• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New clutch recommendations?

Before spending some serious cash, I figure I had better ask the pros (you guys) what route I should go on ordering a clutch. I would go OEM, but I've got a little more power than stock due to some light bolt on mods, so I was thinking stage 1. I don't want to go stage 2 because its my understanding that stage 2 clutches don't fit at factory settings. Am I correct on that? I found a SPEC stage 1 clutch kit on eBay for a decent price. Anyone have any history with SPEC? Any other brands I must look into? I'd like to keep the cost under $1k for the part itself. Any help would be rad!

Just installed the SOS 275 clutch and it feels great and no issue with stalling even though the clutch and flywheel are like 10lbs lighter. I heard poor reviews from SPEC and nothing but good things about the SOS unit and for such an expensive fix I feel it is best to not try to save a few dollars to end up spending more later to fix what could have been done right the first time which will save you money in the long run.

A few dollars? Isn't an SOS clutch almost two grand? SPECS are available on eBay for 800. I don't mind spending more to make sure it's done right but I feel SOS is far over priced. On everything they sell as a matter of fact

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/164074-SPEC-Stage-1-wore-out-9K-miles!

Well you can always go with the cheaper one and try your luck like the link above. They do not have a good reputation like SOS or OEM but hey it is your car do as you please. Just trying to save you some money in the long run and seeing as how you are willing to risk the cost of do a clutch re install along with purchasing the more expensive one down the line totaling around 1500 or so wasted on the first one I don't see the point. You have to pay to play as this car is not cheap nor is it really all that expensive considering. Wish you the best on what ever you decide but if you are looking for support on the SPEC clutch I have a feeling you will not find it.

You can't go wrong with OEM for quality, fitment and reliability. It can handle bolt on mods no problem. If you are supercharged, go with the SOS.

A few dollars? Isn't an SOS clutch almost two grand? SPECS are available on eBay for 800. I don't mind spending more to make sure it's done right but I feel SOS is far over priced. On everything they sell as a matter of fact

Never heard of SPEC. Most people here run OEM or SoS, so if you want to chance it on a $800 Ebay clutch then go right ahead, who knows, maybe its a great clutch.

The OEM clutch is enough for your light bolt ons, heck alot of people here with CTSC's are still on the OEM clutch, including me.

Thanks Rope, I'll cross SPEC off the list. I may go OEM, but I want something that really grabs, chirps the tires etc. I dont really wanna go SoS. I think their prices are unfair and ultimately just laughable, not just on their clutches, but everything they sell. $300 bucks for the center tail light with a Honda logo? Over $2300 for tail lenses with a darker tint of red? its almost insulting. $500 for headlight faceplates that do absolutely NOTHING?! HAHAHA Honda badges for $80?! You can get them from the dealer for 13 bucks! I cannot support a company like that, a company that targets a group of enthusiasts and demands outrageous prices for low cost items. They've lost my respect as a company and they'll never earn my business. End rant.
I do appreciate all your help though, I suppose if SoS is the only other recommendation besides OEM, I shall go OEM

No worries, happy motoring. I will not take sides on the SOS prices but I have always enjoyed their customer service and have feel like they go out of their way to fulfill my orders at time as I can be a difficult customer. Yes some things are priced high but at the same time some things are not, just have to shop around. Considering their clutch is similar in price to an OEM unit, have the reputation of OEM quality yet provide me with a substantially lighter clutch/flywheel package I feel the price is reasonable and enjoy the feel of it over the OEM. To be honest it makes no difference to me which way you go or how you feel about a certain company as I have a few companies that I refuse to buy from.

Can't go wrong with OEM IMO. I run it on my SC NSX with no issues, as do many others.

My 93 NSX was upgraded to the 97+ single disc clutch and was having no problems handling 430rwhp and 300rwtq with 100k~ miles on the clutch.

I ALWAYS recommend OEM clutches until they can't hold the power.

It's much more driveable.

I have the SOS carbon carbon billet clutch.

It's much more grabby and not as easy to use as the OEM clutch. But once it's moving it's a joy to drive. The light weight flywheel and more abrupt clutch engagement makes my car sound more like a track car when you hear them change gears.

It's a pity there isn't a Centerforce DYOD clutch for the NSX. I've heard it's a dream.

Last edited:
Spec makes good clutches but many performance clutches aren't always driver friendly. A stiff pedal can get old quickly especially if it's not necessary.

I just got the SOS 275 clutch and flywheel kit installed and its great. I feel like I lost a little bit of the OEM clutch feel (or maybe its just super smooth because its new) but other than that I love it, and I can definitely feel the lightened flywheel, I'm currently trying to perfect my heel toe shifting again!

OEM TWIN DISK!

As long as it is installed 100% correctly it is the best clutch option there is.

installer needs to

lube input shaft

lube clutch fork pivot and throwout bearing

lube slave cylinder ball socket

AND initialize the clutch!

A propper break in is also important for chatter free life!

- - - Updated - - -

Are your pressure and mid plates worn out ? If no, just change the two discs and the release bearing with OEM.

Never do this.

It is not worth the hassle and cost to only replace the disks.

Once a clutch is worn out the flywheel, midplate, and pressure plate have hot spots and uneven material transfer.

also the hub springs are usually broken.

The clutch comes as an assembly of matched parts that should not be interchanged.

Last edited:
My son has had Exedy and Spec clutches. He had good luck with a Spec in a 240sx with a strong overboosted SR20DET. Currently he runs a Exedy twin disk in a stroked EVO8.5. Clutchmasters was a popular choice among the dsm crowd for awhile. And of course Civic lovers love ATC.

But I would go OEM every time.

Based on first hand experience I can only recommend...
OEM
SOS (275 or 350, though 350 is excessive for your need)
CT Power Grip (1 or 2, though 2 is excessive for your need)

I have had PG2 for 30k supercharged miles. Pedal is a bit heavy, but feel is great (smooth, linear, etc). Other two recommended will have lighter pedal and more-OEM feel.

Last edited:
I sort of wish I had done this. Went with SOS 350 and all it good (still need to adjust it a little bit), but can't help but imagine the with the 2 disc and a LWFW things would spin up even quicker. Did the ATI Super Damper as well. Between these two and the Volk CE28's I figure I have rotating mass cut by a good amount. Car feels very quick now.*

Side note: Love the feel of the SOS Damper Delete. Went with the 350 for the reason that it comes with this. Making the 275 w/delete only $150 cheaper. Now if I ever get to go forced, I'm ready. Still wonder about going twin-disc though and keeping thing NA. Car if very fun as is.*

OEM TWIN DISK!

As long as it is installed 100% correctly it is the best clutch option there is.

installer needs to

lube input shaft

lube clutch fork pivot and throwout bearing

lube slave cylinder ball socket

AND initialize the clutch!

A propper break in is also important for chatter free life!

- - - Updated - - -

Never do this.

It is not worth the hassle and cost to only replace the disks.

Once a clutch is worn out the flywheel, midplate, and pressure plate have hot spots and uneven material transfer.

also the hub springs are usually broken.

The clutch comes as an assembly of matched parts that should not be interchanged.

Back