trigger the TCS?

The problem is indeed with the tire sizes you have chosen, with front tires whose diameter is 3.9 percent larger than stock and rears 0.6 percent smaller than stock. Stick with any of these sizes and you won't have problems with the TCS:

Front: 205/45-16 or 215/45-16
Rear: 245/40-17 or 255/40-17

Although any combination of those sizes will work without TCS problems, for the best handling I'd avoid using the 205 front with the 255 rear.

As for specific tires, there are numerous 16"/17" choices for the supersticky "extreme performance" tires, including 205 fronts with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and Toyo Proxes R1R and 215 fronts with the Kumho Ecsta XS and Falken Azenis RT-615K. For super-crisp handling, the corner-specific Bridgestone Potenza RE010 (the OEM tire for '94-01) is also still available. There aren't any "maximum performance" tires in these sizes, so if you want longer treadlife than these other tires provide, you'll be making a significant step down in performance to an "ultra high performance" tire, the best of which is the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport.

Last edited:
The problem is indeed with the tire sizes you have chosen, with front tires whose diameter is 3.9 percent larger than stock and rears 0.6 percent smaller than stock. Stick with any of these sizes and you won't have problems with the TCS:

Front: 205/45-16 or 215/45-16
Rear: 245/40-17 or 255/40-17

Although any combination of those sizes will work without TCS problems, for the best handling I'd avoid using the 205 front with the 255 rear.

As for specific tires, there are numerous 16"/17" choices for the supersticky "extreme performance" tires, including 205 fronts with the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 and Toyo Proxes R1R and 215 fronts with the Kumho Ecsta XS and Falken Azenis RT-615K. For super-crisp handling, the corner-specific Bridgestone Potenza RE010 (the OEM tire for '94-01) is also still available. There aren't any "maximum performance" tires in these sizes, so if you want longer treadlife than these other tires provide, you'll be making a significant step down in performance to an "ultra high performance" tire, the best of which is the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport.

Thank you. I ordered a set of the Kumhos today.

Hey Guys I need advice, I was thinking about switching rims:

would 225/45/16 on a 16x8 front
and
255/40/17 on a 17x10 rear work without any issues?

What would be a decent offset to get a flush look on said widths?

Back