• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New paint job

I am sure this has been posted but I wanted to get some current feedback on those who have had their NSX repainted a differnet color.

I am thinking about something a little more "classic" like a charcoal grey with a bit of color in the clear (blue). Right now it is red and I am wondering if I am just dreaming to think that I can switch the colors....

am I crazy?

Re: New paitn job

Yes and no. You will most likely waste your money because if you goto sell a repainted car, you'll get less because of speculation as to why it was done.

Door jambs, engine bay, etc are all issues because unless you strip everything you will have parts of your car red, and the other part another color.

To do it right and strip everything will cost you $$$, think thousands.

If you're considering repainting an nsx, sell your red one and buy a black one to paint a different color. In the autobody world, its well known that a red car is a complete nightmare to do a color change on!!! It seems the red will for sure show up somewhere, some how.

Although if you wanted yours done, engine bay and all I'd bet a reputable shop would want 15k+

My nsx is at the moment in the paint shop. All over the car will get soon new color. Im doing 02+ conversion. I think car like nsx, which is 10 year old need repainting all over when you do big changes. IMO.
I have stripped my car by my self.
Only friend of mine take my engine out of my car. That take about 7 hour. It was his 1st time to do this with nsx.

I got so solid & cheap price from my friend who own the paint shop for repainting my hole car, so I don't even think about repaint it all over or not.
They are professional paint shop and they do everything what is needed...

Usually this repainting will cost about 5000+ usd here in finland, but I got offer from my friend which is about 1000 usd. So it was easy to say yes ;) .

This project takes much time. Winter is coming soon (still few month :biggrin:), so I have time to do service to my car at the same time.

Big job, but if you have time then it is ok. If you don't maybe you have to think it again.
Or maybe you have money, so you can just pay and someone do everything for you :) .
I don't have that much money so I do as much by my self as I could :)

-pegi-

Last edited:
10K-15K for a reasonable paint job?? Yikes, and I thought my qoute of 5K is a lot already. Where are you guys getting your paint jobs!?!? I think you guys are getting raped. :wink:

niM

Be carefull when repainting the NSX. As you know the car is aluminum. If you remove all the paint down to bare aluminum and if the tiniest spec of steel or iron dust gets on it and is not removed, that area will blister due to a reaction between steel and aluminum over time. The best way to repaint this car is not to remove all the paint but rather to paint over the existing paint after preparing the surface for the new primer.

A shop that does all aliminum body work would be the only safe place to do it. Extraordinary care needs to be taken, otherwise you can never be sure that there are no steel or iron dust particles on the car. I learned this from Joe L. of Vince's Autobody, who owns and paints lots of NSXs.

PS: Don't repaint a car that is perfectly ok. If you are rebuilding a car after an accident then it's ok. The value will be diminished otherwise.

Good luck,

Tytus

USD10k to paint??

i would suggest you to ship the car to other countries and do re-painting there..

for example here in Malaysia... the best quality paintjob (autoshow car standards) you can get is USD1.5k... inside and out paintjob... they can even strip the parts for you for that price..

but again, shipping the car can damage your X easily... :frown:

10K-15K for a reasonable paint job?? Yikes, and I thought my qoute of 5K is a lot already. Where are you guys getting your paint jobs!?!? I think you guys are getting raped. :wink:

niM
What the hell!!??!

You guys are getting insane quotes.I have got my s2k painted for $1,500 in and out at that.Crappy paint job? More like 1st place show winning,magazine cover & 5 page article quality.

It just pays to have connections. :smile:
2gt669x.jpg

Pearl white too!

that's what i'm doing in a few weeks. Black to white. "It doesn't matter if your black or white" M.J.

When your done post pictures please. I wish i would have gone this route instead of a respray. I went with Berlina black again but after only a few months it is already showing swirl marks and fine scratches. I was thinking of going with a wrap when i do a body kit. That way i will have pristine stock paint on the old parts in storage and a slick looking wrap on the new ones.

What the hell!!??!

You guys are getting insane quotes.I have got my s2k painted for $1,500 in and out at that.Crappy paint job? More like 1st place show winning,magazine cover & 5 page article quality.

2gt669x.jpg

Pearl white too!

man dude...all you ever say is how cheap you had stuff done...:(

It does pay to have connections, but how is your connection going to help this guy in Nebraska?
----------------------------------
In reality, paint is paint. It's the color in the can - we've all heard that before. The difference is in the workmanship and attention to detail. How good was the prep, the primer, the base, the clear, the wet sand, the color match, the tinting, the intentional orange peel, the match panel to panel, the gloss, the final buff...you get the idea.

You will not gat a factory-like repaint on the NSX for $1500.

It does pay to have connections, but how is your connection going to help this guy in Nebraska?
----------------------------------
In reality, paint is paint. It's the color in the can - we've all heard that before. The difference is in the workmanship and attention to detail. How good was the prep, the primer, the base, the clear, the wet sand, the color match, the tinting, the intentional orange peel, the match panel to panel, the gloss, the final buff...you get the idea.

You will not gat a factory-like repaint on the NSX for $1500.

I understand what you are saying BUT 1500 dollars in other regions is different than 1500 in larger more affluent areas. In reality a excellent painter in Kentucky can do alot for 1500-2000 comparing to california due to cost of raw materials cost of markup, time, ect. I have seen factory paintjob quality for 2500 dollars. It just depends on time of year, business for that certain individual, and how his schedule is. Skill is skill. A excellent accountant, business owner, basketball players get more money in higher money markets. The same could be said for a painter.

10-15k for a paintjob is way too high...I am sorry.

niM

I'd say 10k+ is a starter.. I paid $5k just for the "nose", but it was WELL worth it.. it looks perfect...

I used to own a body shop and was an R&M dealer for a number of years and there is a BIG difference in paint work... a lesser job may look nice for 6 months, but long term, the only way is to strip the car, remove EVERYTHING, block it and shoot.

just my 2cents.

I'd say 10k+ is a starter.. I paid $5k just for the "nose", but it was WELL worth it.. it looks perfect...

I used to own a body shop and was an R&M dealer for a number of years and there is a BIG difference in paint work... a lesser job may look nice for 6 months, but long term, the only way is to strip the car, remove EVERYTHING, block it and shoot.

just my 2cents.

I had all of this done to my car for $7,500 but it took them several months and this was during a slow period for them.

The paint work was pretty good but they could have done a better job on some of the buffing in the hard to reach areas. I have noticed after detailing my car that they didn't buff the undersides of the mirrors real well. They also left a tiny hole near the front emblem. The emblem mostly covers the little hole but if you look at an angle you can still see it. I also noticed a tiny spot on my roof where i think they nicked the paint and then tried to touch it up rather than repainting the roof again. There is also a touch up looking spot on the side of one of the headlight housings too.

All in all i would rate the job an 8.5 out of 10. Ten being oem perfect.

Another thing that upsets me is that they painted over the rubber gaskets attached to the b pillars and also the rubber around the door handles.:mad:

They also did a terrible job on installing the top trim on the windshield. It looks so bad that i have ordered another piece of trim from Acura and plan on having the dealer install it.

Here in Southern Cali a nice paint job ranges between 6k-10k.

There's a shop in Orange County area that goes down to taking off the rubber seals and they charge about 7k with a turn around period of 3 weeks.

Back