• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

New owner with a couple of questions

After wanting an NSX since the mid 90s, I finally pulled the trigger. Last month, I got a Formula Red 91 with 75k miles, full service records and in great shape. Let me first say how much I appreciate this forum. What a resource! I've had a number of questions answered and have learned alot about the car. I feel like a long term owner. The dedication of the members of this forum is much appreciated.

One little bump along the way: last weekend, I blew a radiator hose and the engine overheated. The good news is that I pulled over in time. The hoses have been replaced and a "hydrocarbon" test indicates no problems with head gaskets, etc. But, there is a small "mess" in the engine compartment and a lingering smell. Any tips on how to get rid of the smell (or is time the only cure)? And, there are some water stains on the various engine covers. What's the best way to get rid of those?

Thanks for the help. I'm looking forward to continued association with this group.

WELCOME! You need to post pics ASAP.

You need a good engine bay cleaning. I assume what you are smelling is left over dry coolant. Make sure you cover all the necessary parts and take a LOW pressure hose to the compartment after spraying some cleaner.

Im sure someone that has done it recently can share better info.

Did you replace ALL the coolant hoses? This is a great lesson to share with others on here that have anything older than about a 97/98 that they should replace all the hoses.

Rick, welcome to the NSX community. I noticed that you are located in Raleigh, NC. I too live in the area (Holly Springs). Since acquiring my NSX a little over 2 years ago, I have been actively setting up meets for owners in the area as well as maintaining an NC area owners roster. Currently numbers about 35 owners. Please PM me with an e-mail address and phone number if you'd like to be included in our roster of owners. I use the e-mail to communicate (directly) any announcements of NSX meets or other car shows that we attend as a group.

Another thing you may want to consider. We owners in the Raleigh area have the good fortune to have a Certified Master NSX Technician, Steve Gooding, who does NSX work in his spare time. I have a bio on him if you're interested. He has an amazing history with Acura and the NSX, lives near Lake Wheeler. and has a lift in his home garage/shop. He has helped/serviced almost all the Raleigh area NSX owners at one time or another. We've had him as a guest speaker at meetings we've had. Terrific guy! Looking forward to meeting you.

John

Back