• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Brakes, New Rotors=Difficulty stopping. Clueless?

So I just installed StopTech slotted rotors and Hawk HP+ (not HPS) pads, and I have a different problem...

If I stand on the pedal, I'm actually able to lock up the wheels for a good second before ABS kicks in and saves my butt. Shortly thereafter I hear the chattering - presumably the pump running to re-pressurize the system?

But, really, should I be able to lock up the wheels? Is there any tweaking of the brake system that can be done so that a full panic-brake stand on the pedal doesn't turn the car into a hockey puck?

Kumho Ecsta XS on the front, Michelin Pilot Super Sports in the back, dry.

I haven't been impressed with the Hawk's I've used in the past.

I'm fully converted to the largest brake pad maker in the world - EBC and never looked back.

There is one pad that I keep hearing more and more about that is suppose to be superior - Carbotech.

Any opinions?

Those are sticky tires, so in the dry they should not be easy to lock up. So there is a problem.

Anything is easy to lock up if you "stand on the brakes" (push as hard as you can) as bngl3rt says he is doing. If not, there is REALLY something wrong with the brakes.

My experience with ABS is that the tires can lock up before ABS engages (to some degree this is what engages ABS) with older systems enough to be perceptible. But a second is WAY WAY WAY too long.

Interesting. The ABS light doesn't necessarily come on every time the ABS engages, right? I certainly "feel" the ABS working through the pedal almost instantaneously, but have to stand on it for quite a while (2+ seconds) to get the light to come on.

Interesting. The ABS light doesn't necessarily come on every time the ABS engages, right? I certainly "feel" the ABS working through the pedal almost instantaneously, but have to stand on it for quite a while (2+ seconds) to get the light to come on.

i would imagine it's only a problem indicator and shouldn't come on during normal use? here's a quote from the owner's manual:

If the ABS indicator comes on, theanti-lock function of the braking
system has shut down. The brakes
still work like a conventional system,
but without anti-lock. You should
have your dealer inspect your vehicle
as soon as possible.

but perhaps it comes on if the system is repressurizing

Ah, ok, so the light is only coming on when I've stood on the brakes long enough to deplete all the pressure in the system.

Still, it's way too easy to lock up my wheels with these brakes (not that I'm in the habit of brake-stand-panic-braking during normal driving, but you know, it happens...). I didn't flush the fluid yet and I didn't install the rears either - I am a bit hesitant to install the rears if it's going to be this easy to lock up all four wheels at once.

The early NSXs had the first generation ABS system. It's extremely slow at reacting and when it does it works kind of crappy by today's ABS standards. There's also a good chance that being as old as it is, it needs to be serviced or replaced. You could do is upgrade the ABS to the 2000+ spec NA2 ABS system.
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/...ts/NSX/ScienceofSpeed/NA2_ABS_System_Upgrade/

Otherwise, I'd say your best bet is to train yourself to threshold brake in panic situations.

Lastly, the fact that you are locking up the brakes is a good indication of good braking force in my mind. If you can do that with the tires you have on a level, dry, ashpalt surface, that says that the brakes are pretty damn strong and not the weak part of the braking system. Sounds to me like the issue is in the ABS unit, the tire traction you have, or the surface you're braking on.

Last edited:
I didn't flush the fluid yet and I didn't install the rears either - I am a bit hesitant to install the rears if it's going to be this easy to lock up all four wheels at once.

I think we now have some relevant info. With Hawks only on the front your brakes are very imbalanced. Install the rears also, bed them in properly, and you'll be good.

and at the very least take this opportunity to flush the system you shoud have done this anyway by now since youve gone to the trouble of doing the rest of it

and at the very least take this opportunity to flush the system you shoud have done this anyway by now since youve gone to the trouble of doing the rest of it

Yep, rear pads/rotors and new fluid are going in as soon as I have time.

Back