• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner with a few questions. Please help!

I just picked up my 1991 NSX in Alabama this past weekend and I have a few questions that I would really appreciate help with. First, the car has upgraded OZ wheels with size 235/45/17 on the front. They rub the inner fender wells when turning sharply. Is this normal or is the tire size too large? Second, the windshield washers are not working. Is this a common problem or is there just something wrong with my car's system (and yes, I did check to make sure it had fluid). Struts for the engine cover and trunk are bad. Is there anywhere to purchase these for less than $300? I read the FAQ on the TCS system but it did not cover my problem. Under hard acceleration the TCS (green) light flashes on the dash and the performance is well off. My solution has been to just turn the system off. This would not have anything to do with the oversized wheels would it? By the way, my 14 hour drive home was done in less than 12 and I was comfortable the entire trip. Considering the performance, looks, and price paid, this is what I consider a true "super" car. People can have their brand new Ferraris, Vipers, and Gallardos but for the money there is no better car than the NSX. And all of this for $25,000. What a bargain! Thanks in advance for your help.

BR

45 series on your front is too tall,if you go 235 it needs to be 40 series.Most common is 215/40/17.What size are your rear tires?

nsx_roman said:
...the car has upgraded OZ wheels with size 235/45/17 on the front. They rub the inner fender wells when turning sharply. Is this normal or is the tire size too large?
Yes, too wide. I have 225/45/17 and they rub slightly at full lock. Although some people I've spoken to have NO rubbing with 225's.

nsx_roman said:
Second, the windshield washers are not working. Is this a common problem or is there just something wrong with my car's system (and yes, I did check to make sure it had fluid).
Doesn't sound like a common problem. The wipers won't turn? or the spray nozzels won't work?

nsx_roman said:
Struts for the engine cover and trunk are bad. Is there anywhere to purchase these for less than $300?
There are places. Some dealers offer internet discounts check the FAQ. Dali racing has some inexpensive parts. This is an easy Do It yourself job. I did mine in about 10 mins. If you can't find any PM me later, I can help you find some.

nsx_roman said:
I read the FAQ on the TCS system but it did not cover my problem. Under hard acceleration the TCS (green) light flashes on the dash and the performance is well off. My solution has been to just turn the system off. This would not have anything to do with the oversized wheels would it?
I don't think it's the size of your wheels, but this isn't an area where I have a lot of knowledge. Many people turn the TCS off anyway.

nsx_roman said:
By the way, my 14 hour drive home was done in less than 12 and I was comfortable the entire trip. Considering the performance, looks, and price paid, this is what I consider a true "super" car. People can have their brand new Ferraris, Vipers, and Gallardos but for the money there is no better car than the NSX. And all of this for $25,000. What a bargain! Thanks in advance for your help.
BR
Congratulations and Welcome! :biggrin:

-If the inner fender lining is bothering you, you can always take it off.... :smile:

-windshield washers, hmmm.....It might be clogged up....try checking the lines underneath the hood...if that doesn't solve it, your nozzle might be clogged...it's like $15-20/each

-for your struts, go here: http://www.strutwise.com/ ...it's like $160(Canadian $$) for all 4..

-I think your rims might be setting off the TCS but I'm not sure....if you want to completely turn it off, go here: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/disabletcsalb.htm

I'm guessing you mean the wipers work but the spray nozzles don't. Most times you can just unclog the nozzle with the end of a paperclip.

For the lift struts, I bought mine brand new for $48 a piece from http://www.hondacuraworld.com/ phone is 1888RAYLAKS. Changing them out is not too difficult.

good luck

Congrats on the new car...I'm a lurker who is simply here to research and learn all I can about this car, yet I hope to be in your position a year from now :biggrin:

Your fender rubbing and TCS problems are both occurring because you bought a car equipped with inappropriate tire sizes. The most common tire sizes used by those with 17"/18" wheels are 215/40-17 front and 265/35-18 rear. Replace your tires with those sizes and your fender rubbing and TCS problems should both go away.

nsx_roman said:
Struts for the engine cover and trunk are bad. Is there anywhere to purchase these for less than $300?
Yes. You can purchase parts for a discount from places like Delray Acura. For even better discounts, join the NSX Club of America (which you want to do anyway, right? ;) ) and get parts using your member discount from participating dealers like Niello Acura or Goodson Acura.

djskyy said:
-for your struts, go here: http://www.strutwise.com/ ...it's like $160(Canadian $$) for all 4..
Those prices are for refurbishing your struts, not for new ones. Add in the cost to send your struts to and from Canada. And you will be without the struts during the period while they are being repaired and in transit. If that works for you, go for it; Frank has a good reputation for excellent service.

Back