• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need some unbiased opinions...

CLK430 Cabriolet or BMW M3 Cabriolet?

I currently own a Magma Red Mercedes CLK430 Cabriolet that I've lowered and installed 18" wheels on, but am on the list for a new 2001 M3 Cabriolet (and have been since early last year). Just today I found out that I've moved up from #8 on the list to #5 (3 drop-offs so far, probably due to the financial markets). The first car is at port ready to be trucked in, and the second is being built shortly. At this rate, my M3 Cab should be available to me perhaps as early as July (or August).

Finally, my question: Should I keep my CLK or sell it and buy the M3 Cab? The thought of a 333 hp, 6 speed 4 passenger convertible (BMW) is sure enticing, but the CLK (at least to me) is a far better and more impressive looking car.

I'm really torn as to what to do, so I'd sure appreciate everyones input.

Mike

PS...Still loving my 18,000 mile NSX I just bought. I've already installed a set of SSR Integral wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport tires, and am now getting ready to dress up the engine bay a bit.

Doesn't sound like you can go too wrong, everyone should have your problems!
smile.gif

I loved everything about my CLK but gave it up because I can't live with an auto tranny. And IMO the BMW has a definite sportier overall feel, much more of a driver's car.

But then again you are keeping the NSX, so that and the CLK should be just ideal.

For example, I would rather have my NSX and a 540i/M5 rather than an NSX and M3.

Unless you really feel the need to own a sedan that screams, I would stick with the Merc. They are such beautiful, classy converatibles and are built like bank vaults. I have had several opportunities to swap my C43 for an M3, but I have become used to the amazinly solid feel of the car.

If you have to have more ponies, Stillen makes a Vortec system for the 4.3L Merc motor. Over 400hp.

The E46 M3 will be a beautiful piece of work on display or on the road. However, keep in mind that this is a first year E46 model for the M3, as well as a brand spanking new engine. I wouldn't expect to have a trouble-free car. People I know that bought the new X5s, have been plagued with problems like rattles/squeaks, engine, tranny, etc.

Awhile ago, I rememeber hearing something about the new M3 tranny where it had problems with maintaining such high rpms. I can't remember the specifics, but it had something to do with bent pistons, rods, or something like that.

Not a bad dilemma your in. I was in the mercedes dealer this weekend they had a 430 clk cabriolet in silver with chrome rims. awesome is all i can say. i would def. keep the 430!
good luck
Paul M

Back