• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX Owner - Service Recommendations

I just purchased a 1992 NSX. I am very much looking forward to my new driving experience! Even though the car only has 34,000 miles on it and the timing belt was replaced once (9 years ago), I feel I should do it again based on what I read. I live on the Maryland Eastern Shore. I am looking for recommendations on where to get the car serviced - either independent mechanics or Acura dealers. I am closest to Annapolis, but within an hour or so from DC, Baltimore or even parts of Delaware. Please excuse the duplication of this message - I am posting it on the three regional forums covering DC, MD, VA & DE. Thanks, Alan

Hi Alan, congrats on the purchase!

We have a pretty good group in the DC area, so if you don't mind a bit of a drive in to the city you have a good chance of meeting up with some folks who can give you some first hand info on maintenance.

If you are on facebook, we have been using that a bit for gatherings. It is a closed group, NSX owners only which I find keeps the conversations a bit more unrestrained. Send me a PM with the email address you use on Facebook and I will get you in to the group.

We have a few upcoming events that you may find fun:

May 31: some GTR guys are doing a run to Ocean City via the Eastern Shore. I did this last year and it was fun, although a bit "rough around the edges". We had one guy acting like an idiot and fortunately the police were kind enough to only pull over him and not our entire convoy. They start in Anapolis, but last year they went down Route 50 which I suspect is right in your neck of the woods. I can't make it this year, but a few other guys in our group are.

June 8: We are holding our annual "SuperNOVA" meet at the new Honda facility in Chantilly. Hoping for a solid turn out of cars and a good time. Sadly, I need to get off my butt and plan this out more! Lets just say more details will be posted shortly.

You can often find one of us at the DC area cars and coffees, and I know there are a few NSX guys who hit the Annapolis cars & coffee so hopefully you will meet up with some other owners.

Timing belt, water pump, coolant hoses, spark plugs, tranny fluid, oil and filter, and more...

Welcome to the community Alan. Looking forward to meeting you at an upcoming event. I'm hoping to get over to the C&C at Annapolis sometime this Summer.

Dave

Congrads and welcome!

The three NSX mechanics I know in the DC/MD area:

Ben - Daisy Imports - on NSXPrime(redbird92)
Jim Allen (NSX master mechanic) - Tischer Acura - don't think he's on NSXPrime
Xavier Lotuaco (NSX master mechanic) - Rosenthal Acura - on NSXPrime(Tech7042)

I just purchased a 1992 NSX. I am very much looking forward to my new driving experience! Even though the car only has 34,000 miles on it and the timing belt was replaced once (9 years ago), I feel I should do it again based on what I read. I live on the Maryland Eastern Shore. I am looking for recommendations on where to get the car serviced - either independent mechanics or Acura dealers. I am closest to Annapolis, but within an hour or so from DC, Baltimore or even parts of Delaware. Please excuse the duplication of this message - I am posting it on the three regional forums covering DC, MD, VA & DE. Thanks, Alan

Thanks to all for the welcomes and recommendations! My car is with Ben at Daisy and I already know that you steered me to the right guy. I am sure that there are a number of great NSX mechanics, but I can't imagine any better than Ben, and close-by to me to boot. Hope to see you at some events. Thanks again, Alan

If you want to be negative go f yourself
I have never ever ever overcharged or done poor work

Don't ever ask me to work on your car either

410-292-9259. Ben

Yes, but perhaps poorly chosen joke. I happen to think Ben is wonderful. If you are the type of person who wants to only fix problems after they occur and only then the ones that are critical, then perhaps you should look elsewhere. If you want to get an NSX in top shape then I think you would be hard pressed to find someone better.

I do plenty of work on my own cars, including my NSX, but wouldn't own an NSX without Ben knowing every bit of my car. And he saved my ass just last weekend where I dove into modifying my clutch pedal and couldn't loosen the adjustment locknut. Ben answered my call notwithstanding that he was in vacation, and told me the tool I would need to use (a line wrench).

Anyhow, it is my opinion that Ben's prices are very reasonable. And I trust his opinion.

-Jason

I have been taking my cars to Ben for a number of years and his prices are very reasonable compared to the dealerships around here. On top of that, the quality of the work has always been top notch.

Be ready to bend over and open your wallet. LOL that's how Ben likes it

If you want to be negative go f yourself
I have never ever ever overcharged or done poor work

Don't ever ask me to work on your car either

410-292-9259. Ben

bygyjesy.jpg

Lol at this defunct DMV "community". Where's the popcorn?

I've been taking my NSX to Ben/Daisy for 3 years and I've always felt that the prices have been reasonable and the work quality has been outstanding, so much in fact that I started taking my E39 M5 and my wife's Ford Fiesta to Ben as well.

See my write up from a few years ago, I'm a Daisy customer for life.

Guys,

This is Very Strange. I have known Ben for many years, talk with him on tech stuff in the past, great guy, and never have I heard anything about poor service/high pricing. I do not know why there seems to be an issue here, but I have always gotten rave reviews and comments in regard to Ben. I do not get it.

Regards,
LarryB

when I saw the comment from the negative poster, I thought to myself when people save their tip money at the end of their night shift a small repair on an NSX would wipe that tip money out in one shot LOL not saying this is the case but it was something I thought to myself and I thought was funny

then another one came to mind "Champagne taste beer income " not saying this is the case but was funny to think about.

carry on with original OP's question guys.

Larry
Thank you, nothing has changed on my end
My way of restoring these wonderful cars and doing the preventative stuff
Can be expensive, there has also been a few cars I have fixed things at budget on my njckel and time just to do it right

Also. Someone here on Prime is PM ing the above new member saying even we replace parts that aren't needed
Really???????? Show me some proof , we know who you are and have reported this to the moderator

When we do a tbelt job for example , cam and crank seals get done if over a certain mileage and age
And always t stat and TW sensor

Come forward with your proof !!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the moderator will reveal the person that thinks adding fuel to the fire is OK, so we all know not to do business with them.

I also have a very small list of people I wouldn't even sell a bolt too, even if they begged

there are also a handful of members that if they asked I wouldn't even charge them a dime for parts. Ben is one of them

WOW! I couldn't imagine what I thought to be a relatively logical and straightforward question would stir up such a hornets nest. [Although someone even took some exception to my question.] First, let me say that my service with Ben at Daisy is complete and I am very satisfied with the results. Based on my (admittedly one) experience, I have no qualms about the competence of his work, his prices and his thoroughness. I mention "thoroughness" because I believe that may be what leads to some or most of the "controversy". Ben obviously knows NSX's very well, including what can and does go wrong. And I will say that that there was some initial "sticker shock" on my part when Ben let me know what he thought should be done to the car. I now realize that a PPI would have been a good idea. Most of the items he recommended were unquestionably needed - the car's first timing belt in 10 years, leaking clutch cylinders, leaking AC compressor, cracked battery, plus a few others. There were some preventative maintenance items like belts and hoses that I could have postponed, but I now realize that the "peace of mind" and convenience of doing them all at one time was well worth it to me. I believe that my car is significantly better off as a result of the service. All of this notwithstanding, I still look forward to what hopefully will be a very pleasant and enjoyable experience with my NSX.

we don't want you to think this is your normal tit for tat website your gonna love this site we are def not civic.com or intergra.com or the other sites with 16 year olds. 99.9% of the time we will help everyone we can.

congrats on your new NSX and she will show you she is worth every penny. let the modding begin :biggrin:

Back