• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner in North Carolina

After searching for the right early NSX, I finally succeeded in locating a '91 in Maryland last year. A friend (who is also an accomplished auto restorer) was kind enough to look over the car for any signs of damage. Ben Schaeffer (Daisy Import Auto Care) then drove up to perform a Pre-Purchase Inspection on the car and sent me the following list:

1. Timing belt, water pump, tensioner, front crank seal, cam seals (4) and cam end plugs, alternator belt, A/C belt and repack tensioner pulley, valve adjustment with new cover gaskets sets

2. Replace all hoses, coolant tank, thermostat and gasket, coolant and TW sensor

3. Replace clutch master, slave cylinders and hose, bleed system with DOT 4 hd brake fluid

4. Replace weak trunk struts

5. Replace negative battery cable with one custom made by Ben.

6. Repair & replace both axles, replace old leaking CV boots and trans seals and fluid

7. Repair & replace fuel injectors. Send to RC Engineering for cleaning and calibration. New fuel filter and replace two fuel lines.

8 Upgrade to Stainless steel brake lines

9. Replace both inner front tie rods and alignment

10. New OEM wiper blades

11. Replace leaking brake master cylinder and inspect booster for damage, Repaint booster to look like new , Full system bleed

12. Repair & replace hot water valve, replace hoses and clamps

13. Newer radio

14. Send CCU Climate control to Brain K for a R&R

15. Install New speaker grilles

16. Replace Cracked Dash Vent panel

17. Main Relay

Based on the recommendations of Joe (my friend) and Ben, I purchased the car sight unseen.

Ben coordinated towing to his shop (I didn't want the car started due to the age of the timing belt.) It took some time for him to complete all the work that needed to be done, but it was worth it. A friend and I picked up the car last August and drove it back to NC. We stopped for fuel at non-ethanol stations I had mapped out beforehand and had dinner at the Texas Tavern in Roanoke.

Since then I have driven her on a few rallies and gone to some other events. The experience so far has been wonderful. I'm watching the forums to hear what events are coming up in 2016 and hope to see you all there!

Last edited:
welcome,you're really going to be glad you got the car. where in nc are you? there's an east coast meet in the works for april or may,probably in raleigh.

you can have a high degree of confidence in your car after having it thoroughly gone over by ben.he did a big mechanical refresh for me last year. the cleaning/calibration of the injectors made the most noticeable difference in the driving experience,the car pulls a lot harder and stronger now.some of the other work you had done to the car should avoid potential problems down the road.

now enjoy!

Last edited:
Cassidy, sounds like you are well prepared for a decade of trouble free driving your new NSX. Wondering what part of NC you are located? I am in the Raleigh area and maintain a roster of owners in the NC/SC/southern VA area. Approximately 60 owners in total. As Robbie mentioned we are planning the 3rd annual MidEast Mini NSXPO that has traditionally been during the month of May. Also, just announced is the 2016 NSXPO that will take place November 3-6 in Orlando. This should attract a large southeast crowd as well as many owners from the east coast in general.

Send me via e-mail ([email protected]) your name, location, e-mail address. I already have your prime ID and the year and color of your NSX.

Welcome to what may well be a life long obsession. I just recently purchased my second NSX...so I now have two sitting in my garage...1999 Black and 2002 Silverstone.

Congrats on your purchase.

Welcome! Is that Mabry Mill in the background of your avatar?

I'm in the Triad and looking forward to the meet in a few months. You are right about Ben - he did a spectacular job on the car. It feels like new.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome! Is that Mabry Mill in the background of your avatar?

Yes, it is. I first visited there when I was kid, and I always enjoy going back.

I'm in Madison NC...up 220 north from Greensboro near Virginia border.
If you are ever out cruising, stop in!
I try to do some local cruise-ins, Cars & Coffee, etc...
I also have a lift, most tools, and a little experience if you want to check your car out!

Congrats and welcome! Ben is a great guy, you pick the perfect PPI.

Congratulation Cassidy! You're going to love the car and the NSX Family. I wish I had known earlier that you were buying the car. Two items that I would have added to the very thorough list of maintenance items would have been upgrading the OEM Lost Motion Assemblies LMA's to new SOS LMA's, and inspecting the front intake cam bearings. I can almost guarantee that the LMA's in your car are sticking and adding a lot to valve train noise, unless they were previously upgraded. The reason for the front cam intake cam bearing inspection is because in the last year I personally know of 3 that have failed, including mine, and there are reports of others. The reason why they are failing is still unknown, but opinions range from loss of oil pressure due to tracking the car at high G's to type of oil, to infrequent starts on low mileage cars where the motor was not pre-lubed after and extended down time. It's my feeling that the failure in my motor was due to infrequent starts while the car sat mostly ins storage for 14 years. It may be a more common problem that just hasn't been documented.
If you intend in upgrading the radio, but want to keep the OEM look I would recommend Willman's Electronics. They have an Clarion upgrade that will retain your existing console and appearance. They can also sometimes repair OEM units if that's what you want, and if not I have another friend who might be able to do the repair. I have the Willman's upgrade. The other alternative is going with the one of the double din displays and consoles available.
Also, how are you window regulators? That's another weak point on the NSX.
One last item I would recommend is the SOS Oil Pressure Sensor Upgrade, which replaces the head mounted sending unit that's prone to failure due to heat and vibration.
After that's the sky is the limit on what you want to spend.

blakedpotato, I saw your car in Ben's shop the last time I was there. Mine is also a 1991 red/black car that has been there for a while. Ben is the best and any work he does is top notch. You're going to love the car and not have to worry about anything now that he is done with it.

Back