• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Tires for Stock 02-05 Wheels

I'm looking at new Yokohama tires for the stock 02-05 wheels and it seems like the S.Drives are end of life.

I can still get some closeouts at Discount Tire, but they say the Advan Flexa V701 is the replacement.

Anyone have experience with this new Flexa V701? Should I go with closeout S.Drives or try the Flexa? Any opinions or experience with these tires?

No experience with those, but I just put the Pirelli PZero Nero GT tires on my '02+ wheels. They are a 280 treadwear tire but a slightly softer sidewall and a lot less tread noise (so far) than the autocross-style 200 treadwear tires. I like them so far.

They should not be used when ambient temps are less than 45F though.

No experience with those, but I just put the Pirelli PZero Nero GT tires on my '02+ wheels. They are a 280 treadwear tire but a slightly softer sidewall and a lot less tread noise (so far) than the autocross-style 200 treadwear tires. I like them so far.

They should not be used when ambient temps are less than 45F though.

I'm interested in the Pirellis, if you could post when you have some more experience with them that would be greatly appreciated. Concerning the temperature warning, that's theoretically true of any summer tire. Are these especially sensitive to the cold?
Here in North Carolina it doesn't get cold enough for long enough to justify winter tires, so I have driven the car on S.drives and on Potenza RE11s in temperatures down into the 30s or below with no problem, I just don't push it when it's cold.

Last edited:
I'm interested in the Pirellis, if you could post when you have some more experience with them that would be greatly appreciated. Concerning the temperature warning, that's theoretically true of any summer tire. Are these especially sensitive to the cold?
Here in North Carolina it doesn't get cold enough for long enough to justify winter tires, so I have driven the car on S.drives and on Potenza RE11s in temperatures down into the 30s or below with no problem, I just don't push it when it's cold.

Will do! I'm curious myself about the wet performance.

Per Pirelli's warranty for these, compound cracking may occur due to use in ambient temps less then 45F. There is probably some engineering variable margin for the glass transition temperature where compound cracking actually occurs, but I don't plan on testing it below 45F to find out what that is! I've driven the NSX in cold 20F temps with summer tires too in the past, but some of these newer compounds really don't like the cold.

Yea the Z2* are no winter-performance tire but they certainly don’t crumble to dust as the warnings might have you believe. I suspect the same is true with many summer tires.

[MENTION=30171]Computron[/MENTION], what type of driving will you do? Other options for matching 215/40-17 and 255/40-17.
1. Advan Neova AD08R
2. Dunlop Direzza Z3
3. Pirelli P Zero Nero GT
4. Falken Azenis RT615K+
5. Yokohama S-Drives
6. Sumitomo HTR ZII

You didn't specify if you drive all year around or just summer. if no winter driving is anticipated I would seriously look at the Advan A052. From the reviews I've read these test out better than the RE-71R or the AD08R.

I only drive in the summer and I don't track the car... just normal driving, so I chose the new Yokohama Advan Fleva V701.
It's supposed to be the replacement for the S.Drives and seems great so far!

Thanks everyone!

Back