• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New clutch questions

Hi all,
I just had a Clutchmaster Stage 4 put in my 94 (55K miles). This is the first time I've had a new clutch in the car (bought car with clutch worn). My questions are this...

1) My factory clutch that was taken out would engage like any other clutch I have driven with no problem (release the clutch as you apply throttle). This worked for 5K miles that I had the old clutch. Now, I have the new clutch in the car and the clutch "shudders" on take-off (only in 1st gear). I've tried engaging at higher and lower RPMs but this didn't seem to correct it. I searched the site and found that some other NSXes with aftermarket clutches get a shudder and "blip" the throttle before full clutch release. I will try this today and see if it works for me. Any other ideas?

Next question:
2) I have been having trouble getting the car into gear when the car is at a standstill with the clutch fully pressed in. It won't go into gear easily (especially 1st or reverse). This happens whether the car has been parked for some time or if I am at a stoplight. However, when the car is moving, the shifting is just fine, no difficulty with the gears or shifting. Whats my problem here? Thanks for any help, its really getting aggravating.

------------------
94 Red/Black

1)It's fairly common to experience this shuddering on a newly installed performance/race clutch. This can also be related to your driving habits with the stock clutch. A performance clutch is designed to have a much better grip by material compound and clamping force.When partially releasing the clutch, rather than slipping smoothly like a worn out one will, the new clutch wants to grab but can't because the clutch isn't fully released. For now, work on either being on the clutch or off the clutch, rather trying to achieve a smooth take off.

2)This can be several things...but I can easily assume it is within your clutch hydraulic system. First check the adjustment rod at the pedal and bleed your clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder.(This already should have been done with your clutch install) If this dosen't help, you should consider replacing both of them.

Choritsu-shi
wink.gif

Sensei,
Thanks for the post. I tried "blipping" the throttle yesterday when I was out but its kinda difficult to do this after years of releasing the clutch differently. Its like relearning all over again but I'm glad to hear that there may be a way I can get better take-offs and its not the clutch that is messed up. Its tough though, do I blip the throttle then let it out easy WHILE giving throttle or let it catch almost completely, THEN give throttle? Its tough b/c it grips so hard (which is good in another view). Its just hard to not "jump" the car forward or stall it if I let the RPM drop too much. I'll keep practicing.
smile.gif

Next, the hydraulic system. I agree with you, I actually had someone at the shop tell me to bleed the clutch fluid (haven't had time or the weather to do it yet). But like you said, don't you think they would have done that before I got the car back?? Maybe there is some air in the line. However, my question is this...Why would I have trouble at a standstill but be able to shift with no problems once the car got rolling? Thanks in advance.

------------------
94 Red/Black

NSXHEAT,

Is this a dual plate clutch, like the stock setup??

LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 20 May 2002).]

I have a 94 with 29k miles on it, and it has the factory clutch (I bought the car used with 25k miles on it, so I assume that it is the original clutch). I too have a problem sometimes when I am at a stop and I try to shift into 1st or reverse. It's very strange. Yes, the clutch is fully depressed. But the shift lever just won't slot into 1st or reverse. There's no grinding noise either, because the shift lever won't budge. If I can't get into 1st or reverse, I have to put it into a different gear first, and then try 1st or reverse again. Then it usually goes in just fine.

All the other gears are perfectly buttery.

I've read other people's posts saying they find it hard to shift from 1st to 2nd. I don't have that problem at all. In fact, 2nd is so slippery that if I shift out of 1st, sometimes the lever is already starting to go into 2nd.

So the solution is to bleed the clutch fluid? Why does air in the system make it difficult to move the shift lever itself?

-CiaoBoy

CiaoBoy,

I am going to make a guess. When you are at a light, do you have the clutch depressed while waiting??. Your issue sounds like the mainshaft in the trans is stationary, when you go to engage 1st. About the same as having the car turned off and trying to go into gear. If this is the case, you should depress the clutch just before you go into gear. Otherwise, the clutch pedal should be up.

Next time it happens to you, lift the clutch pedal for a moment, then depress it and try 1st again. If my idea is correct, it should go right into 1st gear.

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 20 May 2002).]

Larry,
Yes, it is a dual plate clutch. I already tried what you suggested about letting the clutch out, then depressing again...still no luck getting it into gear. Its only hard to put into gear when the car is at a standstill (hot or cold engine). It only started after I had the new stage 4 clutch put in a little while ago. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

------------------
94 Red/Black

Did you try driving someone else's Clutchmaster Stage 4 clutch before you bought yours? If so, did it behave the same as yours is now?

Thanks Gerry, thats what I need to know!
smile.gif
How is it holding up with the turbo? Any problems as of yet? Nsxtasy, no, not a stage 4, but a stage 3. Thanks for the replies everyone, it looks like I'm going to take it in soon as I can get some time off work. I'll let you guys know how it all turns out.

------------------
94 Red/Black

It is time to have the clutch re-initialized. It can be done in the car, by removing the plate on the trans case by the bell housing.

It sure sounds like the clutch is not dis-engaging completely. Try that first, it's the most inexpensive option at this point.

Then I would have the system bled to insure there is no air. Is the clutch pedal "firm" , or "soft"? If it feels "soft" definately bleed it.

nsxheat, I do not think that the problem that Ciaoboy is having is the same as yours. He mentioned that if he puts the trans in a different gear first, it engages 1st fine. I do not think this works for you correct??

HTH,
LarryB

[This message has been edited by Larry Bastanza (edited 21 May 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxheat:
...However, my question is this...Why would I have trouble at a standstill but be able to shift with no problems once the car got rolling? Thanks in advance.
Not saying that these are the reasons, but "1st gear" and "reverse gear" share the same shaft as 3rd 4th and 5th are on another. But I'm assuming from a "STANDSTILL" you can't even get into those gears as well. With the clutch fully depressed, what happens when you start the car while in 1st gear and with the parking brake off? Does the car crawl foward? Does the clutch engage as soon as you lift the pedal off the floor? Your pedal should raise about 3.5"inches off the floor before engaging... if not this also explains your struggle to properly drive your car. Check directly behind the clutch pedal, where the connected rod goes through the firewall.(maybe pull floor mat and carpet back) Is there any signs of fluid leaking there? If so, your Master Cylinder should be replaced.

Choritsu-shi
wink.gif

Larry, you are correct, my situation is not quite like Ciaoboy's...it is tough to get it into any gear, I've tried putting it in another gear first (especially 2nd) and then trying to put it into first gear...no luck. I haven't had time to mess with it much yet, might try to re-initialize like you suggested this weekend, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help, if you think of anything else I should try, I'm open for suggestion.
smile.gif

Sensei, the clutch engages near the top, past the halfway point. I understand your thought process though, but it doesn't seem to be the case with this particular problem. Thanks for your help, I know its frustrating, especially trying to help me diagnose the problem without even seeing the car. If you have any other ideas, I'll give them a shot too!
smile.gif
Thanks!

------------------
94 Red/Black

Back