• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner stopping in - 91 NSX Formula Red

Took a one-way flight down to south Florida and drove this 800 miles back without a single issue. All stock minus the wheels, 59k miles, new clutch/water pump, currently owner had it the last 12 years. Got it for a pretty good price so the GN is staying :biggrin:

IMG_20131230_112111_zps1f26983c.jpg

IMG_20131230_112822_zpsc13d4990.jpg

IMG_20131230_112920_zps7da81425.jpg

IMG_20131230_112938_zpsa05482ad.jpg

IMG_20131231_121948_zps63783e1f.jpg

Welcome! Car looks great. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Love the GN as well. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Ah Murfreesboro, I saw REM there in '88. Nice coupe there, fine road trip bringing her home I'm sure and welcome to the Formula Red club!
She has a nice stablemate there, I used to hunt GN's in my SVO back in the day. :)

Enjoy and welcome, love the grand national. 2 timeless cars

Man that thing looks like it's in awesome shape .. and low miles too. If the guy you bought it from had it for 12 years, hopefully he did the timing belt which is supposed to be done every 7 years even if you don't hit the pre-req mileage 80k mileage. If he didn't touch it in 12 years, then you may want to seriously put it away until you get it done .. otherwise, it could be a ticking time bomb.

Thanks everyone. I'm enjoying the heck out of it so far. Plans are to fix the radio, possibly add a double DIN setup and two nice door speakers, and then call it a day and enjoy it while keeping it stock! Unfortunately it looks like the GN might need to go in the spring.....have had it for 7 years and completely built it front to back.

Man that thing looks like it's in awesome shape .. and low miles too. If the guy you bought it from had it for 12 years, hopefully he did the timing belt which is supposed to be done every 7 years even if you don't hit the pre-req mileage 80k mileage. If he didn't touch it in 12 years, then you may want to seriously put it away until you get it done .. otherwise, it could be a ticking time bomb.

Yes, the clutch/timing belt/water pump were all done about 4 years ago (5k miles ago).:biggrin:

welcome...btw the new nsx 2.0 wants its wheels back:tongue:

So, 'cuda6pak' makes me think of the AAR 'Cuda (340 with three, 2-barrel carbs)...........no?

Welcome to Prime!
Brian

6 month Update:

Roughly 6 months into ownership and still loving it. I've had some of the typical aging issues so far. In March I had to replace the upper and lower drain plugs on the radiator as it developed a slight leak. Replaced the trunk gas stays, and also a failed clutch master cylinder. Luckily it was parked in the garage for that one, as I had just done a road trip to a car show the day before. So I went ahead and replaced both the clutch master cylinder and slave. Also, cruise control stopped working and I found some rubber bits and pieces on the floorboard (from bleeding the clutch) and realized the little plug had disintegrated. Ordered two new ones and replaced the clutch, then realized the brake one had already been replaced at some point, so I'll keep it as a spare. I figure I'll go ahead and replace the main relay at some point too, any other common items to start looking out for? The search button has helped a ton for these issues!

Sadly, I sold my Grand National in February. I had owned it for 7 years and taken it from stock to completely built 600hp street car. It was completely streetable and never let me down. I just could not justify having both cars and the extra money in the bank account has helped.

The car is such a head turner everywhere. It's completely different than any car I've owned, yet is very practical and useable. I've only put 800 miles on her since I got her home, but have loved every minute of it and take it out at least once a weekend. Future plans are to add the USA spec ipod adapter along with new speakers and amp, replace all coolant hoses (hopefully Barnman still works on these cars!), and keep up with maintenance. If I fall into a pile of money I may put some different wheels on there, but since the TSW's have brand new tires and it doesn't scrape coming up my driveway, I'll stick with them for now. Cheers!

nsx.jpg

Very Clean looking! Congrats!

Another "aging" issue fixed yesterday. The AC would get Luke warm after running it for a while. Did some searching on here and found out the water valve needed readjusting. 5 minutes later its ice cold!

so 6 months into ownership you haven't driven it? you drove 800 miles from FL and that's it? talk about not loving the car, drive it if you love it
:biggrin:

Now going on just over a year with the car. Got a new battery last week and a few preventative maintenance items installed today - main relay, fuel pump resistor, ignition switch. Have a new coolant tank ready to go in when I finally order all the coolant hoses. My girlfriend got a professional photoshoot for my birthday, something I've always wanted to do with my cars. Here are a few from the shoot.

nsxdw1_zps6b213fae.jpeg~original

DWD_7319small_zps82873885.jpg~original

DWD_7401small_zps1596b703.jpg~original

DWD_7351small_zps97977699.jpg~original

DWD_7550small_zpsb0e763af.jpg~original

DWD_7347small_zps6b80b8a2.jpg~original

Back