• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner. NSX tools "must have" list

Excellent topic. I don't do much wrenching but am still interested in this.
I learned my lesson from the parts delays after Fukushima, so I've got lots of common spare parts, but am not sure what tools I may need.

New owner. NSX tools "must have" list...
Ratchets (1/4", 3/8", 1/2") and metric-sockets with adapters, wobbles and extensions, breaker-bar, adjustable & crescent wrenches, pliers, locking pliers/vise-grips, misc. sized clamps, screw/nut impact-extractor, hammer, tire-iron and polymer-coated lugnut socket/adapter, hex and torx keys/adapters, c-clamps, screwdrivers, torque-wrench, low-profile jack, creeper and stool, jack-stands, hydraulic-fluid bleeder stuff, oil drain-pan, funnels, A/C refrigerant recharge-adapter kit, magnetic reach-tool and nuts/bolts dish, voltmeter, dash/trim pry-tool, rubber-mallet, battery float/tender, jumper-cables, Shin-Etsu "grease", PB-Blaster penetrating-lubricant, Loctite, electrical tape, 2x4 lumber, Mountain Dew...

Last edited:

28968629.jpg

Most tools are the same as you would want for any car, such as:

• compressor (air pump)
  • jack
  • jackstands
  • gloves
  • knee pad
  • shop towels
  • chock
  • socket set
  • torque wrench
  • tire pressure gauge
  • impact driver
  • brake spreader
  • rear brake cube
  • pipe wrench
  • ratchet handle
  • brake goop for the back of the pads
  • funnels
  • screwdrivers
  • window cleaner
  • paper towels
  • fluids (engine oil, brake fluid, etc)

What's different about these for the NSX? Not much. You'll want a jack that can clear the NSX's jacking tabs (around 4 3/4" at stock ride height). If you want to take these tools with you on a trip (e.g. to the track), you'll want compact ones that fit easily inside the car, like the Harbor Freight lightweight aluminum jack, and you'll find containers no more than 11" high so they can fit inside the trunk. You know, like this assortment:

Packnsx.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say the free downloaded shop manual is the most important tool.
Reading the shop manual might be the second most important tool.

I was going to say a kegerator..... But the tools listed above are more correct.

Over the past few years I have spent insane amounts of money on new or upgraded tools. It seems like there is always something that you will need and not have or have but not have in the correct type or size...... That is just how wrenching goes!

-Alec

The lists above by Osiris and nsxtasy are about as thorough as you need. The two new tools I added in my garage after buying the NSX was a good set of jack stands (4) and a torque wrench. Make sure you have a good set of metric sockets and wrenches and I've been able to do everything I've attempted so far without having to buy or order any specialty tools.

If doing the timing belt, add the tool to hold the crank pulley, 3/4" breaker bar or impact wrench with appropriate socket size, and a 3/4" drive torque wrench, plus lots of band-aids from having to reach into those %$@#&! tight spots.

for the obd-2 cars....buy a reader to pull the codes yourself and reset depending on how benign.

Essential:
Ultra-tef Gel for coating bolts that connect aluminum to other metals
-- 13 bucks 1/4 oz..
link

Last edited:
After buying my NSX in 2007, and doing most of my work myself, the only two tools I added that are not common for most is the Honda valve adjustment tool and an inspection mirror. Both used in the valve adjustment. For the valve adjustment tool I didn't buy an actual Honda tool - instead a generic version from Amazon. I did have to buy a new floor jack for the lower clearance of the car.

In prep for a future replacement of all the hoses I bought a cable actuated cable clamp tool.

The NSX mechanics fender cover is a nice thing to have...currently one available in the Prime marketplace also! :smile:

The NSX mechanics fender cover is a nice thing to have...

Definitely agree. You can use generic ones but the NSX one is nicely designed for the car.

A spare main relay is a good part to keep in hand. Heck, keep it in the car - it's small.

A 22mm or 7/8 oxygen sensor crowfoot socket. You might get lucky and cheat it off with an adjustable wrench...we've all tried it. But just know the cab ride to the parts store was more expensive than the socket.

Some good stuff on these lists ... taking notes!
Love this place!:)

Back