• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner- my first NSX

Greetings All- I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 32k mile 1999 Kaiser silver NSX-T (recently purchased on B.A.T.). I have all the service records and since the nearest dealer is in Denver (200+ miles from my home in Aspen, CO), I have talked with a local Honda dealer and an independent Japanese import shop about service. One of the dealer's service guys has experience with NSXs and the independent shop has 2 clients with NSXs. What do you recommend I do about service?

Attachments

• IMG_2299.JPG
    IMG_2299.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 549
welcome and nice buy. Reach out to Honcho,,,there is a nice Denver area owners group that may know of some places out your way.

Congrats! Definitely get with [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION]

Over recent years the amount of qualified NSX mechanics at dealerships have grown thin to none. I'm in the SoCal region. Despite the countless Acura dealerships here... I can't think of a single one NSX certified mechanic at any of them.. that doesn't they don't exist, but perhaps 5yrs ago I could name at least 2. While the NSX is "just like any old Honda" the new techs at dealerships simply are trained more digitally rather than mechanically. Check with the owners in your area for the local favorite. Just my $0.02.

What are your plans for the car? How many miles per year approx do you plan to drive it? It's beautiful.

Thanks for your input. I'll get in touch with Honcho ASAP. I purchased the NSX as a "single car collection". After years of owning multiple classic cars (and dealing with lots of maintenance, insurance, and storage issues), I've decided to sell all 12 of them and use the NSX for spirited weekend drives through the mountains, date nights, and even a car show or two.

Aspen is full of money so I'm sure there are some local shops that cater to the 1% who store nice cars at their ski house....

haha I'm actually being very real and honest..I have spent many winters in Aspen...been stuck at the airport...have flown into eagle and driven in ....so please remove chip on shoulder...

all I was saying was there should be a good chance that there is a shop that deals with all sorts of exotic cars...Of course I don't live there and if you are sure there are none then please reach out the honcho...

Mettelman said:
Greetings All- I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 32k mile 1999 Kaiser silver NSX-T (recently purchased on B.A.T.). I have all the service records and since the nearest dealer is in Denver (200+ miles from my home in Aspen, CO), I have talked with a local Honda dealer and an independent Japanese import shop about service. One of the dealer's service guys has experience with NSXs and the independent shop has 2 clients with NSXs. What do you recommend I do about service?

Welcome! Always nice to see a new NSX in Colorado. As others have mentioned, there are only two places in Colorado that I would even consider taking my own NSX. The first is Chris W. at Fisher Acura in Boulder. Chris is a factory-trained NSX tech and one of the few left at Acura who has the original Honda NSX training. However, bring your wallet- the dealer knows Chris is a rare bird and you will pay for it. The other option is Paul Z. at Mestas Auto near Pueblo. Paul used to work at Pikes Peak Acura and like Chris W. he is a factory-trained NSX tech. He retired from the dealer but is still servicing NSXs on the side at Mestas.

Of course, I'd be happy to look the car over for you too. My garage is backed up with NSX work right now (@NSX_n00b is next in line), but I can probably do some of the basic stuff for you.

Welcome! Always nice to see a new NSX in Colorado. As others have mentioned, there are only two places in Colorado that I would even consider taking my own NSX. The first is Chris W. at Fisher Acura in Boulder. Chris is a factory-trained NSX tech and one of the few left at Acura who has the original Honda NSX training. However, bring your wallet- the dealer knows Chris is a rare bird and you will pay for it. The other option is Paul Z. at Mestas Auto near Pueblo. Paul used to work at Pikes Peak Acura and like Chris W. he is a factory-trained NSX tech. He retired from the dealer but is still servicing NSXs on the side at Mestas.

Of course, I'd be happy to look the car over for you too. My garage is backed up with NSX work right now (@NSX_n00b is next in line), but I can probably do some of the basic stuff for you.

@[B]Mettelman[/B] I agree with everything Honcho said. There are several owners here who still go see Chris W. up at Fisher Honda in Boulder because he has been servicing their cars for years and trust him. Nothing wrong with that. The service manager there can be prickly depending on if he likes you or not and he knows the golden goose he has with Chris. The only good thing I'll say about Fisher is they don't care if you supply the parts, which I HIGHLY recommend you do, otherwise you will pay dealership premium on parts and dealership premium on labor. If you want exact labor rates for Fisher send me a PM. I personally will not deal with Josh because of his attitude and actions but YMMV.

Like Honcho mentioned the only other Honda trained NSX Tech in Colorado now works out of small independent shop in Peyton which is right outside of Colorado Springs. Paul Z does amazing work and has had his hands in Hondas since 1978. His rate is a fraction of what Fisher charges and if you can't supply parts he still has the network to get them cheaper than dealership MSRP.

Both locations aren't exactly a short trip for you but guys drive their cars to see these two from all over the state.

Hopefully you can enjoy the car a bit before the weather turns permanently up there. Hope to see you out on a couple of our drives next year. [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION] and I are pretty well tied into the owner's group in CO so let us know if you need anything.

Phoenix NSX

There was a Silver NSX-T that appeared on eBay 2 weeks ago. I tried to contact the owner but never got a response after 3 tries. The car looked pretty good w/88k miles and some service records. It had a $88k buy-it-now price but the bids didn't even make it to $60k. It was in Phoenix and looked like an Estate Sale as the owner had passed away and a friend was selling it for the daughter. You might check local classified ad or Craigs List in the Phoenix area. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. It looks like winter is here! I'll get in touch with you when the roads are drivable and take you up on your offer to look it over (a great excuse to take it on a drive!)

Mettelman I agree with everything Honcho said. There are several owners here who still go see Chris W. up at Fisher Honda in Boulder because he has been servicing their cars for years and trust him. Nothing wrong with that. The service manager there can be prickly depending on if he likes you or not and he knows the golden goose he has with Chris. The only good thing I'll say about Fisher is they don't care if you supply the parts, which I HIGHLY recommend you do, otherwise you will pay dealership premium on parts and dealership premium on labor. If you want exact labor rates for Fisher send me a PM. I personally will not deal with Josh because of his attitude and actions but YMMV.

Like Honcho mentioned the only other Honda trained NSX Tech in Colorado now works out of small independent shop in Peyton which is right outside of Colorado Springs. Paul Z does amazing work and has had his hands in Hondas since 1978. His rate is a fraction of what Fisher charges and if you can't supply parts he still has the network to get them cheaper than dealership MSRP.

Both locations aren't exactly a short trip for you but guys drive their cars to see these two from all over the state.

Hopefully you can enjoy the car a bit before the weather turns permanently up there. Hope to see you out on a couple of our drives next year. @Honcho and I are pretty well tied into the owner's group in CO so let us know if you need anything.

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your thoughts. I'll probably do minor service work locally and make the trip to Boulder or Peyton when it's time for something more significant than an oil change.

Congrats and welcome! Lots of people had their eye on your NSX on BAT.

As an aside...nice to know there is someone doing NSX service in Peyton...I visit Colorado Springs on a regular basis and next time I have my NSX out there I’ll keep this in mind.

Congrats and welcome! Lots of people had their eye on your NSX on BAT.

As an aside...nice to know there is someone doing NSX service in Peyton...I visit Colorado Springs on a regular basis and next time I have my NSX out there I’ll keep this in mind.

Next time you're out in Colorado Springs let me know, even without your NSX, and we can get some owners together.

NSX arrived, looks good

I'd like to meet you and have your "experienced eyes" look it over. It's winter here in Snowmass so it might have to wait until spring. Can you send me your contact info.?
Thanks,
Ed Mettelman
914-450-0688
[email protected]

I'd like to meet you and have your "experienced eyes" look it over. It's winter here in Snowmass so it might have to wait until spring. Can you send me your contact info.?
Thanks,
Ed Mettelman
914-450-0688
[email protected]

Sure thing. One tip about posting contact info on the forum is to break up your data so web-crawlers and spam bots won't grab it. For example: [email protected] becomes "john.smith ( a t ) gmail". Humans will know what you mean- spammers will not. Same with phone numbers: 111-222-3333 becomes One1One TwoTwo2 Three33Three, or something similar.

Huge Congrats and Welcome to the Madness!
She's Gorgeous! As most stated above: PM HONCHO!

Welcome. Honcho is a heavy...NSX_n00b is another. I'm down in Monument. On Facebook is the NSX Owners of Colorado page...that is another great resource for finding out about events.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to do my best to point you in the right direction if I can't answer myself.

Steve Glover

That is a very nice purchase. The low mileage cars do seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately.

My advice to all new owners is to start searching around for a shop manual. At 32,000 miles it is unlikely that you will have an immediate need for it; but, since the supply of NSX qualified mechanics is getting lean its useful to have on hand in case you have a problem and don't want to make the 200 mile drive to a qualified tech.

Back